• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of SMSL M300 MkII Edition

Spilly44

No answer from SMSL.Mandy from smsl gave me her email address which bounced as unknown from 2 seperate e mail addresses.Not impressed at all.Will not be purchasing any SMSL stuff again.Poor customer service !

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wonder if some folks are using a modern iPad with this DAC?

I have an lightning to USB adapter with power, feeding a powered USB hub (where all USB outputs can be switched on/off).

All of my other three DACs (Oppo UDP-205, Gustard X16 and Musician Pegasus) work perfectly with this setup. SMSL locks on, shows 44.1 irrespective of the actual streaming frequency in Qobuz and produces no sound. And iPad acts as if nothing is connected and plays via it's own speakers.

I can probably connect it via coaxial coming out of my USB bridge, which I know works perfectly in my setup, but shouldn't have to.

Edit: Nevermind, USB connector at the hub wasn't seated all the way. Works great now! What a nice DAC this is!

Last edited:

olinko

Almost two years of use of this DAC and I don't see myself buying another DAC anytime soon - if ever.
I only wish it had a S/PDIF out, but that's really nitpicking :)

doug2761

Forum Donor
Coming with the Sanskrit 10th AK4493 Edition, there is also an upcoming SMSL M300 MkII. It seems that there was a measurement requirement for M300 before the forum?
Did you happen to measure the device with preamp mode turned on? Wondering if there's much of a change in the measurements in that mode compared to fixed output.

DUKE-DUKE

Hola.

¿Las salidas XLR en el SMSL M300 MkII están realmente equilibradas o son solo para decoración o conveniencia?

Muchas gracias.

Saludos.

doug2761

Forum Donor
I was playing around with my new Cosmos ADC and did some measurements of my SMSL M300 MKII. I was surprised that the harmonics of the 1 kHz tone were different than the measurements done by @WolfX-700. Attaching for folks to see. Looks like the distortion I measured has the third harmonic as the highest and WolfX-700 had the second harmonic as highest. I'm still figuring out how to use ADC so possible I've done something incorrect. Thoughts?
SMSL M300 MKII.jpg

doug2761

Forum Donor
I was playing around with my new Cosmos ADC and did some measurements of my SMSL M300 MKII.
I think I've answered my own question. I still get a different progression of harmonics with third still being higher than the second but I'm now getting SINAD results in line with WolfX-700's. This DAC has a setting called, "High Sound", that isn't very descriptive. I think that this setting puts the AKM 4497 into high power mode and in that mode we get dynamic range and distortion in line with manufacturer specs and Wolf's measurements. Here's the graph with the M300 MKII in High Sound mode.
SMSL M300 MKII HighSound On.jpg

Grumpy

[QUOTE = "pdm555, príspevok: 569546, člen: 22149"] Otvoril niekto tento DAC? Chcel by som vedieť, aké zosilňovače sa používajú na analógových výstupoch. [/ QUOTE]

hello friends! Good question ... so I opened it and took a picture. they are: OPAMP Texas Instruments L4562 MA
Have you more pictures from inside ?
Thanks

zajogungster

zajogungster Thanks for your time. hobe your satisfied with your SU 9 PRO ;)
Thank you for asking!
I am really very satisfied, I was expecting an improvement, but not a shock! because he really came. SMSL M300MK2 is a good DAC, but it had a few shortcomings, for example, micro USB-B where there are not many serious Hifi cables on the market. When turning on and off, there was a loud pop in the speakers and it had a pretty average BT.
SMSL SU 9 Pro is a completely different architecture. Everything works at a level, there is nothing to complain about (except for 3 small rubber feet) which I replaced with 4 strong anti-skid ones from AL.
The sound was more emphatic at first hearing, it can also control monoblocs, BS 6 Focal active speakers, they showed a completely different level with this DAC!!! The most radical change was in the presentation of the space and strength of the bass. I even like the sound more than the T+A DAC 200 (from the price of €5700)
I appreciate that it doesn't add anything, doesn't take away, doesn't prefer, it's just a good DAC!

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I've answered my own question. I still get a different progression of harmonics with third still being higher than the second but I'm now getting SINAD results in line with WolfX-700's. This DAC has a setting called, "High Sound", that isn't very descriptive. I think that this setting puts the AKM 4497 into high power mode and in that mode we get dynamic range and distortion in line with manufacturer specs and Wolf's measurements. Here's the graph with the M300 MKII in High Sound mode.
View attachment 230982

Just got a response from Kelly at S.M.S.L. about what high sound does:

"It is like a EQ style and make very little change on sound output,sometimes can not feel it."

I'll follow up and see if I can get more info.

ttt

I just bought one because of AK4497 dac chip quality and good reviews. Very well built and organized device, clean PCBs inside, quality LM4562 OPAs, Onsemi LC89091 DIR for toslink, XMOS...
However, it sounds dull, holds back, blunt, "dark" :(
Compared to the SMSL SU-1. SU-1 has similar output architecture (dac to opa), using the similar OPA LME49720.
Both are feeded by same good quality linear PSU. I know that from measurement view it's OK but compared to SU1 and E30 (original), it is big disappointment :( It should not sound so bad I hear. I beleive that measurents first, but from listening side it's not OK.
Would it be possible that the new AK4493S dac is so better then the oldish 4497?

Last edited:
Top Bottom