• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Pro or Wiim Mini+Dac

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
If the EQ improves the sound over not being able, for one reason or another, to physically correct the room, why would you not use it unless it's just for the sake of having bit perfect. To me that's no longer about enjoying the music which I thought was having a nice audio system was all about.
Personal preferences. I don't care about being bit-perfect when I correct a room acoustic on my DAC.

Philipp

why would you not use it
I would not use it because I would EQ in a capable device and not ruin the best possible output signal.

But ok, I get your point: If good enough is better than worse, it might be just good enough.

For the sake of this forum, where we judge devices by their capabilities, I want to state (based on Amirs measurements): „It is not what one should do“. The „it helps in my personal sub-optimal situation better than nothing“ helps nobody with an objective decision to buy or not buy the device and most importantly, for what to buy it.
It just adds a „the WiiM has a feature nobody should use, but some might enjoy it“ to the portfolio.
The good enough approach might just aim to low, aiming to low always makes for a boring discussion, but that might on the other hand just be my opinion.

Last edited:

Philipp

Toslink cable quality does matter in terms of the max length and the max sample rate
OK, we do not even know which cable (product) for what length.

@Michael G
Could you clear that up?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Toslink cable quality does matter in terms of the max length and the max sample rate when jitter is still maintained on the acceptable level.
You're describing extreme cases that have nothing in common with normal domestic conditions (usually 1, 2 or 3 meters cables). Just every good enough quality optical cable will handle 192kHz just fine.

Yes, it does 200 or 300 strain of glass vs plastic core
Do you have any measurements to share? My guess is that you haven't any...

This has been obtained with a regular, AmazonBasics toslink cable:
REW FFT WiiM App-1.jpg

Do you imply that a glass cable would have given better results? Or that you hearing is able to tell the difference below -140dB THD+N? Interesting.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
You're describing extreme cases that have nothing in common with normal domestic conditions (usually 1, 2 or 3 meters cables). Just every good enough quality optical cable will handle 192kHz just fine.
I think 2m and more would be enough to indicate jitter differences for 192 kHz. Though usually decent DACs will handle it easily if good quality cables are used.

Gibsonian

There is no room for improvement in the area of digital audio outputted by the WiiM if it's going to be correctly reclocked by the DAC. Simply because it's exactly the same - bit-perfect - as the source.

Yep, exactly as I see it. I'm using the Wiim mini and it sounds as good as I've heard digital in my system. If bit perfect and you have clocking at your DAC then there is no better way to input your DAC, esp for the money. The only reason I would buy the Pro is the ethernet input, would be kinda nice.

T&T

Do you have any measurements to share? My guess is that you haven't any...

This has been obtained with a regular, AmazonBasics toslink cable:View attachment 270524
Do you imply that a glass cable would have given better results? Or that you hearing is able to tell the difference below -140dB THD+N? Interesting.
There are plenty of web with forums about glass cable log in and discuss with those people, try first them let me know, if you dont like it just returned...if anyone want to try, this is my EQ setting made from Wiim Loudness EQ

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230309_183102_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20230309_183102_WiiM Home.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 340

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are plenty of web with forums about glass cable log in and discuss with those people
:facepalm:
The very reason I'm here on ASR is to not discuss such nonsense with audiofools...
try first them let me know,
So you litteraly have no clue what a measurement is.

this is my EQ setting made from Wiim Loudness EQ
Seems absolutely terrible. No one would want to try this.

Last edited:

T&T

:facepalm:
The very reason I'm here on ASR is to not discuss such nonsense with audiophools...

So you litteraly have no clue what a measurement is.

Seems absolutely terrible. No one would want to try this.
I have noticed that are people that coming to this forum just argue and argument.
The proof is in the pudding....glass transmit light better than plastic no equipment necessary.
Also I will encourage anyone to try western electric cable WE16GA for speaker and belden for interconnects...too Vintage too Retrograde

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I have noticed that are people that coming to this forum just argue and argument.
The proof is in the pudding....glass transmit light better than plastic no equipment necessary.
Also I will encourage anyone to try western electric cable WE16GA for speaker and belden for interconnects...too Vintage too Retrograde
0114E244-4143-4086-BF85-23F9FE2ADF06.gif

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
There are plenty of web with forums about glass cable log in and discuss with those people, try first them let me know, if you dont like it just returned...if anyone want to try, this is my EQ setting made from Wiim Loudness EQ
There are plenty of places with testimonials about coax cables sounding better than toslink ones or glass fiber cables sounding better than plastic ones. The only way for toslink cables to sound differently is to deliver different audio data to the receiver. The audio data stream can be passed through to the usb by the receiver and captured on the PC. I do such thing frequently and compare the result audio stream with the source. For my convenience I use an spdif switch with Hosa OPM-303 connected which is said to be plastic optical fiber and with Qed Profile toslink cable which is said to be plastic as well.
You can believe me or not, but I always get bit-perfect stream in any scenario where being bit-perfect is expected. My plastic fiber cables do not degrade the audio data stream.

Top Bottom