• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus & Fosi Audio V3 or WiiM Amp?

C0mbat

Hi all,

I've currently got a pair of Kef LS50 Meta, the Kef KC62 Sub, and the Bluesound Powernode N330. I'm considering dabbling with a WiiM to see if the parametric EQ and some room correction can make a significant difference to my set up in my smallish 5m x 4m office.

I'm not going to change the two Kef products so what would be best to swap in instead of the Bluesound. If I get the WiiM Pro Plus and Fosi Audio V3 then I'll need to use the pre-out from the V3 to the Sub. Does that preclude me from making the most of the parametric EQ settings in the WiiM at all? Could I still set a LPF and HPF or would the V3 stop that in any way. I'm trying to work out if the WiiM + Fosi Audio would prevent me from using the parametric eq in any way, thus making the WiiM Amp a better choice.

staticV3

Master Contributor
With the Pro Plus and Fosi V3, you'd ideally do: WiiM->KC62->Fosi V3->LS50 Meta

That way, you can utilize the KC62's built-in LPF+HPF to properly cross over the sub and mains.

Here's the relevant section in the user manual:
Screenshot_20231206-184115_Drive.png

Whether the WiiM Amp can high-pass the speaker out without affecting the sub out, I don't know.

OP
C

C0mbat

With the Pro Plus and Fosi V3, you'd ideally do: WiiM->KC62->Fosi V3->LS50 Meta

That way, you can utilize the KC62's built-in LPF+HPF to properly cross over the sub and mains.

Here's the relevant section in the user manual:
View attachment 332074

Whether the WiiM Amp can high-pass the speaker out without affecting the sub out, I don't know.
Thanks so much for your response. Will this work with the WiiM Pro Plus. I'm a newbie on this kind of thing. I simply use the line out in the WiiM Pro Plus?

Is there any degradation of sound quality to the LS50 Metas by taking a hop via the KC62?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks so much for your response. Will this work with the WiiM Pro Plus. I'm a newbie on this kind of thing. I simply use the line out in the WiiM Pro Plus?
Yes.
Is there any degradation of sound quality to the LS50 Metas by taking a hop via the KC62?
I don't know. Most likely not as transducers and environmental noise are usually the limiting factor, not electronics.

OP
C

C0mbat

Yes.

I don't know. Most likely not as transducers and environmental noise are usually the limiting factor, not electronics.
Thanks. And will using this method preclude me from also taking advantage of the parametric eq in the WiiM to do room correction? I'm assuming not but it likely means that room correction might be trickier as I'll also need to consider the HPF and LPF cross overs?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks. And will using this method preclude me from also taking advantage of the parametric eq in the WiiM to do room correction? I'm assuming not but it likely means that room correction might be trickier as I'll also need to consider the HPF and LPF cross overs?
You can use the WiiM's PEQ to apply room correction to the system, as though it was a full-range stereo one.

The KC62 handling Xover duties does not impede this in any way.

OP
C

C0mbat

Also, how does the volume work on the WiiM Pro Plus? Is it some kind of gain that will add or reduce gain on both the sub and amp?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Also, how does the volume work on the WiiM Pro Plus? Is it some kind of gain that will add or reduce gain on both the sub and amp?
Changing the WiiM's volume will affect the sub and LS50 equally.

OP
C

C0mbat

Changing the WiiM's volume will affect the sub and LS50 equally.
Brilliant thanks. I found an old thread on audio asylum about the cross over points for both.

However, I need to the try and determine the right volume levels on the KC62 and Fosi Audio V3. Is that just trial and error or is there a good way of doing that?

staticV3

Master Contributor
However, I need to the try and determine the right volume levels on the KC62 and Fosi Audio V3. Is that just trial and error or is there a good way of doing that?
In-room measurement. Either with REW+UMIK-1 or with something like HouseCurve for iOS.

Prowler_88

... in my smallish 5m x 4m office.
I'm guessing you're not in the UK, where the average living room (at 17 square metres) is 3 square metres smaller than your 'smallish' office. No wonder there's such a difference of opinion regarding speaker capabilities each side of the pond when they're filling rooms that are so different in size.

OP
C

C0mbat

I'm guessing you're not in the UK, where the average living room (at 17 square metres) is 3 square metres smaller than your 'smallish' office. No wonder there's such a difference of opinion regarding speaker capabilities each side of the pond when they're filling rooms that are so different in size.
I subsequently measured it last week and it's actually only 3.6m x 3.7m. So my guesstimates were way off!!! So it's definitely smallish and I'm definitely in the UK :)

I've since created a new thread for my first go at measurements. I actually did some more over the weekend but need to play around with things a bit more before posting my latest results.

soundaholic

Hi everybody, I ran into this thread since i also have the KEF LS50meta and KC62 and I am wondering with what to feed and power them. I am currently thinking about different alternatives:
1) a Wiim Pro (Plus?) or AMP as streamer and eventually a Fosi V3 as (with 48v, maybe two of the ZA3 or Aiyima A07max in mono-mode?)
2) Fiio R7 as streamer plus stereo/mono V3/ZA3 or A07max
3) NAD C700
4) NAD M10 v2

Does anybody have an opinion about it? Are the NADs, especially the M10 v2 worth the price premium compared to the other setups?

