• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will consumers buy the Dutch & Dutch 8C?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Agreed, there's no magic inside these space age monkey coffins outside of the intelligent use of DSP/DRC.
??? The ported loading of the front midrange serves to provide a dispersion pattern to match the pattern of the wave-guide/tweeter. Who else has done that?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
??? The ported loading of the front midrange serves to provide a dispersion pattern to match the pattern of the wave-guide/tweeter. Who else has done that?
You mean the cardioid feature? Because ME Geithain did it first and better (down to 30 Hz). If not that, I don't really understand your post.

Lorenzo74

I was impressed both by the sound quality and the quality of engineering exhibited by the Dutch & Dutch 8c. Even without REW, the 8c's response extends at full level to 20Hz. But with the REW integration and the ability for a pair of these speakers to act as a Roon endpoint, which will be available by the time you read these words (footnote 5), I echo Kal's conclusion that the D&D 8c demonstrates that active, DSP-empowered speakers are the future. And I also echo what I wrote in our original review: "Wow!"—John Atkinson

Something you were used to read every 10-15 years. But recently it happen more often...

Kii Audio's Three demonstrates that judicious use of DSP in a powered speaker allows a multiway, moving-coil design to offer superb performance in the frequency and time domains—things that are usually mutually exclusive. Other than that rather lively enclosure, which raised my eyebrows, I was impressed by the Kii Three's measured behavior. Very impressed.—John Atkinson

With all this premise I’m wondering who should go, nowadays, for passive speakers...?:rolleyes:
@Kal Rubinson ;)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
You mean the cardioid feature? Because ME Geithain did it first and better (down to 30 Hz). If not that, I don't really understand your post.
Acknowledged but hardly a factor in the home market, even compared to that of the D&D plus the Kii.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
With all this premise I’m wondering who should go, nowadays, for passive speakers...?:rolleyes:
@Kal Rubinson ;)

As others have pointed out, in a domestic environment, acoustic performance is not the only factor. I mulled this over in print when I decided to stick with "traditional" Revel Studio2s and Benchmark AHB2s. My speakers go in a living room where neither the D&D or the Kii is esthetically acceptable. In addition, my system is multichannel and synchronizing these guys is not impossible, I am sure, but not assured so far as I know. When he visited with me and listened to my system, Martijn Mensink, confirmed the validity of my choice.

(FWIW, I have set aside funds if this situation changes.)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Geithain’s cardioid response is through the bass only they are more congested through the midrange than the 8Cs.
Keith

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Acknowledged but hardly a factor in the home market, even compared to that of the D&D plus the Kii.
I do understand that MEG has a domestic line, but it's mostly Secret German Tech (tm) and virtually unknown outside of studios or ASR's "learned" enthusiasts.

For example, their RL901K flagship has an eye friendly faceplate and veneer version:
ME901K-Perspektive_V1.png

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Geithain’s cardioid response is through the bass only they are more congested through the midrange than the 8Cs.
Keith
Not really. They claim cardioid effect from 30 to 250 Hz, then the wide cabinet takes up the job of controlling frequencies, as seen here:
9441-hor.jpg

The 901K being a lot bigger than the 944K, there's no doubt it can achieve at least that much of an effect.

I'd really like to see measurements for their no-compromise model, though.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I must admit I didnt measure the 944 but did compare it here directly with the 8C, the Geithains aren’t bad but I didn’t see any advantage in stocking them.
Keith

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I do understand that MEG has a domestic line, but it's mostly Secret German Tech (tm) and virtually unknown outside of studios or ASR's "learned" enthusiasts.

