• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 282 80.6%

• Total voters

audioje

Just in case, though most people here should be already familiar with, minimserver on widows 11 pc works very well with wiim's home music share.

hearone

Forum Donor
My evidence is that I have two streaming services, TIDAL and Apple Music lossless. If I cast the same song from Apple music or TIDAL using AirPlay from my phone to my WiiM , the WiiM always shows 256 Kbit/s for Apple music and TIDAL. If I use TIDAL connect, the data transfer is much higher, always more than 750 Kbit/s. However, using this 750 kbit song with AirPlay 2, the WiiM only gets 256 Kbit/s.

WiiM uses airplay 2 . Some years ago I used AirPlay 1 with an AirPort express and this had a higher bitrate and offered CD quality. The supported new format from apple is AirPlay 2 , not 1.
My conclusion is that Airplay 2 is a lossy transfer protocol probably made for multiroom and multichannel and not suited for serious listening.

So , for getting high quality streaming you will need TIDAL connect or Qubos . Apple TV 4k dont have this.
I get similar 256kb bit (44.1/16 stream on my RME ADCI status screen) rate when I cast Apple Hi-Res Lostless Music from my iPhone to the WIIM Pro. The WIIM phone app shows 256kb for all Apple Music going into the RME DAC. If you loot at the Apple Music app, it does show lossless AFLAC. Apple may be sending it, but I am not getting it in my Wiim Pro app per its readout.

I can not prove it is an AAC 256 stream (but is sure seems like one LOL), but when I compare the same track from Qobus on Wiim Pro vs the Apple Music cast, I always find the Qobus sounds better. Not interested in arguing if I measured it- ad finitirum. Just have no interested in feeding my HD600/speakers/RME Dac setup a 256kb stream, when I can get Qobus for about the same annual price.

If and when Apple Music ever opens up their lossless API across other platforms, I willl probably drop Qobuz. Eversolo tried to do it with their custom Android "MusicOS Engine" to bypass the lack of supported Apple HR music APIs, but I found it unstable and unsatisfactory.. So come on Apple, open up the garden just a "bit."

Last edited:

kkeretic

3. I had album art display problems in the WiiM Home app with music files on my NAS, streamed via DLNA over Ethernet. In song list view, some of the small cover images only displayed partially. Larger album images usually displayed as four tiled smaller images. These problems didn't occur on Synology's DS Audio app or in Audio Station in a web browser. (I wouldn't have returned it if these were the only issues, btw.)
This has been happening to me as well since one of the recent WiiM Home app upgrades. I use foobar2000 as a server.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I see Deezer Connect, but Deezer only 'casts' to my Wiim Pro (I guess it is the same with Plus), no Connect functional option.
Do I miss anything?

Sloppy Joe

I have no time to read all 23 pages, so this may have come up before. I noticed that a 96/24 FLAC from my Synology NAS with an ethernet connection is put out as 96/16 by the WiiM Pro Plus. I can see that on my RME-2 DAC. However the same music stored on the NAS as a WAV file is put out the correct 96/24 to my DAC. Weird.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I noticed that a 96/24 FLAC from my Synology NAS with an ethernet connection is put out as 96/16 by the WiiM Pro Plus. I can see that on my RME-2 DAC. However the same music stored on the NAS as a WAV file is put out the correct 96/24 to my DAC.
Which music server add-on package is running on your Synology? If available, you might try MinimServer.

MaxMad

I love my Wiim Pro Plus! It's an excellent DAC and replaced my Fiio K7 and Wiim Pro in my audio chain to the Cayin HA-3A. Cristal clear sound and perfect output level adjustment to avoid distortions on my poweramp. 4 Band PEQ also nice to have feature and selectable DAC filters. Beset Combo, best DAC in this price range out there!

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Installing MinimServer does what exactly?
It's possible there is a glitch in Mediaserver that is causing 24/96 FLAC to be streamed as 16/96. MinimServer is an alternative DLNA music server that is very solid. You would run it instead of the server package you are currently running.

If results are no better, you can go back to Mediaserver if you want.

bobster

I am using Mediaserver on my DS224+ with DSM7.2.1.
Installing MinimServer does what exactly?

A free version called MinimServer Lite is available in Synology's Package Center so you can test drive it. I tried it on my DS218+. For my basic needs, I didn't notice any significant difference from Synology's server, so I reverted to the latter.