@C0mbat : if I saw correctly you ended up with two Aiyima A7 Max instead of the Fosi v3. What made you go with them? Are you happy with the setup?

Last edited:
OP
C

C0mbat

Hi everybody, I ran into this thread since i also have the KEF LS50meta and KC62 and I am wondering with what to feed and power them. I am currently thinking about different alternatives:
1) a Wiim Pro (Plus?) or AMP as streamer and eventually a Fosi V3 as (with 48v, maybe two of the ZA3 or Aiyima A07max in mono-mode?)
2) Fiio R7 as streamer plus stereo/mono V3/ZA3 or A07max
3) NAD C700
4) NAD M10 v2

Does anybody have an opinion about it? Are the NADs, especially the M10 v2 worth the price premium compared to the other setups?

@C0mbat : if I saw correctly you ended up with two Aiyima A7 Max instead of the Fosi v3. What made you go with them? Are you happy with the setup?

Choices choices!

The Fosi Audio V3 isn't an option if you want to use two. It can't run in mono. I got two Aiyima A07 Max for £65 each including the 48v power supply. I'm delighted with them. Along with the WiiM Pro Plus it definitely improves on the Bluesound Powernode N330 even though they cost less.

But you get two other major advantages with my set up vs some of your other options:

1) In order to use the high pass filter on the sub you have to take a line in from the DAC and use the line out to the amp/s. So you won't be able to do that wit your 3rd and 4th options above. I'm only sending anything above 85hz to my amps and speakers which makes them much easier to drive and allows the Kefs to shine on mid bass

2) The WiiM has PEQ. That resulted in me getting a mic for room correction. I've not even got to the PEQ settings yet but the mic and eq software has made finding the best crossovers much easier as well as helping me with speaker placement.

I just don't see how I could have a better sound with a streaming amp costing multiple times what I paid given my two points above.

soundaholic

Choices choices!

The Fosi Audio V3 isn't an option if you want to use two. It can't run in mono. I got two Aiyima A07 Max for £65 each including the 48v power supply. I'm delighted with them. Along with the WiiM Pro Plus it definitely improves on the Bluesound Powernode N330 even though they cost less.

But you get two other major advantages with my set up vs some of your other options:

1) In order to use the high pass filter on the sub you have to take a line in from the DAC and use the line out to the amp/s. So you won't be able to do that wit your 3rd and 4th options above. I'm only sending anything above 85hz to my amps and speakers which makes them much easier to drive and allows the Kefs to shine on mid bass

2) The WiiM has PEQ. That resulted in me getting a mic for room correction. I've not even got to the PEQ settings yet but the mic and eq software has made finding the best crossovers much easier as well as helping me with speaker placement.

I just don't see how I could have a better sound with a streaming amp costing multiple times what I paid given my two points above.
Thanks a lot for your super fast reply!
Haha indeed - guess you‘ve been there as well ;)

1) yes I just mixed the V3 with the ZA3.

2) I am not at al familar with EQing, need to dive into that too. NAD M10 would have a mic and Dirac Live (for good or bad) coming with it. Which mic did you get? Did you add anything else other than sub, speaker, Wiim Pro Plus, 2 Amps and a mic to the setup?

Both NADs do have a t which according to NAD support „… sends low pass (LPF) audio to the connected subwoofer and high pass (HPF) audio to the speakers via the BluOS App settings. The crossover can be set from 40Hz ~ 200Hz.“
But not sure how well that works.

OP
C

C0mbat

Thanks a lot for your super fast reply!
Haha indeed - guess you‘ve been there as well ;)

1) yes I just mixed the V3 with the ZA3.

2) I am not at al familar with EQing, need to dive into that too. NAD M10 would have a mic and Dirac Live (for good or bad) coming with it. Which mic did you get? Did you add anything else other than sub, speaker, Wiim Pro Plus, 2 Amps and a mic to the setup?

Both NADs do have a t which according to NAD support „… sends low pass (LPF) audio to the connected subwoofer and high pass (HPF) audio to the speakers via the BluOS App settings. The crossover can be set from 40Hz ~ 200Hz.“
But not sure how well that works.
With regards to the ZA3, feeding the DAC to the sub and then to the amps in mono mode negates two of the key features that add cost to the ZA3. The sub out and the balanced outputs. So you're basically getting nothing over the Aiyima.

Good point on the NADs. If they allow you to use a low pass filter via the sub out and a high pass filter to the speakers then you're getting the same result as me. So it's definitely still an option. I personally don't think it's worth the extra cost.

I got the mini dsp umik 1 mic. Seems to be the go to. I use it with REW.

Top Bottom