• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

I ordered mine early yesterday morning and it supposed to be delivered on December 20th. I have a mini that is very nice but I am going to use the ethernet connection and usb port to my SMSL DO100. I am wondering if it will sound better than the DAC built inside.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I ordered mine early yesterday morning and it supposed to be delivered on December 20th. I have a mini that is very nice but I am going to use the ethernet connection and usb port to my SMSL DO100. I am wondering if it will sound better than the DAC built inside.
There isn't a USB output on the WiiM Pro. The USB-C connector is strictly for DC power input.

wacomme

I’m still trying to figure out what the pro has that the mini is lacking? Is there any advantage to go with the pro in a stereo setup with an external dac?

Is it possible to integrate a raspberry pi into the setup for eq alone? My wife likes Alexa access to music, the reason to keep the wiim as a streamer vs the raspberry.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I’m still trying to figure out what the pro has that the mini is lacking? Is there any advantage to go with the pro in a stereo setup with an external dac?

Is it possible to integrate a raspberry pi into the setup for eq alone? My wife likes Alexa access to music, the reason to keep the wiim as a streamer vs the raspberry.
Did you miss the comparison here?

MCH

Major Contributor
Yes it is, but you will need a spdif capture card like a hifime S2 Digi. You will gain USB out and the possibility of more channels for sub integration or the like, but you will need to figure out how to handle resampling if needed (but it can definitely be done).

wacomme

Yes it is, but you will need a spdif capture card like a hifime S2 Digi. You will gain USB out and the possibility of more channels for sub integration or the like, but you will need to figure out how to handle resampling if needed (but it can definitely be done).
It sounds convoluted. Perhaps the better solution is to teach my wife to download and use the Volumio app or the touchscreen.

DudleyDuoflush

Forum Donor
If Sonos have lipsync issues then its really bad. My Yamaha wxc50 dont have this fault, not on AirPlay ( sound casted from Apple TV while watching movies ) or toslink . And I dont think bluesound node 2 has it either.
I had a cheap ieast streamer a couple of years ago that had this problem with lip sync and in the long therm its not useful. As Darko has discovered, its a flaw.
Lets hope it can be fixed with new firmware.
No problems with Sonos here. Always perfectly in sync. I also have a WXC-50 and that's fine as well. Big miss in my opinion for the Wiim Pro.

Tangband

Major Contributor
No problems with Sonos here. Always perfectly in sync. I also have a WXC-50 and that's fine as well. Big miss in my opinion for the Wiim Pro.
Yes - now there are people in this thread that says its not that big issue, but before buying this product I would :

1. Check If there is a real issue with lipsync when watching movies.

2. How is the guaranty when you are not buying from a real store ? This fact alone is maybe worth 50 dollars more when buying from a local dealer ?

3. Competition is there in the form of Nuprime omnia stream mini and Yamaha wxc50 that can be bought in stores for slightly more money - slightly more expensive but maybe without flaws ?

MCH

Major Contributor
It sounds convoluted. Perhaps the better solution is to teach my wife to download and use the Volumio app or the touchscreen.
Either probably better than giving up room correction imo.

sajgre

Yes - now there are people in this thread that says its not that big issue, but before buying this product I would :

1. Check If there is a real issue with lipsync when watching movies.

2. How is the guaranty when you are not buying from a real store ? This fact alone is maybe worth 50 dollars more when buying from a local dealer ?

3. Competition is there in the form of Nuprime omnia stream mini and Yamaha wxc50 that can be bought in stores for slightly more money - slightly more expensive but maybe without flaws ?

I have Yamaha wxc-50 but will be replacing it with Wiim pro because it lacks Cromecast. Also Yamaha is 2x more expensive than Wiim pro. It is much better preamp but if one needs only streamer, Wiim seems pretty great

evert

So this device will play Qobuz natively through chromecast? How are they able to do that but Google can't? If so, with the optical input and output, then it's a bit of a game changer. Very easy to integrate it into a hifi/tv audio setup.
I'm casting Qobuz to a CCA just fine in the native Qobuz app.. Or.. what am I missing here?

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Yes, the WiiM Pro can indeed be used as a ChromeCast target by the native Qobuz app, but currently it’s limited to 24/96 as per this screenshot from my iPad.

I’ve submitted a ticket to WiiM and posted elsewhere to ask if that can be extended to 24/192 since the Pro can accept that which I coincidentally proved by playing the same track from Qobuz using the BubbleUPNP app on my phone.
Looks like qobuz deliberately cap Chromecast at 24/96 even though the WiiM Pro can support Chromecast at 24/192. Reply from Qobuz staff member on another group:
”Our Google Cast receiver application is locked at 24/96. Even though Google Cast can support more, depending on the DAC provided, we have encountered many problems beyond 96kHz. We believe that the Google Cast protocol is not able to handle an audio bitrate higher than 96kHz. That's why we block the quality at 24/96.”

Tangband

Major Contributor
I have Yamaha wxc-50 but will be replacing it with Wiim pro because it lacks Cromecast. Also Yamaha is 2x more expensive than Wiim pro. It is much better preamp but if one needs only streamer, Wiim seems pretty great
The preamp part in wxc50 with digital and analog volume regulation is not sota, one can do slightly better with a good DDC and a computer preamp with TIDAL . The WiiM pro is interesting for me If it sounds the same as my DDC+laptop with the volume regulation enabled.
I doubt it though.

Tangband

Major Contributor

Top Bottom