• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

Videopac

LinkPlay module with nCore amps!

See https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rated-amps-with-dac-streamer-and-ncore.38726/

ClassicGuy

LinkPlay module with nCore amps!

Hopefully it's good. Arylic also uses Linkplay for the streaming portion, but the sound quality is not as good.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Hopefully it's good. Arylic also uses Linkplay for the streaming portion, but the sound quality is not as good.

Most Arylic products use the old A31 module, which is pretty bad. The Audiophonics uses the newer A98 module, which should measure just like the WiiM devices.

gregor

Hello

My first post on this forum. :)

Is this streamer best buy for 200,00 EUR or less?
Or are there any better alternatives?

I'm streaming most music from my PC hard drives (in separate room) and Tidal.

It's sad that it's still not available in Europe.

Thank you

Kind regards

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello

My first post on this forum. :)

Is this streamer best buy for 200,00 EUR or less?
Or are there any better alternatives?

I'm streaming most music from my PC hard drives (in separate room) and Tidal.

It's sad that it's still not available in Europe.

Thank you

Kind regards
The Wiim Mini - available now for approx. 80 EUR - is just as good, unless you need the specific features of the Pro ... plenty of user experience on this forum.
If you want the Pro features then wait, if you just want to stream Tidal & local files then save 100 EUR :)

gregor

Thank you for your answer.

The only thing which is bothering me regarding mini, is that it looks so cheap, so plastic.

Pro looks much nicer. :D Like HIFI component.

Where can I get mini for approx. 80 EUR in Europe?

Thanks

derek13

The only thing which is bothering me regarding mini, is that it looks so cheap, so plastic.

Thanks
Try Amazon.de - its 90euro. The Mini is so small and you never need to access it - do everything through the App - so hide it away behind your hifi.

gregor

You have a good point!

I checked amazon.de and price is realy 90,94 EUR for my country.

Now I have Squeezebox Duet, which is very outdated. :(

Kind regards

gregor

Will do it. ;)

But first I must also buy new DAC.
This is story for another forum section...

Bye

JeremyFife

Thanks
try Audiofonics - 82 EUR at the moment (https://www.audiophonics.fr/) Mine sits under my headphone stand ... I don't notice it

JeremyFife

pokerbarlo

I wish they could add an intergration for Home Assistant so I can do automations on my house for example if my sensors, camera, door sensors sense a break in it will play loud heavy metal music in the whole house while I am away. Or if I forget to turn off the oven it will play a certain song to remind me.... I have been scouring the internet and youtube for weeks now on how to do this haven't had any luck. I would even be willing to pay someone to program an integration for Home Assistant.

If anyone from WiiM is reading this. I am sure this advice will bring in a lot of sales and beat Bluesound Node to a pulp. Since your target market are the more technical, Practical and objective side of the home audio industry. Who like science good measurements and technical data. It would be wise to target the same type of people in the Smart Home Automation side of things. I am part of both.

Most objective, technical and practical Smart Home Enthusiats use Home Assistant because it is open source and works with high quality low priced devices like Zigbee. If you guys can get your streamers integrated into the Home Assistant echo system wherein clients can create automations that trigger certain songs or playlists in any music zone in their house I am sure you will be selling more than 3 to unlimited units per client.

Imagine these scenarios:
1. Home intrusion triggers sensores and Home Assistant plays Highway to hell in all zones at high volume.
2. Person forgets to turn off the oven, stove or some appliance the Home Assistant plays a certain song in whichever room the client is.
3. Automation can be endless.

Last edited:

gregor

Does Pro version has better sound that Mini?
Or are both on the same level?

What are the key differences between both devices?
Aside the form factor.

Thank you

MCH

Major Contributor
I wish they could add an intergration for Home Assistant so I can do automations on my house for example if my sensors, camera, door sensors sense a break in it will play loud heavy metal music in the whole house while I am away. Or if I forget to turn off the oven it will play a certain song to remind me.... I have been scouring the internet and youtube for weeks now on how to do this haven't had any luck. I would even be willing to pay someone to program an integration for Home Assistant.

If anyone from WiiM is reading this. I am sure this advice will bring in a lot of sales and beat Bluesound Node to a pulp. Since your target market are the more technical, Practical and objective side of the home audio industry. Who like science good measurements and technical data. It would be wise to target the same type of people in the Smart Home Automation side of things. I am part of both.

Most objective, technical and practical Smart Home Enthusiats use Home Assistant because it is open source and works with high quality low priced devices like Zigbee. If you guys can get your streamers integrated into the Home Assistant echo system wherein clients can create automations that trigger certain songs or playlists in any music zone in their house I am sure you will be selling more than 3 to unlimited units per client.

Imagine these scenarios:
1. Home intrusion triggers sensores and Home Assistant plays Highway to hell in all zones at high volume.
2. Person forgets to turn off the oven, stove or some appliance the Home Assistant plays a certain song in whichever room the client is.
You can build a RPI based streamer and integrate ZigBee with a dongle. I did it to have a remote volume and tone control knob and works flawlessly:

Last edited:

sajgre

Aside the form factor.

Thank you

Hello my namesake!
Biggest difference is that with wiim mini you stream music with wiims app while with pro you can use your phones app and stream with chromecast.

derek13

Aside the form factor.

Thank you
Not really a matter of sound differences but connectivity differences:
a) Chromecast
b) LAN cable connection ( in addition to WiFi)
c) Coax Digital (in addition to optical digital Toslink)
Unless one or more of these is important to you (e.g. for me c) was important as my DAC handles 24/192 over coax but only 24/96 over optical) then save your money and get the WiiM Mini.

derek13

Imagine these scenarios:
Please don’t do this. The WiiM is an excellent music streamer. The last thing I want is it becoming bloated with non-hifi related bells and whistles which push up the price and compromise the prime function.
If WiiM want to build a home assistant then fine, but not as part of the music streamer.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Please don’t do this. The WiiM is an excellent music streamer. The last thing I want is it becoming bloated with non-hifi related bells and whistles which push up the price and compromise the prime function.
If WiiM want to build a home assistant then fine, but not as part of the music streamer.
As I said here (or on the other two duplicate posts …. ), you can already do much of what the OP wants thru WiiM’s existing Alexa integration, driven by Home Assistant or not. WiiM doesn’t need anything else added to it to integrate into a Smart Home although some have asked for an Alexa skill to switch inputs etc which might be of use to some.

Top Bottom