Confused

Hi All, happy to be a fresh member of this community.
I took the plunge and ordered the WiiM Pro Plus. I want to pair it with my Denon AVR-1912 which in turn connects via HDMI to a Blu-ray/CD player. What is the best way to pair the Wiim Pro Plus if I also want to listen to CDs via wireless speakers in various zones?

Brantome

Major Contributor
Hi All, happy to be a fresh member of this community.
I took the plunge and ordered the WiiM Pro Plus. I want to pair it with my Denon AVR-1912 which in turn connects via HDMI to a Blu-ray/CD player. What is the best way to pair the Wiim Pro Plus if I also want to listen to CDs via wireless speakers in various zones?
If the wireless speakers support airplay, you could use the Pro Plus’ AirPlay casting feature if you take optical out (or even RCA out) from your CD player into the matching input(s) on the Pro Plus.

Confused

If the wireless speakers support airplay, you could use the Pro Plus’ AirPlay casting feature if you take optical out (or even RCA out) from your CD player into the matching input(s) on the Pro Plus.
Thanks, unfortunately there's only HDMI out from the Blu-ray/cd player. Would it be possible to use an output of the Denon AVR-1912? (picture attached)

I still have to buy speakers. Was thinking of a stereo pair of Apple homepod mini's, so Airplay support is there. But for the living room I want really good speakers, preferable wireless too. Is it only possible to choose one wireless protocol for all speakers in the house? Is a speaker like the Dali SL-7 or Oberon a good choice?

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 52

gumblag

Well I bought two WIIM Pro Plus, one for my son and one for me. I noticed that the 'WIIM Home' software looks and feels the same as 'Streamer 4' the software for the Arylic S Pro Plus. In the software for the Arylic I could see what was playing and how the properties were setup in the WIIM Pro Plus. I did not try to control the Wiim with the software for the Arylic S Pro Plus, though. By the time I realised I could try that, I had deleted 'Streamer 4' from my I-Phone already.

thdny

I was looking for a cd player at this size but couldn't find a good one. So I decided to go with with Wiim network player. I think it is a pretty good deal. I just need to convert my cds to flac.

Doublej

Thanks, unfortunately there's only HDMI out from the Blu-ray/cd player. Would it be possible to use an output of the Denon AVR-1912? (picture attached)

I still have to buy speakers. Was thinking of a stereo pair of Apple homepod mini's, so Airplay support is there. But for the living room I want really good speakers, preferable wireless too. Is it only possible to choose one wireless protocol for all speakers in the house? Is a speaker like the Dali SL-7 or Oberon a good choice?
The Denon does not have left/right pre-out jacks or a digital output so you can't easily take the output of the Denon and feed it to a WiiM. The Denon supports AirPlay so you should be able to use the Denon directly to send an input from it to AirPlay speakers.

On FB Marketplace, I purchased a minty used Blu-ray player with an optical output which I have plugged into the optical input on my WiiM Pro Plus. Or you could purchase a new DVD player for around $50 and plug the audio analog output of the DVD player into the Line In on the WiiM. Then you could use the WiiM as an AirPlay transmitter, sending the WiiM's otuput to AirPlay speakers or the Denon unit which should then act as an AirPlay speaker.

Confused

The Denon does not have left/right pre-out jacks or a digital output so you can't easily take the output of the Denon and feed it to a WiiM. The Denon supports AirPlay so you should be able to use the Denon directly to send an input from it to AirPlay speakers.

On FB Marketplace, I purchased a minty used Blu-ray player with an optical output which I have plugged into the optical input on my WiiM Pro Plus. Or you could purchase a new DVD player for around $50 and plug the audio analog output of the DVD player into the Line In on the WiiM. Then you could use the WiiM as an AirPlay transmitter, sending the WiiM's otuput to AirPlay speakers or the Denon unit which should then act as an AirPlay speaker.
Thanks. Yes the Denon supports Airplay (v1) but I prefer to do everything with the WiiM App. Not everyone in the house has the ambition to memorize different routes for listening to music.

I've recently purchased a used Denon 2500 BT for €75 ($80). Shortly after I first heard of the WiiM Pro Plus.

The Denon AVR-1912 does have an optical IN labelled as 'OPTICAL (TV)'. But it didn't work when I connected it to the WiiM Pro Plus.

Top Bottom