For example, their RL901K flagship has an eye friendly faceplate and veneer version:
Now, imagine what 5 of these chunky boxes, each sitting on a frame-stand. No way.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I must admit I didnt measure the 944 but did compare it here directly with the 8C, the Geithains aren’t bad but I didn’t see any advantage in stocking them.
Keith
ME Geithain indeed has some problems, mainly price, availability on websites like Thomann and the lack of advanced electronics (class D amps or DSP). But I wouldn't buy the 8C or Kii as I don't like complex proprietary software contraptions prone to failure or lack of support for DIY programmers, even in the form of protocol specs; the 8C having a builtin webserver just for volume control is a nice touch for the final disgust, but that's too bad because I really like the studio version.

Let's say that the simplicity of MEG is reassuring and charming to some.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
ME Geithain indeed has some problems, mainly price, availability on websites like Thomann and the lack of advanced electronics (class D amps or DSP). But I wouldn't buy the 8C or Kii as I don't like complex proprietary software contraptions prone to failure or lack of support for DIY programmers, even in the form of protocol specs; the 8C having a builtin webserver just for volume control is a nice touch for the final disgust, but that's too bad because I really like the studio version.

Let's say that the simplicity of MEG is reassuring and charming to some.
I just buy the finest sound quality available, which To my mind at the moment is Kii, Dutch&Dutch and the Beolab90 .
Keith

Lorenzo74

I just buy the finest sound quality available, which To my mind at the moment is Kii, Dutch&Dutch and the Beolab90 .
Keith

I definitely cannot disagree.
Beo90
Kii (bxt)
D&D
Are future proof.

Question to you: do you have any insight about the KII two? Or the Kii one...?
I’m dreaming about them since some time...

Bruno’s PWM DAC with 32-stage discrete analogue FIR output stage
Purifi 6.5 cardioid array
Purify 4 + Bliesma 34be in waveguide or Viawave SRT-7, any coax (Seas C18en002)?
purifi amp
wireless low latency time aligned 5.1-7.1-.... software
dirac live bass control (or even UNISON..)
what else?
My Best
L.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not sure Kal, not as familiar with the wide market offerings as you.
But what's an owner to do when one of these boutique builders disappears and the proprietary electronics or software fail on these expensive speakers. Use them for bookmarks?
Do you really find the esthetics unpleasing? That's one of the things of the 8c I though attractive.
Each to their own, if I was looking to spend that much money I've got other things on my dream list. 5 JBL M2's plus 4 - 6 large subs would be one choice. ;) Or maybe 5 Salons like DonH56 system. or, or, or. :)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
But what's an owner to do when one of these boutique builders disappears and the proprietary electronics or software fail on these expensive speakers. Use them for bookmarks?
Do you really find the esthetics unpleasing? That's one of the things of the 8c I though attractive.
Each to their own, if I was looking to spend that much money I've got other things on my dream list. 5 JBL M2's plus 4 - 6 large subs would be one choice. ;) Or maybe 5 Salons like DonH56 system. or, or, or. :)
All that has nothing to do with my response to you. You said:
Agreed, there's no magic inside these space age monkey coffins outside of the intelligent use of DSP/DRC.
Nothing that hasn't been equaled or surpassed by many before and since using separates and doing their own tuning.
My response was specifically to that statement and not about anything else that arose subsequently.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
All that has nothing to do with my response to you. You said:
My response was specifically to that statement and not about anything else that arose subsequently.
Yes, but it was asked and answered Kal. I've seen tons of front ported speakers on the market, I'm not knowledgeable if no one else has used them in the same manner but I find it hard to believe they are the only ones to ever think of tuning them that way, there are a lot of other very smart speaker designers around. I'm not privy to the design elements of all of them. But if you say so I'll take your word for it.
But really, if you think they are worlds greatest thing since sliced bread, get off your wallet and buy some and quit blaming it on aesthetics. :p

ttimer

Beo90
Kii (bxt)
D&D
Are future proof.

What do you mean by that? With the possibile exception of the 75000$ Beolab, 20 years from now all of them will be landfill.
And if any of the manufacturers goes out of business or decides to stop selling consumer audio, that one will be trash immediately.

Top Bottom