• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

TimW

Major Contributor
Is anyone else having this issue? When I use Tidal connect with the Wiim Pro, Tidal will disconnect from the Wiim and just start playing the song on my phone. It happens often if I'm using my phone but might go several songs if I just leave the phone alone. Very annoying since I have to reconnect with the app while the song stops and then press play again.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ye olde Sonos Connect physical comparison next to WiiM Pro. Only “advantage” Connect has is its built-in power supply, which of course also means if the power supply blows, the entire device is bricked. My Sonos gear is now collecting dust.

View attachment 252109
Only half way through this thread, but had to pick up on this!
I'm using a connect that I picked up for £20, I'm streaming sonos and Roon (qobuz and media library), latter with a crude DSP room correction setting. The Connect is acting as a network player only, its optical into a separate DAC. I'm struggling to see what benefits I'll get from a Wiim Mini or Pro, other than hi res from qobuz, and maybe still having to use more than one app controller?
Apologies if the answers are later in the thread!

SKBubba

Better source material sounds usually better, yes. But you need to have good speakers to hear that. Spotify is at best 320 kbits, no matter how you play it. Its a lossy streaming alternative, and it should be for free.

Worse sounding of all is lossy Spotify combined with bluetooth = You get -1 -1 = -3.

But, my dac shows spotify playing at 16/44.1, same as CD! Right?

/snark

Turambar

Right, but with a much smaller bit rate, that is where the compression takes place.

SKBubba

Right, but with a much smaller bit rate, that is where the compression takes place.
I was kidding. I see that all the time about spotify. Including speculation they secretly rolled out hifi without telling anyone because my dac shows 16/44.1!

Tangband

Major Contributor
I was kidding. I see that all the time about spotify. Including speculation they secretly rolled out hifi without telling anyone because my dac shows 16/44.1!
16/ 44,1 in this case stands for 256 Kbit/s, and Im not laughing. You shouldnt pay for this service.

dimitrig

Received my Wiim Pro about a week ago and so far is seems fairly solid. I am coming from an older Bluesound Node the bricked on me. Overall, the experience is fairly similar, but I do have a couple of questions. (p.s., I am using the optical into a Schiit Modius DAC)

1. Does anyone know the bitrate of the Radio Paradise app? Most streaming sounds clearer than the node, but Radio Paradise seems less clear.
2. The Tunein radio app keeps locking the screen and I can't leave the station without a hard restart. Anyone else have this experience?
3. I stream from a local NAS, Tidal, and Amazon Music, and have not had the experience noted above of the app sending me to some random song.

I have the same issue with Tunein. However, I had it with the Tunein App as well prior to using a Wiim. It doesn’t always happen but it happens often enough to be annoying.

dimitrig

How does one change the Wifi network? The only way I can find to do this is to do a complete reset back to factory settings. There must be a better way.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor

Seems to be a Pro clone.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor

Seems to be a Pro clone.
But no mention of Qobuz nor Amazon Music that even the mini supports…

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
But no mention of Qobuz nor Amazon Music that even the mini supports…
According to some information available it's going to be no native application for the device, so everything controlled via third party ones using Spotify Connect, Tidal Connect, UPnP, Roon, AirPlay or Chromecast.

MCH

Major Contributor

Seems to be a Pro clone.
Pricewise, in EU at least, i wish them good luck...
Screenshot_2023-01-26-11-44-57-97_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
IMG_20230126_114715.jpg

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Pricewise, in EU at least, i wish them good luck...
View attachment 260030View attachment 260032
Well, it's from big and famous audio equipment manufacturer, so it can be still considered as a very reasonable priced device.

BTW, "It also has full MQA rendering and decoding capability for playing master quality music from Tidal." so it can justify the higher price.

Last edited:

CT Man

How does one change the Wifi network? The only way I can find to do this is to do a complete reset back to factory settings. There must be a better way.
Hold the "Play" button about 3 seconds until the LED light blinks (or turns off if that's your setting). It's now in setup mode. Open the WiiM app and select the device for setup. Your previous settings will still be there but the app will take you through the initial setup sequence. It's kludgy but it works. I think it would be better to be able to change the network from Device Settings > Network Status > Wi-Fi Name

Grovkalle

Is anyone else having this issue? When I use Tidal connect with the Wiim Pro, Tidal will disconnect from the Wiim and just start playing the song on my phone. It happens often if I'm using my phone but might go several songs if I just leave the phone alone. Very annoying since I have to reconnect with the app while the song stops and then press play again.
I had the same issue with both my Wiim Mini AND also my Bluesound Node N130. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Tidal app.

Top Bottom