• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Not really a matter of sound differences but connectivity differences:
a) Chromecast
b) LAN cable connection ( in addition to WiFi)
c) Coax Digital (in addition to optical digital Toslink)
Unless one or more of these is important to you (e.g. for me c) was important as my DAC handles 24/192 over coax but only 24/96 over optical) then save your money and get the WiiM Mini.
Plus the Pro has four times the RAM and double the number of CPU cores, so will be able to support more features than the already crowded Mini…

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
I wish they could add an intergration for Home Assistant so I can do automations on my house for example if my sensors, camera, door sensors sense a break in it will play loud heavy metal music in the whole house while I am away. Or if I forget to turn off the oven it will play a certain song to remind me.... I have been scouring the internet and youtube for weeks now on how to do this haven't had any luck. I would even be willing to pay someone to program an integration for Home Assistant.
You can use virtual sensors and do much of that with WiIM’s existing Alexa integration using Alexa routines triggered by those virtual sensors. This can be done using Smartthings or IFTTT with Voicemonkey, Mkzense etc and is well known to experienced Alexa users. I don’t need to use things like Home Assistant but I’m sure there’s a similar mechanism there than could be pressed into use without any further development by WiiM.

gregor

Not really a matter of sound differences but connectivity differences:
a) Chromecast
b) LAN cable connection ( in addition to WiFi)
c) Coax Digital (in addition to optical digital Toslink)
Unless one or more of these is important to you (e.g. for me c) was important as my DAC handles 24/192 over coax but only 24/96 over optical) then save your money and get the WiiM Mini.

Thank you for all your answers.

Can someone explains to me Chromecast feature.

If I don't have chromecast, all apps (tidal, spotify, apple music...) are integrated in wiim app and if I have chromecast, I can use each app on its own. No need for wiim app.
?

Kind regards

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another possible consideration is the fact the Pro is set to be Roon Ready soon, according to Wiim, whereas the Mini does not have the required RAM or processing power, as far as I am aware, and will never have Roon Ready status.
I don't use Roon at the moment, but may in the future if I build up a big enough library of downloaded/ripped music.
Also, the option of coax and optical out means I can connect to my AVR as well as my DAC (I don't actually, but might in the future).
I think they are both phenomenal value for money.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Another possible consideration is the fact the Pro is set to be Roon Ready soon, according to Wiim, whereas the Mini does not have the required RAM or processing power, as far as I am aware, and will never have Roon Ready status.
Yes, I installed the Roon endpoint on a small Linux box just to test it out. It's an incredibly bloated pig, requiring the entire .NET runtime (ported to Linux). Squeezelite and Spotify Connect, which do essentially the same thing for their services, are tiny, efficient and written by far better coders, IMO. Roon would do well to hire a small team that knows how to write efficient code.

sajgre

Thank you for all your answers.

Can someone explains to me Chromecast feature.

If I don't have chromecast, all apps (tidal, spotify, apple music...) are integrated in wiim app and if I have chromecast, I can use each app on its own. No need for wiim app.
?

Kind regards

If you don't have Chromecast then you have to use Wiims streaming apps which are not the same as your phones apps. They might be OK, but usually phones app are better. When using Chromecast you use your phones app and Chromecast makes it play on Wiim.

gregor

OK
Understood.

I will have to decide how to proceed? Maybe I will buy Pro version.
When is available in EU.
Audiophonics FR still says 9.3.2023. :(

sajgre

OK
Understood.

I will have to decide how to proceed? Maybe I will buy Pro version.
When is available in EU.
Audiophonics FR still says 9.3.2023. :(
Wiim site states that it is finally available for preorder on Amazon (eu) but it is not anymore...

Tatr76

Just bought one from Amazon US, £150 including fees which is about the same as audiophonics who are doing pre orders. Deliver in 4 days to UK so not bad.

morillon

Major Contributor
so well a case where I will strongly threaten the fact of having the assurance of a real guarantee.. it is good with this kind of product....
so patience is definitely good

Reactions: MCH

Joffy1780

Yeah, I did the same. Shipping from Audiophonics is likely more expensive as well, with handling fees etc.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
If you don't have Chromecast then you have to use Wiims streaming apps which are not the same as your phones apps. They might be OK, but usually phones app are better. When using Chromecast you use your phones app and Chromecast makes it play on Wiim.
I’d say you only need to use Chromecast when the phone’s streaming app doesn’t have a “cast” mechanism - Tidal has Connect, as has Spotify, while Amazon Music has AlexaCast. Chromecast is useful for Qobuz which doesn’t yet have a casting protocol although one is supposedly in development. And to be fair, access streaming services thru the WiiM app isn’t bad just perhaps not as feature rich as the phone apps, but the quality can be just as good.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Chromecast is useful for Qobuz which doesn’t yet have a casting protocol although one is supposedly in development. And to be fair, access streaming services thru the WiiM app isn’t bad just perhaps not as feature rich as the phone apps, but the quality can be just as good.
Chromecast is also often not as feature-rich as native apps. In particular, gapless playback is typically lacking – although it is apparently possible to implement, it requires additional effort and many vendors don't bother. Besides that, there are features like fading, sleep timers etc. that don't often work with Chromecast receivers, and queuing behavior can be different.

sajgre

I’d say you only need to use Chromecast when the phone’s streaming app doesn’t have a “cast” mechanism - Tidal has Connect, as has Spotify, while Amazon Music has AlexaCast. Chromecast is useful for Qobuz which doesn’t yet have a casting protocol although one is supposedly in development. And to be fair, access streaming services thru the WiiM app isn’t bad just perhaps not as feature rich as the phone apps, but the quality can be just as good.
In my case I need it for Deezer

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Yeah, I understand Deezer’s Connect mechanism is more like remote control of another Deezer app running on another device which isn’t compatible with WiiM devices which aren’t running the Deezer app just an api interface to Deezer.

morillon

Major Contributor
now deezer works seamlessly and seamlessly in "hifi 44/16" mode with mini -pro wiim home...

as a reminder, there are problems even with an audio chromecast and the native deezer application precisely on the gapless and.. sending in "hifi" mode...lost in "cast"....
and for the moment I regret not having any real feedback on the deezer app and the pro in chromecast... if still these worries?

Last edited:

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Any sign of the PEQ yet with the Pro? I still just have a Mini and waiting for the Pro to become available in Europe but mostly just for more control over Frequency Response. If it turns out to be not great I might just wait a few months (as mostly pretty happy with the Wiim Mini)

morillon

Major Contributor
Any sign of the PEQ yet with the Pro? I still just have a Mini and waiting for the Pro to become available in Europe but mostly just for more control over Frequency Response. If it turns out to be not great I might just wait a few months (as mostly pretty happy with the Wiim Mini)
ask...
(
but ... if you do not want to be frustrated by a reality that does not correspond to the answer ...
better not to ask such questions:oops: )

Last edited:
OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
As to the Mini never having Roon Ready status, WiiM seemed to warm to the idea of producing a Roon Ready version of the Mini, dropping other features so they could accommodate it. Rather than giving themselves a potential engineering headache, I think they should pour cold water on that rather harebrained scheme and just say that if you want Roon Ready, the same as if you want Ethernet or Chromecast etc, just buy a Pro. At times they appear to be over keen to please rather than just saying no…

Last edited:
Top Bottom