• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

Bach

The Wiim pro has certainly no gapless playback. I bought the unit based on false information of this site and of the producer.

derek13

The Wiim pro has certainly no gapless playback. I bought the unit based on false information of this site and of the producer.
It plays gapless on AMHD and Qobuz. Please describe your music source. Are you using Chromecast, Airplay or the WiimApp?

Overseas

Major Contributor
The man said 'certainly'. He did not ask how to, so he CERTAINLY tried all types of sources, all streaming services.

Bach

I tried the Wiim app and BubbleUpup, the latter with setting the option for gapless playback on.
I played two albums onf 44,1 /16 from a Synology server. All connectios between server and all streamers are via ethernet 1 Gb cables and hub. The albums were not playbacked gapless ,as do my following other streamers;
Linn DS Magic
Yamaha CD501
Ifi Zen.

My other streamers, which do not support gapless are:
Argon
Upstream ( about the sma as a Wiim mini)
Lenco
Wiim Pro
Only the last one claims gapless.

Achim1812

Seems to be be a miracle...my Pro is gapless with all stuff on my NAS, with Qobuz, Tidal and Amazon Music (don't ask me why I have three of these). So, for me, its gapless enough.​

Chromecast and Airplay are not in use here.​

Ricwa

Forum Donor
Good day from Germany,
I do not know why it is not longer possible for me to choose the ethernet connection. The software offers only wi-fi. Cable is fixed, Fritzbox is on and shows the LAN connection and till yesterday it worked without any issue. Any ideas?
Thx in advance, Achim

It maybe not detecting your Ethernet connection. Bad cable or loose connection?

Overseas

Major Contributor
So lots of other streamers do not 'claim' gapless but they DO play. Must be deffective.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tried the Wiim app and BubbleUpup, the latter with setting the option for gapless playback on.
I played two albums onf 44,1 /16 from a Synology server. All connectios between server and all streamers are via ethernet 1 Gb cables and hub. The albums were not playbacked gapless ,as do my following other streamers;
Linn DS Magic
Yamaha CD501
Ifi Zen.

Argon
Lenco
Wiim Pro
So many streamers?!

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Linn DS Magic
Yamaha CD501
Ifi Zen.

Argon
Lenco
Wiim Pro
So in one very specific situation, with one very specific control point, which WiiM doesn't mention support for at all, and very few actually use, the settings you are specifically using seem not to support gapless to the WiiM (which no one else has confirmed). Others have pointed out that far more widely used controllers DO in fact support gapless with the WiiM. Yet WiiM is lying? :facepalm:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
So in one very specific situation, with one very specific control point, which WiiM doesn't mention support for at all, and very few actually use, the settings you are specifically using seem not to support gapless to the WiiM (which no one else has confirmed). Others have pointed out that far more widely used controllers DO in fact support gapless with the WiiM. Yet WiiM is lying? :facepalm:
I can't do somersaults, so no human can do it, and anyone who says they can is lying...

artishard116

I've been living with the pro for a few months now as my main streaming source as well as a preamp with TV and vinyl sources passing through it. Below are a few of the issues I've run into, for anyone looking to use it in a similar way. I'm hoping they can be ironed out in fw updates, because it's really close to working well in this configuration and replacing a bunch of way more expensive gear. I have the unit connected via ethernet and I use coax out, directly into my active speakers/subs.

There is a very strange mechanic which is the root cause for several problems. The unit has a 'play' state and a 'pause' state on all inputs. What I mean is, even if you have the spdif or analog inputs selected for example, with no audio playing, the unit can be in a 'play' state. This is communicated by little dancing eq bars under the input name in the app. It can also be in a 'paused' state when you do have audio coming in on one of those inputs. This causes the following:

-No audio will come through those inputs even when you power the unit on and select the correct input, unless it is in 'play' mode. I can start playing a tv show or record, turn on the unit, cycle to the correct input and there is no sound coming out until I manually press "Play All' in the upper left corner.

