• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of SMSL M300 MkII Edition

Wellll I only ever really saw proof with the Sabaj D5 with its 9038Pro chip, which could sound better once warmed up. Otherwise, I would find it more plausible the burn in is in your head :p

I should clarify: I've seen it twice, both with brand new equipment. A period of operation seemed to be required in order to bring them up to speed. Once 'broken in', I haven't heard any on-going warmup issues.

I would point out that I primarily listen to physical, acoustic orchestra instruments, and having played such an instrument myself, I know what to expect in terms of sound. String quartets, particularly the cellos therein are great points of reference: there is the gritty rosin on the bow, and a smooth sleek sound which has to be rendered without descending into a metallic clatter in the lower register.

Some of these YouTube reviewers prognosticate, and then you catch them evaluating with electronic music. Nobody has any idea what these electronic instruments were supposed to sound like because they never physically existed. If the reviewer likes the particular 'sprong' sound of a particular electronic instrument played through a particular DAC, then fine. But don't say the DAC sounds better or worse or there is no difference in the rendition of competing DACS. Garbage In = Garbage Out, particularly in the case of a good DAC.

All, of course IMHO :)

bannani

Yo,, I just received my SMSL M300 MKII, I just connect it and let it burn a little bit, the first sound in comparison with my Topping DX3, is little different..Time will tell me.

wassim01

Yo,, I just received my SMSL M300 MKII, I just connect it and let it burn a little bit, the first sound in comparison with my Topping DX3, is little different..Time will tell me.
For my experience with this dac m300 mk2, you need more than 100 hours of burn-in to have all its potential especially for the separation of instruments which was mediocre at the beginning, but now after weeks of use this dac has a sound stage much wider and better imagery, the separation is phenomenal on a 3d plane.

don't forget to install the XMOS driver version V4.6 (2019-06-28):
http://www.smsl-audio.com/download.asp

Last edited:

bannani

Hi Wassim, Thanks, Can you tell me how to put this driver xmos into this smsl 300 ?
I ve not do it but I can already say that it is way way beyond my expectations in comparison of my DX3 pro.
Thanks Wassim for your help

bannani

OK I found the procedure ine their website but do I need it since I do not use this dac with a PC but with an SMSL DP3 music server.

Veri

Master Contributor
OK I found the procedure ine their website but do I need it since I do not use this dac with a PC but with an SMSL DP3 music server.
The driver is just for PC.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For my experience with this dac m300 mk2, you need more than 100 hours of burn-in to have all its potential especially for the separation of instruments which was mediocre at the beginning, but now after weeks of use this dac has a sound stage much wider and better imagery, the separation is phenomenal on a 3d plane.

don't forget to install the XMOS driver version V4.6 (2019-06-28):
http://www.smsl-audio.com/download.asp

I never heard that before. Is dac burn in is a thing ?

odyo

your brain "burning in" is, on the other hand :D
Brain is really tricky. I have DT 1990 which has balanced and analytical pads. I also bought dekoni elite velour for it. All of them sound different. Analytical pad was my least favourite but lately i can't listen with other two pads. Analytical sounds so much better lol. Dekoni sounds like sound bouncing around a lot and become a dirty. Balanced is just crazy aggressive blasting my ears. Analytical is just perfect lol.

There is just tooooo much factor to effect our perception.

Veri

Master Contributor
Brain is really tricky. I have DT 1990 which has balanced and analytical pads. I also bought dekoni elite velour for it. All of them sound different.
That is different though, the pads have a large role in the sound via dampening and ear distance. It is not surprising at all that there are differences, dekoni even has measurements on their website comparing to stock earpads.

Last edited:

odyo

That is different though, the pads have a large role in the sound via dampening and ear distance. It is not surprising at all that there are differences, dekoni even has measurements of their website comparing to stock earpads.

Of course :)

gsp

Hi everyone, first time in this forum. I am not an audiophile, just a practioner. I recently purchased the SMSL M300 MkII DAC based on ASR reviews. I have used it with my TV and HiFi system and so far I am pretty satisfied with it. In particular, I like the versatility of M300 since it accepts input from Bluetooth, Optical/Coax and USB as well. I am thinking to use it also with my headphones and in perspectives I am considering to get the SMSL SP200 as a companion.

Meanwhile, I tested the use of my headphones (Goldring DR-150, open-back over-ear headphones with a quite good natural and balanced sound, imp. 32 Ohm) connecting them directly to the RCA line out (2.1Vrms). Result seems pretty good to my ears (please don't laugh), not very loud but a comfortable listening sound at max DAC volume. With the XLR line out (4.2Vrms), I expect the sound to come out even more powerful (I have no XLR->jack cables yet). Now, I am aware of potential issues related with (possible) distortions arising from a wrong DAC-headphone impedance match. Nevertheless, as I said, to my ears the result is pretty good. This is by no means a technical analysis but I am very curious about your opinion and especially I'd like to know:

1) Does anyone know the impedance of the M300 DAC RCA/XLR line out? I couldn't find any information on the manual/website. If DAC line out impedance is low (though I am afraid it is not), it could support my pleasant experience.

