• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 275 80.2%

• Total voters

ivayvr

If I understand correctly, wiim pro plus will be able to do a room correction after some future updates. Does anybody know what will serve as a measuring microphone? Will that be the one that is being used to synchronize the group delay or some additional interface or equipment will be needed?

Labjr

Major Contributor
Bit perfect is vastly over-rated in my opinion. It's only benefit is if you can verify you have bit perfect, then you can be certain no damage has been done to the audio.

But all properly implemented DSP is going to be inaudible in any case (except where it is supposed to be audible eg when doing EQ) - and there are very few products that have improper implementation.

Even more: if an audiophile insists on bit perfect then they can't have room EQ - resulting in a significant detriment to sound quality.

I'm sure a well designed product can offer both bit-perfect and DSP and the user can decide. I want the DAC to do the decoding when listening to DSD.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure a well designed product can offer both bit-perfect and DSP and the user can decide.
Well yes - of course they can, and some do. But the user still has to decide. One or the other, not both.

Those obsessed with bit perfect are going to miss out.

elmoe420

no,.. the peq mode is present on the mini..and for the moment the same as on pro and pro plus

My bad I thought at some point there was some discussion about the pro supporting more PEQ channels than the mini due to having more processing capabilities or some such. Must have been my imagination.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
My bad I thought at some point there was some discussion about the pro supporting more PEQ channels than the mini due to having more processing capabilities or some such. Must have been my imagination.
that is also my recollection...... I have not read any comments from WiiM 'recently' of any of the streaming devices with more processing power than the Mini supporting more bands of parametric EQ

edit: not only more processing power but also more memory

audioje

Does anyone use a stereo 3.5-2.5 cable for 12v trigger? Does it work for wiim?

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor

There is an ongoing discussion. Currently, all WiiM streamers have 4 band PEQ. WiiM are looking to increase this, but it’s not clear whether they’ll be able to add more, or as many more, the the Mini, and we won’t know until either they announce something, or it happens.

jdjung

By digitizing the analog input, the WiiM can equalize your TT system, or cast that audio over to another WiiM somewhere.

The digitization step doesn't hurt fidelity, because vinyl is a flawed medium with limited fidelity. (Though still plenty enough for our ears, and often times with higher dynamic range than digital releases due to loudness wars :rolleyes:)

What is there, can be fully captured by even the midrange ADC built into the WiiM.
I still don't know if casting from Wiim to Wiim from the analog input of one Wiim is lossless (cd quality). Let's say I use a CD player instead of a turntable, (people have some weird hangup if it's a turntable) and NEED (as in hallway, T-Rex biting the wires, who cares, everyone knows a direct connection is better) to stream to another Wiim, is this stream lossless (CD) quality?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I still don't know if casting from Wiim to Wiim from the analog input of one Wiim is lossless (cd quality). Let's say I use a CD player instead of a turntable, (people have some weird hangup if it's a turntable) and NEED (as in hallway, T-Rex biting the wires, who cares, everyone knows a direct connection is better) to stream to another Wiim, is this stream lossless (CD) quality?
I don't own a WiiM, so can neither confirm nor deny.

The great thing about digital audio transmission via Toslink/Coax is that, unlike analog audio, it is trivially easy and inexpensive to capture, measure, and analyze.
All that you need is a Hifime UR23 and a computer running freeware like REW, Multitone Analyzer or Deltawave.

So if you'd like to give it a go, try doing your own measurements to find an answer.
It's a fairly empowering experience not having to rely on what other people say all the time. Highly recommended!

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still don't know if casting from Wiim to Wiim from the analog input of one Wiim is lossless (cd quality)
The ADC in the Mini and Pro operates at 16/48. In the Pro Plus it is 32/192. All exceed "CD quality".

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just numbers. None of them exceeds CD quality actually.
Well the measurement here shows dynamic range exceeds 17 bit.

Distortion drops off CD quality a bit resulting in total SINAD of 85dB - easily exceeding requirements for vinyl.

jdjung

I don't own a WiiM, so can neither confirm nor deny.

The great thing about digital audio transmission via Toslink/Coax is that, unlike analog audio, it is trivially easy and inexpensive to capture, measure, and analyze.
All that you need is a Hifime UR23 and a computer running freeware like REW, Multitone Analyzer or Deltawave.

So if you'd like to give it a go, try doing your own measurements to find an answer.
It's a fairly empowering experience not having to rely on what other people say all the time. Highly recommended!
This is interesting, I wouldn't mind. Is there a YouTube tutorial you can link me to and I'll get right on it this weekend!

staticV3

Master Contributor
This is interesting, I wouldn't mind. Is there a YouTube tutorial you can link me to and I'll get right on it this weekend!
I don't think there's a YouTube tutorial for your specific use case.

You can use REW's Generator to export a variety of test tones (1kHz sine, Measurement sweep, Multitone, CCIF) in .WAV format, then cast those to the WiiM and capture what comes out via the UR23 (In REW, "Measure" for frequency response, "RTA" for everything else).

REW has a handy Help section that explains what everything does and what settings to choose.

My personal tip would be that if you're on Windows, use the Java EXCL input type in the Soundcard settings.
The EXCL part means that Windows' built-in resampler and mixer is bypassed so that REW receives the raw audio signal from your UR23.

Edit: Oh and also, you need to manually set the UR23's sample rate in REW's Soundcard settings to match the WiiM's output.

If you're unsure what sample rate your WiiM is putting out, simply play a 1lHz sine wave and change the capture sample rate in REW until the RTA window also reports 1kHz.

A mismatch between output rate and capture rate will result in a shifted capture frequency.

Last edited:

auronthas

I have to admit I looked down on WiiM product few years back particularly WiiM mini. I was wrong... until last year October I bought WiiM Pro Plus, I was astonished with its performance particularly on its wonderful and flawless apps. Plus is now my secondary music streamer especially after it certified as Roon Ready and rotate with my DMP-A6.

I prefer AKM 'velvet' sound, thus my Plus is analog out to my amplifier, while my A6 is digitally out to Ares 2 to amplifier. Happy listening folks

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You know that ‘velvet sound’ doesn’t exist right?
We have a velvet toilet paper over here now that is smooth.
Keith

greg28

hello, i have already a wxc 50 since 2016.

And i have bought a Wiim pro plus recently; it's coupled with a topping E30 II DAC on a middle range hifi system.

This combination is very good with a lot of type music style.

It's an incredible value this new streamer; but i think the best combination is to use it with an external DAC.

The W-PRO+ internal DAC is good, but the combination of 2 DAC (E30 II dual monoral) gives a more fine sound. More details and seperation stage sound.
The W-PRO and E30II as a fine resolution as the WXC 50.

But i keep also my WXC 50 (good streamer even the firmware is not updated by yamaha since dec/2021).

Last edited:

radix

Major Contributor
I just switched from RPi4 + Volumio 3 to Wiim Pro and Wiim Pro Plus. I never found Volumio 3 to be super stable, especially when switching between multiple streaming apps. Anway, with Wiim support multiroom playback there's no reason to keep the Volumio 3 subscription. I'm very happy with the sound, but have not measured them yet. They do seem to be super configurable.

radix

Major Contributor
Has anyone used the Wiim pro with a sofabaton? I could not get it to pair with the U1. Does it need an X1, or will it not work with a universal remote?

Top Bottom