• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer vs Computer

Hi 5

Hello good people of the ASR forum. Newbie here with a few questions about streamers vs computers. For context, my system is a McIntosh C52 preamp -- McIntosh MC302 power amp -- B&W speakers. My listening is divided fairly evenly among vinyl, cds, and hi-res files on my computer (I currently use JRiver). Streamers are seeming quite a bit more convenient to me than playing music off of my laptop. With the advent of touchscreens/apps for control, native file storage, and the integration of streaming services, I'm very much considering adding a streamer to my system. If anyone could shed some light on a few questions, I would really appreciate it.

1. My main goal with a streamer would be to centralize all my music files and streaming service playback in one place. I would be using the DAC on my C52 so I don't really need a streamer with a built-in DAC. However, because my aim is ease of use (ie using an app to switch seamlessly between playback of my personal digital collection and Apple Music/Tidal), I'm not opposed to buying a streamer w/ DAC if it offers a more convenient functionality. That said, do most streamers allow for their internal DACs to be completely bypassed?

2. Assuming I can bypass any internal DAC on a streamer and send the music straight to my C52, is there any significant difference in audio quality among different streamers. For instance, would a song streaming from Tidal sound any better or worse coming off of a Bluesound Node vs a Lumin U2?

3. I've read claims that streamers sound "better" than computers when it comes to playback of digital files/streaming services? Is there any truth to this or is it just hi-fi hocus pocus? (I realize that DACs can vary widely in audio quality, but again, I'm just concerned about the digital streaming aspect, not conversion).

4. I use USB to playback my JRiver library through my system. Most streamers I'm considering offer USB and Coaxial as a digital out. Is there any significant difference in audio quality between USB and Coaxial for playback?

Trell

Major Contributor
I've read claims that streamers sound "better" than computers when it comes to playback of digital files/streaming services? Is there any truth to this or is it just hi-fi hocus pocus? (I realize that DACs can vary widely in audio quality, but again, I'm just concerned about the digital streaming aspect, not conversion).
No, that’s not true at all.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello good people of the ASR forum. Newbie here with a few questions about streamers vs computers. For context, my system is a McIntosh C52 preamp -- McIntosh MC302 power amp -- B&W speakers. My listening is divided fairly evenly among vinyl, cds, and hi-res files on my computer (I currently use JRiver). Streamers are seeming quite a bit more convenient to me than playing music off of my laptop. With the advent of touchscreens/apps for control, native file storage, and the integration of streaming services, I'm very much considering adding a streamer to my system. If anyone could shed some light on a few questions, I would really appreciate it.

1. My main goal with a streamer would be to centralize all my music files and streaming service playback in one place. I would be using the DAC on my C52 so I don't really need a streamer with a built-in DAC. However, because my aim is ease of use (ie using an app to switch seamlessly between playback of my personal digital collection and Apple Music/Tidal), I'm not opposed to buying a streamer w/ DAC if it offers a more convenient functionality. That said, do most streamers allow for their internal DACs to be completely bypassed?

2. Assuming I can bypass any internal DAC on a streamer and send the music straight to my C52, is there any significant difference in audio quality among different streamers. For instance, would a song streaming from Tidal sound any better or worse coming off of a Bluesound Node vs a Lumin U2?

3. I've read claims that streamers sound "better" than computers when it comes to playback of digital files/streaming services? Is there any truth to this or is it just hi-fi hocus pocus? (I realize that DACs can vary widely in audio quality, but again, I'm just concerned about the digital streaming aspect, not conversion).

4. I use USB to playback my JRiver library through my system. Most streamers I'm considering offer USB and Coaxial as a digital out. Is there any significant difference in audio quality between USB and Coaxial for playback?
Hi, and welcome:)

You said that a streamer seems more "convenient" than playing files from your laptop - would you mind explaining that? You can just use the Tidal (or other source) on your laptop and carry on streaming... is there more to think about?

Streaming from a dedicated box or laptop - should both sound the same.
All bit-perfect streamers sound the same.
Connection method for digital (usb or other) won't change the sound.

Something about your question made me wonder if you wanted something more than a streamer - wanting to integrate your various sources seamlessly. I'm not too familiar with that - you might like a service called "Roon" which is not cheap but sounds interesting.
I kludge it all together with JRiver and it works for me

antcollinet

Master Contributor

1 - Yes, most can bypass the internal dac and output on toslink or usb.

2 - no difference whatsoever (Caviat - some streamers have built in room correction dsp. This can make a significant improvement - but they do that by altering (correcting) the audio).

3 - As @Trell : bobbins.

4 - No audible difference from the digital audio. Though I'd choose optical (toslink) over Coaxial or USB to eliminate any ground loops if they exist.

Verig

Node works great and the software support isn't going anywhere soon. Nice little box and app. If you don't need a screen then just go for it, no reason to pay more. If you want a screen then choose something else.

Usb vs optical vs coax is more about available bitrates. You'll find different specs supported. Optical is the poorest, while there can't be a ground loop, data rate, sync and fiddly cable are not great. I would avoid that as the most error prone connection of the three.

Provided there is nothing seriously wrong you should not hear any difference between your laptop and Node or any other streamer when using your own dac. But seeing that you have a pretty nice set there I guess you're not unfamiliar with testing gear. Just get a high price unit for home test and you'll know if you get anything more than really nice looks.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most streamers are meant work with a phone or tablet with wifi and therein is an advantage as you move around, sit you favorite chair, and make instant changes in music, volume, etc. Disadvange is a smaller screen than desktop monitor but since almost any tablet can be used and some new 10" android tablets are under $100 that seems best to me YMMV. Surprised nobody mentioned the WiiM Mini Streamer $80 and your phone you can try both and see what you like. Gets a lot of good press here at ASR.

