• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

Mudflapper

Bought a Wiim Mini for $80 a few months ago and aside from the lackluster analog output, I was really impressed with it; especially the iOS app as well as the substantial updates. Not sure the Pro is worth the extra dough? Not because it's not great, but because the Mini is so much better than it has a right to be, especially at $70 or $99.

But hat's off to Wiim for blasting onto the scene with reasonably-priced, well-designed, well-supported gear.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Looks like Amazon US has already sold out of the units they haven't yet started delivering.

Screenshot 2022-12-07 5.42.46 PM.png

Tangband

Major Contributor
The slight delay in sound through the WiiM pro (lipsync when watching TV ) seems to be a less good thing .
Buyers of this player - do you recognize this as a flaw and is it serious ?
Is it on all inputs ?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
The slight delay in sound through the WiiM pro (lipsync when watching TV ) seems to be a less good thing .
Is it on all inputs ?

No different than Sonos.

MCH

Major Contributor
Is it on all inputs ?

Is that for toslink in - toslink out or streaming tv audio to the wiim?
Either would be a strange use case, wouldn't it? Unless the pro can do peq or room correction which I believe it can't, or very limited.

Tangband

Major Contributor
No different than Sonos.
If Sonos have lipsync issues then its really bad. My Yamaha wxc50 dont have this fault, not on AirPlay ( sound casted from Apple TV while watching movies ) or toslink . And I dont think bluesound node 2 has it either.
I had a cheap ieast streamer a couple of years ago that had this problem with lip sync and in the long therm its not useful. As Darko has discovered, its a flaw.
Lets hope it can be fixed with new firmware.

Last edited:
OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Is it on all inputs ?

I just wired up my Samsung Frame TV’s optical out to the Wiim Pro’s optical in and from its coax into my amp and I could barely detect any lip sync issues, if at all.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Is that for toslink in - toslink out or streaming tv audio to the wiim?
Either would be a strange use case, wouldn't it? Unless the pro can do peq or room correction which I believe it can't, or very limited.
Not necessarily a strange use case as my amp only has one optical input which my WiiM Mini currently uses. However, with my WiiM Pro, I can use its optical in for my tv, and its coax out into my amp. I couldn’t detect any annoying lip sync issues watching terrestrial tv that way.

MCH

Major Contributor
Not necessarily a strange use case as my amp only has one optical input which my WiiM Mini currently uses. However, with my WiiM Pro, I can use its optical in for my tv, and its coax out into my amp. I couldn’t detect any annoying lip sync issues watching terrestrial tv that way.
You can also use a toslink splitter, or a toslink to coaxial converter. To be honest, i think that is a minor annoyance easy to deal with, not even a flaw. Now, if the wiim was doing room correction or Dirac or something like that, then you would want the audio signal to go through it, and in this case the lipsync issue would be indeed a major flaw, this is what I was referring to.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
You can also use a toslink splitter, or a toslink to coaxial converter. To be honest, i think that is a minor annoyance easy to deal with, not even a flaw. Now, if the wiim was doing room correction or Dirac or something like that, then you would want the audio signal to go through it, and in this case the lipsync issue would be indeed a major flaw, this is what I was referring to.
Ok, but I have no need for another device like a toslink splitter, nor would a toslink to coaxial converter help as my amp also only has one coax input that the Pro is using. So using the WiiM Pro as an intermediary is very convenient for me and doesn’t cause any issues.

holbob

So this device will play Qobuz natively through chromecast? How are they able to do that but Google can't? If so, with the optical input and output, then it's a bit of a game changer. Very easy to integrate it into a hifi/tv audio setup.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
So this device will play Qobuz natively through chromecast? How are they able to do that but Google can't? If so, with the optical input and output, then it's a bit of a game changer. Very easy to integrate it into a hifi/tv audio setup.
Yes, the WiiM Pro can indeed be used as a ChromeCast target by the native Qobuz app, but currently it’s limited to 24/96 as per this screenshot from my iPad.

I’ve submitted a ticket to WiiM and posted elsewhere to ask if that can be extended to 24/192 since the Pro can accept that which I coincidentally proved by playing the same track from Qobuz using the BubbleUPNP app on my phone.

Attachments

• A2865BE1-92B9-4651-AFE4-DCABE34B5285.png
    A2865BE1-92B9-4651-AFE4-DCABE34B5285.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 85

Tangband

Major Contributor
I just wired up my Samsung Frame TV’s optical out to the Wiim Pro’s optical in and from its coax into my amp and I could barely detect any lip sync issues, if at all.
Thats good news

morillon

Major Contributor
Yes, the WiiM Pro can indeed be used as a ChromeCast target by the native Qobuz app, but currently it’s limited to 24/96 as per this screenshot from my iPad.

I’ve submitted a ticket to WiiM and posted elsewhere to ask if that can be extended to 24/192 since the Pro can accept that which I coincidentally proved by playing the same track from Qobuz using the BubbleUPNP app on my phone.
but qobuz has already been working for a long time with the mini and without chromecast, right?

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
but qobuz has already been working for a long time with the mini and without chromecast, right?
From the WiiM app, yes, the same as Tidal, Amazon Music, Deezer etc. But not as a target device from the native Qobuz app since that doesn’t have a connect mechanism like Tidal, Spotify and Amazon Music do. In the absence of such a connect mechanism for Qobuz, Chromecast support on the Pro will give the native Qobuz app a hi res lossless pseudo-connect option that it otherwise wouldn’t have.

bismarck

From the WiiM app, yes, the same as Tidal, Amazon Music, Deezer etc. But not as a target device from the native Qobuz app since that doesn’t have a connect mechanism like Tidal, Spotify and Amazon Music do. In the absence of such a connect mechanism for Qobuz, Chromecast support on the Pro will give the native Qobuz app a hi res lossless pseudo-connect option that it otherwise wouldn’t have.
On iPhone too?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
This is new. This morning it said it was arriving after Xmas, if ordered today.

Screenshot 2022-12-08 8.08.44 PM.png

Top Bottom