• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of SMSL M300 MkII Edition

Static Albatross

Forum Donor
Second impressions time. The main body of the unit seems sturdy enough to resist most attacks. The lack of knob also prevents volume adjustments by malicious actors. The remote is light enough to be carried off in the night however.

M300_HDR.jpg

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was deciding between this and Schiit Modius so I could have a balanced input for the A90, but went with M300 MkII because it's a better value. Arrives tomorrow - Amir has one but hasn't reviewed it, right?

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
Any feedback on how the different "sound color" modes affect the sound?

Also can anyone comment on how the volume on bluetooth mode compares to the rest of the inputs?

Thanks!

olinko

Any feedback on how the different "sound color" modes affect the sound?

Also can anyone comment on how the volume on bluetooth mode compares to the rest of the inputs?

Thanks!
Can't speak to the bluetooth feature because I haven't used it once. But as for the sound colors, I personally don't hear a difference (and won't even try pretending otherwise :D )

The only thing I do hear is the difference between the narrow and wide DSD filter; the latter being somewhat artificial in how it presents the stereo image

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any feedback on how the different "sound color" modes affect the sound?!
Yes I’m trying to figure this out as well. What are they doing exactly? @SMSL-Mandy explained that they come as part of the AKM chip, but the data sheet is way over my head.

quantumfish

Not that it matters but I can't seem to find a crosstalk measurement anywhere for this. Would someone be able to direct me to one?

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not that it matters but I can't seem to find a crosstalk measurement anywhere for this. Would someone be able to direct me to one?
I'm under the impression that crosstalk is not an issue with current DACs so it's not published/tested any longer (guesstimate: ~-130dB).

nyj585

I am stuck between buying this DAC and the LA-QXD1 for the balanced inputs? I know the SINAD and dynamic range is higher on the M300 MKII than the LA-QXD1. Overall, is the M300 MKII better than the LA-QXD1? I'm still a newbie when it comes to reading graphs.

Also, I don't require balanced outputs and I'm fine with RCA. How does the M300 MKII compare to the E30 aside from the balanced vs RCA? Again the M300 MKII seems better, but it is also $70 more.

Veri

Master Contributor
Also, I don't require balanced outputs and I'm fine with RCA. How does the M300 MKII compare to the E30 aside from the balanced vs RCA? Again the M300 MKII seems better, but it is also $70 more.
M300 is marginally better but for SE, you might as well just settle for the E30 (imo).

Tks

Major Contributor
M300 is marginally better but for SE, you might as well just settle for the E30 (imo).

@nyj585

Yeah if you really don't care at all about Bluetooth input, or Balanced, you can just go E30. But those are two pretty nice things to have, and for $70, it would have been unheard of just a year ago.

Gizmo1k

does anyone know what the max Vrms output is at max level on XLR. i'm trying to figure out if this puts out close to the 6.8 V that the M500 does.

coomean

does anyone know what the max Vrms output is at max level on XLR. i'm trying to figure out if this puts out close to the 6.8 V that the M500 does.

It is stated as 4.2 Vrms through XLR in the owner's manual

TheGame21x

Hi all! First time commenter, longtime reader. I ended up buying one of these to replace my Topping D50. The D50 served me exceptionally well the past couple years I've had it but I ended up wanting something balanced that would play nicer with my THX AAA 789 and give me bluetooth capabilities and hit the transparency point (the ~115db SINAD or so figure) so I've basically reached my endgame. It sounds great! I'd even say it sounds...blacker to my ears but I have no scientific basis for that. But yeah, I definitely recommend it if you've got ~$240 to spend on a DAC.

Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Headfonia review is up
https://www.headfonia.com/smsl-m300-mkii-review/

On the Pre-mode:
“I have tested this using the M300mkII’s balanced XLR out to JBL’s LSR305P MKII active nearfield monitors. Compared to the M300mkII & JDS Atom combination, pure dac/pre mode offers much better PRaT. You instantly feel the increased dynamics as the overall signature becomes a little more aggressive and authoritative. Highs are sharper, timing is quicker. Bass range feels even tighter.”

There is nothing special going on in the pure Dac mode other than fixing the volume, right @SMSL-Mandy ?

Last edited:

Saxkun

Received mine yesterday and I am testing it with a thx 789, so far so good, sound is amazing, after a couple weeks with only my old fiio e10k everythong sound just fuller and with more body behind every note, for an uneducated ear like mine this pair may very well be endgame.
Anybody knows if installing the driver from smsl page is worth it?

Top Bottom