OP
H

Hi 5

Hi, and welcome:)

You said that a streamer seems more "convenient" than playing files from your laptop - would you mind explaining that? You can just use the Tidal (or other source) on your laptop and carry on streaming... is there more to think about?

Streaming from a dedicated box or laptop - should both sound the same.
All bit-perfect streamers sound the same.
Connection method for digital (usb or other) won't change the sound.

Something about your question made me wonder if you wanted something more than a streamer - wanting to integrate your various sources seamlessly. I'm not too familiar with that - you might like a service called "Roon" which is not cheap but sounds interesting.
I kludge it all together with JRiver and it works
Ha! I guess it does sound a bit ridiculous to say I'm looking for something more convenient for playback than a laptop. But there are a few aspects of streamers that seem more streamlined (pun intended) than my laptop: control, aesthetics, and file storage. I don't really enjoy having to futz with my computer when listening on my hifi, so the prospect of being able to control my digital listening sources from the couch or across the room via an app is very appealing. A streamer box would also look nicer/cleaner next to my other components than the old laptop currently does. And lastly, space on my laptop is running thin from other non-music files/software and I don't want to start juggling external hard drives for my music storage and playback. A streamer seems like a good solution for these issues, and thus, more convenient.

OP
H

Hi 5

Thanks to all for your responses and input so far! Very helpful and appreciated.

JeremyFife

Ha! I guess it does sound a bit ridiculous to say I'm looking for something more convenient for playback than a laptop. But there are a few aspects of streamers that seem more streamlined (pun intended) than my laptop: control, aesthetics, and file storage. I don't really enjoy having to futz with my computer when listening on my hifi, so the prospect of being able to control my digital listening sources from the couch or across the room via an app is very appealing. A streamer box would also look nicer/cleaner next to my other components than the old laptop currently does. And lastly, space on my laptop is running thin from other non-music files/software and I don't want to start juggling external hard drives for my music storage and playback. A streamer seems like a good solution for these issues, and thus, more convenient.
Makes perfect sense.
Personally, I use the tiny WiiM Mini (optical out to my dac) and control it all from my phone. Works well for me.
What this doesn't deal with is your issue with locally stored files. I have some flac files stored on my laptop (until I get my NAS back) and I can play those just fine from the WiiM. You sound as if you want a streamer with its own storage though? That's a different animal.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You sound as if you want a streamer with its own storage though? That's a different animal.
Amir just reviewed one.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I use a silent PC as both the streamer and server in my main rack. It is running Roon which means I can use any other Roon client/app to control what gets played. I often use my laptop to remotely access it. Other times I use a tablet or my phone to control it.

The main advantage of this approach (using a computer) is that it is an open platform so you are not stuck with support from a single hardware company. And you can install other things on it (in my case Dirac Room EQ).

The disadvantage is constant OS updates and random things that can go wrong with a much more complex device like a computer. You are one OS upgrade away from the thing just not working all of a sudden.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I use a silent PC as both the streamer and server in my main rack. It is running Roon which means I can use any other Roon client/app to control what gets played. I often use my laptop to remotely access it. Other times I use a tablet or my phone to control it.

The main advantage of this approach (using a computer) is that it is an open platform so you are not stuck with support from a single hardware company. And you can install other things on it (in my case Dirac Room EQ).

The disadvantage is constant OS updates and random things that can go wrong with a much more complex device like a computer. You are one OS upgrade away from the thing just not working all of a sudden.
My PC is a single use Roon box essentially, and given that I don't see the need to allow for constant OS updates. I disable auto update and I'll do an update occasionally when I think of it. It's more stable than my WiiM was

Jflijohn

I’m using the Node connected to my Mac preamp via coax with Qobuz and Spotify but I also have a 2 TB SSD hanging off the back of the Node that works really well. My PC is also connected via optical to the Mac.
With both options easily available, I find myself almost always using the Node

Graham849

Forum Donor
I use a mele quieter computer with jriver controlled by both tablet and phone, with output to DAC, or upstairs and downstairs wiim minis. So much flexibility for so little cost.

I use JRemote very effectively to control JRiver. It’s a great app. The laptop is hidden in a cabinet as there’s no need to access it directly. I also store all my music on a NAS which is in a different room, connected via WiFi.

I too am curious about streamers, but I can’t understand what they offer that’s better or different than a computer. I’m not big on music streaming subscription services, having a large collection of CDs.

BillG

Major Contributor
If you want a server package that's very competitive with Roon without its expense:

There's a new DSP plug-in for it undergoing development as well. I've been using it for couple of months now with no problems. It's in a usable state for all but the more complex requirements:

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
As Amir said, it is a constant battle with Windows updating and version when using a WinPC. And the a new Win12 might not support your hardware any longer. Go the WinPC route only if you enjoy that sort of thing. A stand-alone Apple mini is better, but expensive. I tried that only a short time as my cheap mini was the no supporter too. If yo go the Linux route yourself, you are deep into PC stuff again.
Take a streamer and you pay an insane surcharge for somebody repackaging a 50$ thing with a tailored Linux system.
If money is no problem you find a solution. A smart PC choice may save you up to 2000usd but strains your nerve. A Roon Nucleus with a good endpoint is probably a great choice but offers no AppleMusic Atmos (which you seem not to need). An AppleTV is probably the best value but needs an hdmi-Dac.
And - they all sound the same once you use an external DAC.

Verig

Take a streamer and you pay an insane surcharge for somebody repackaging a 50$ thing with a tailored Linux system.
How is the cost of parts related to a product that works and actually solves all your problems and requires constant software updates for years from the company side..?

Top Bottom