-Auto sensing on spdif and analog rarely works when I start playing something on those inputs. I have it toggled on in the app. Wifi works fine. I believe this is because the unit is incapable of changing out of the 'pause' state automatically on anything but wifi, but I need to test that more, as it works intermittently.

-Because the optical/analog inputs need to be 'playing' to work, the unit never goes to sleep automatically on those inputs, even when there is no signal, unless I manually press 'Pause All' in the upper left corner of the app.

-12v trigger behavior is totally broken. I use it to wake up my speakers and subs, but I am constantly having to manually press "Play All' or 'Pause All' to get them to turn on or off. Again, wifi works as expected, although the auto sleep timer only goes up to 5 minutes which is quite annoying, as my whole system shuts off frequently when a song ends and nothing is queued. Would be better to have options up to 1 or 2 hours.

-Unrelated to the above, the unit often loses its internet connection even though it is hardwired via ethernet. I'm unable to connect to it in the app, and turning it on or off with the remote has no effect. The only way I've managed to fix it is by unplugging the power and plugging it back in. The problem eventually returns though. None of my other hardwired devices ever have drop outs.

I've submitted support requests and logs for all of the above issues, so far with no resolution.

yllanos

I've been living with the pro for a few months now as my main streaming source as well as a preamp with TV and vinyl sources passing through it. Below are a few of the issues I've run into, for anyone looking to use it in a similar way. I'm hoping they can be ironed out in fw updates, because it's really close to working well in this configuration and replacing a bunch of way more expensive gear. I have the unit connected via ethernet and I use coax out, directly into my active speakers/subs.

There is a very strange mechanic which is the root cause for several problems. The unit has a 'play' state and a 'pause' state on all inputs. What I mean is, even if you have the spdif or analog inputs selected for example, with no audio playing, the unit can be in a 'play' state. This is communicated by little dancing eq bars under the input name in the app. It can also be in a 'paused' state when you do have audio coming in on one of those inputs. This causes the following:

-No audio will come through those inputs even when you power the unit on and select the correct input, unless it is in 'play' mode. I can start playing a tv show or record, turn on the unit, cycle to the correct input and there is no sound coming out until I manually press "Play All' in the upper left corner.

-Auto sensing on spdif and analog rarely works when I start playing something on those inputs. I have it toggled on in the app. Wifi works fine. I believe this is because the unit is incapable of changing out of the 'pause' state automatically on anything but wifi, but I need to test that more, as it works intermittently.

-Because the optical/analog inputs need to be 'playing' to work, the unit never goes to sleep automatically on those inputs, even when there is no signal, unless I manually press 'Pause All' in the upper left corner of the app.

-12v trigger behavior is totally broken. I use it to wake up my speakers and subs, but I am constantly having to manually press "Play All' or 'Pause All' to get them to turn on or off. Again, wifi works as expected, although the auto sleep timer only goes up to 5 minutes which is quite annoying, as my whole system shuts off frequently when a song ends and nothing is queued. Would be better to have options up to 1 or 2 hours.

-Unrelated to the above, the unit often loses its internet connection even though it is hardwired via ethernet. I'm unable to connect to it in the app, and turning it on or off with the remote has no effect. The only way I've managed to fix it is by unplugging the power and plugging it back in. The problem eventually returns though. None of my other hardwired devices ever have drop outs.

I've submitted support requests and logs for all of the above issues, so far with no resolution.

I also use optical input (sometimes). But at least in my case, auto-sensing works correctly. I have a TV connected to it, and it senses audio and outputs it correctly. There was a previous update that solved the only issue I had with optical: a delay between audio and video.

My unit maintains a rock solid connection. I use it mostly via Wi-Fi but I tried it hardwired for months and it works correclty. We all have different networking equipment so it may be time for you to isolate where the issue is.

I also used to have trouble with 12V trigger, but I realized the problem was an adapter I had that converted from 3.5mm plug to 2.5mm. I just replaced all that to a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable and all problems gone. And yes, having some kind of customization for trigger auto off would be nice.

Top Bottom