• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
I was under the impression that Wiim Pro comes with a remote, but the Amazon page seems to contradict it
Been mentioned before, the WiiM Pro will have two SKUs - one with a remote, and the other without. As the remote hasn’t been released yet, the current amazon entry is for the latter. I understand the remote will also be available separately for Mini users.

bismarck

Been mentioned before, the WiiM Pro will have two SKUs - one with a remote, and the other without. As the remote hasn’t been released yet, the current amazon entry is for the latter. I understand the remote will also be available separately for Mini users.
What could be the advantage of having a remote if my main utilization is Amazon Music cast?

Mal

I find remote more convenient for skipping tracks and volume control.
Yes, a remote is useful, I use an Amazon Fire tablet to play music on KEF LSXs via Spotify Connect, but use the remote to control the volume and turn the KEFs off.

Are you sure the WiiM supports Amazon music cast? (Forget the advertising has anyone actually got it working?) I can't cast it to my KEFs, can't even cast it to my Amazon "smart" speaker!

I did a lot of experiments with casting various music services last month, conclusion: Spotify Connect works like a dream, it's wonderful. Amazon Connect and Tidal Connect... total pain.

Does the WiiM support Spotify Connect without any hitches?

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Are you sure the WiiM supports Amazon music cast? (Forget the advertising has anyone actually got it working?) I can't cast it to my KEFs, can't even cast it to my Amazon "smart" speaker!
Which region are you in? If you can’t Alexacast already from the Amazon Music app, then perhaps it’s not supported in your region. There are workarounds, but it’s really not WiiM’s issue if Amazon don’t support it where you live.

And, yes, emphatically WiiM does support AlexaCast where Amazon supports it. I use it on a daily basis.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Yes, a remote is useful, I use an Amazon Fire tablet to play music on KEF LSXs via Spotify Connect, but use the remote to control the volume and turn the KEFs off.

I did a lot of experiments with casting various music services last month, conclusion: Spotify Connect works like a dream, it's wonderful. Amazon Connect and Tidal Connect... total pain.

Does the WiiM support Spotify Connect without any hitches?
Some combinations of the Amazon Kindle Store region and the Amazon Music service region are not working together. As @Brantome said, there are workarounds possible here.

remlemasi

Apologies if this was discussed, but was it ever confirmed if the remote is IR or Bluetooth? I’m really hoping IR so I can program my Apple TV remote (or really any universal remote) to control the volume/mute.

Also, I asked a several pages back but didn’t get an answer: is the Optical In to Optical (or Coaxial) Out bit-perfect at full volume?

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Apologies if this was discussed, but was it ever confirmed if the remote is IR or Bluetooth? I’m really hoping IR so I can program my Apple TV remote (or really any universal remote) to control the volume/mute.

Also, I asked a several pages back but didn’t get an answer: is the Optical In to Optical (or Coaxial) Out bit-perfect at full volume?
WiiM have confirmed that the “WiiM Voice Remote is BLE based remote using the standard BT HID GATT service”

DTTOM37

Bought a Wiim Mini for $80 a few months ago and aside from the lackluster analog output, I was really impressed with it; especially the iOS app as well as the substantial updates. Not sure the Pro is worth the extra dough? Not because it's not great, but because the Mini is so much better than it has a right to be, especially at $70 or $99.

But hat's off to Wiim for blasting onto the scene with reasonably-priced, well-designed, well-supported gear.
I agree with you about the Q/P ratio of the Mini, absolutely !
However, sometimes enhancing the comfort side of a product does make sense, imho.
The Pro offers more options and a slightly different product design, a more powerful processor and a different linkplay module.
For 40 Euros more (the Mini was lately at 109 Euros at Amazon.fr) I would opt - for example in case of a multi room setup - for the Pro as the master and for the Mini as endpoint solution. I do like as well the square design better than the puck ... but that's me ...

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Got a kick outta the “related items” to my Pro order.
4BBE27E4-18B3-416D-81D2-13D1720FB843.jpeg

morillon

Major Contributor
certainly, for those who already used a mini, basically the differences are quite small between mini and pro..
but now,.... "flat liner"..

for who uses the beta...
new chromecast works fine? under what circumstances tested?

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
certainly, for those who already used a mini, basically the differences are quite small between mini and pro..
but now,.... "flat liner"..

for who uses the beta...
new chromecast works fine? under what circumstances tested?
I’ve used Chromecast from Qobuz, but as mentioned previously, Qobuz itself limits that to 24/96. Also, the EQ function doesn’t work for Chromecast, you’re limited to using the very basic bass/treble controls in Google Assistant - but for those who avoid EQ, that shouldn’t be an issue.

i think I may also have tried Amazon Music over Chromecast but I don’t think that supports lossless HD/UHD anyway

morillon

Major Contributor
among the beta testers, has anyone tested deezer via the deezer app or wiim home how is it going? in hi-fi mode?
thank you

Last edited:

Eneen

Is there separate volume control for toslink-in and for streaming services?

Reactions: BDE

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is expected exactly? Are we talking about Roon Ready? Q4...2022?
Responding to myself...
Updates to be released by 12 / 31 / 2022

New Feature:
- Roon Ready
- Add the separate EQ settings for the Aux-in, BT and WiFi sources into Audio Settings and Alarm setting
- MQA public release
- Overriding Volume +/- with Next/Prev to control playback when fixed volume is selected
- Support Track Radio and Artist Radio for TIDAL (Android)
- Support dynamic track information in vTuner and Custom Radio
- Display the timeline in "Recently played"

Overseas

Major Contributor
Anybody having a straight answer for a non-technical music lover here: is GAPLESS guaranteed with WIIM Pro + Tidal HIFI no matter what... or 'it depends' on many other variables?

Reactions: MCH
Top Bottom