2) Did anyone try the M300 DAC with (directly connected) headphones? Possibly, audiophile headphones with variable impedance.

In the next days, I am going to test the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm headphones and XLR line out, if anyone is interested. Thanks.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Hi everyone, first time in this forum. I am not an audiophile, just a practioner. I recently purchased the SMSL M300 MkII DAC based on ASR reviews. I have used it with my TV and HiFi system and so far I am pretty satisfied with it. In particular, I like the versatility of M300 since it accepts input from Bluetooth, Optical/Coax and USB as well. I am thinking to use it also with my headphones and in perspectives I am considering to get the SMSL SP200 as a companion.

Meanwhile, I tested the use of my headphones (Goldring DR-150, open-back over-ear headphones with a quite good natural and balanced sound, imp. 32 Ohm) connecting them directly to the RCA line out (2.1Vrms). Result seems pretty good to my ears (please don't laugh), not very loud but a comfortable listening sound at max DAC volume. With the XLR line out (4.2Vrms), I expect the sound to come out even more powerful (I have no XLR->jack cables yet). Now, I am aware of potential issues related with (possible) distortions arising from a wrong DAC-headphone impedance match. Nevertheless, as I said, to my ears the result is pretty good. This is by no means a technical analysis but I am very curious about your opinion and especially I'd like to know:

1) Does anyone know the impedance of the M300 DAC RCA/XLR line out? I couldn't find any information on the manual/website. If DAC line out impedance is low (though I am afraid it is not), it could support my pleasant experience.

2) Did anyone try the M300 DAC with (directly connected) headphones? Possibly, audiophile headphones with variable impedance.

In the next days, I am going to test the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm headphones and XLR line out, if anyone is interested. Thanks.

Just get an entry priced but great performing headphone amp such as the JDS Atom or the Schiit Heresy. $100/- and you're done.

Veri

Master Contributor

Tapping into the line-out of a DAC can change the frequency response of your headphones since you're connecting the wrong load. Some headphones like planars could actually work fine, but dynamic headphones can sound a lot different than they are intended to.
Also there's no such thing as XLR -> "jack" cable, XLR is a balanced output you should never try to convert this to unbalanced jack. Worst case you damage or break your DAC.

gsp

Ok, I understood that frequency response change may depend on the relative impedance of headphone and amplifier, then my question about SMSL M300 RCA line out (https://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html).
Anyhow, I believe it is safer to get a good dedicated amplifier for my headphones, thanks for the suggestions.

I noticed that JDS Lab Atom has RCA input. Can you please suggest to me how can I connect simultaneously both stereo amplifier and headphone amplifier through RCA cables from SMSL M300 DAC?

Veri

Master Contributor
I noticed that JDS Lab Atom has RCA input. Can you please suggest to me how can I connect simultaneously both stereo amplifier and headphone amplifier through RCA cables from SMSL M300 DAC?
Easiest is to connect M300 DAC to JDS labs Atom over RCA cable. Then, Atom also has RCA pre-out to connect Atom with your stereo amplifier. Easy!

gsp

Easiest is to connect M300 DAC to JDS labs Atom over RCA cable. Then, Atom also has RCA pre-out to connect Atom with your stereo amplifier. Easy!

Thank you very much! On your experience, can audio signal be significantly affected by RCA cables? Should I care when buying some cables and, in case, which one do you suggest or which features should I look at?

Veri

Master Contributor
Thank you very much! On your experience, can audio signal be significantly affected by RCA cables? Should I care when buying some cables and, in case, which one do you suggest or which features should I look at?
I think RCA is a pretty crap standard so I do like to use quality ones. I like both Ghent Audio and "World's Best Cables" on amazon. however it's a little more difficult to order electronics/tech stuff on amazon right now, because essential items are prioritised due to COVID..

Toku

Major Contributor
About RCA XLR audio output of DAC, which is often misunderstood

The RCA and XLR outputs are basically voltage outputs and are not capable of powering headphones or the like. The power W is the output voltage V multiplied by the output current I, and is calculated by W = V x I.
The RCA or XLR audio output can output a sufficient voltage V, but has almost no ability to flow a current I. So it doesn't have the power to drive headphones. Forcibly connecting the headphones may damage the audio output circuit. The output impedance is quite high, but in rare cases it can work well with high impedance headphones or low volume.
Even with the same audio output, the headphone output constitutes a small power amplifier that has significantly increased the current I capacity.

Top Bottom