• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Pro or Wiim Mini+Dac

JLGF1

the only advantage that the WiiM Pro has over the Mini is that it has an ethernet port, chromecast, and also a PEQ, where as the Mini only has a GEQ?

Neither model has PEQ currently. If/when PEQ is released, as per the roadmap, both models should get PEQ updates from what I understand.

Morpheus

Forum Donor
Plus coax out too ...This comes in handy, as many Tvs or android boxes output optical, so you loose that input in your DAC ( most only have 1 of each)
Just want to say for those coming across this thread: the initial premise doesn't make a lot of sense. The DAC in both the mini & pro perform poorly. So either way a DAC is needed for a high fidelity setup. The biggest reason to get the Pro instead of the Mini is for ChromeCast and eventually Roon support, neither of which are planned for the mini. Also ethernet and digital input if you need those. And according to someone in this thread, the connections are sturdier in the Pro.

jfree

This is about WIIM mini vs Pro but more perhaps a naive newbie question.

Can the WIIM pro stream any music or sound from my Apple desktop computer (2008 Mac mini) through the ethernet connection, and if so, would sound (music) be any better quality than streaming the same music from the same source using bluetooth/Airplay2?

I generally stream music from my apple computer to my old Denon AVR receiver (AVR-687) using a relatively cheap Taotronics bluetooth receiver. it works fine, but drops bluetooth constantly and have to re-pair devices every couple of days if I don't use things for a few days.

So in general, if I got either of the WIIMs, would I get any better connectivity, would I get any better sound quality, or since the WIIMs would be hooked up to the old AVR-687, would that receiver limit any sound boost that the WIIMs might provide?

And finally, I have been looking to perhaps get rid of the Denon AVR and just move to an integrated amp with some type of network or streaming capabilities--would like to stay under $1,000 if I go this route--have been looking at the Denon PMA900HNE and possibly the Cambridge CXA61 or 81. I am not wed to Denon and was first interested in maybe Marantz, but need A/B speaker capabilities which the Marantz's seem to lack.

Thanks for any input

Hattrick

Almost any other streamer sounds better. I know they are cheap. But you get what you pay for.

Find a deal on a used Bluesound Node if budget is a concern.
Not sure if this is an accurate statement. I purchased a WiiM Pro and a Node X and ended up returning the Node X. Per streaming I found really nothing really better via UI of the Node X vs the UI of the WiiM Pro. In addtion, I loved the sonic reproduction of the WiiM Pro connected to my AVR 850 via SPDIF sounded better than the Node X using the RCA analog outs into the Arcam AVR 850 direct inputs. This was bypassing the internal DAC within the AVR 850. It sounded very good being the Node X but I found that the Wiim more appealing to my ears. In addition I didn't need all the other features of the Node X.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is about WIIM mini vs Pro but more perhaps a naive newbie question.

Can the WIIM pro stream any music or sound from my Apple desktop computer (2008 Mac mini) through the ethernet connection, and if so, would sound (music) be any better quality than streaming the same music from the same source using bluetooth/Airplay2?
First, Bluetooth and Airplay are quite different. Bluetooth communicates between two devices using a special low power radio. It always transmits compressed music. Airplay2 transmits over the local area network (LAN: either WiFi or ethernet) and can transmit uncompressed CD quality audio.

So there are two factors here: compression vs. uncompressed, and the means of communication. Theoretically uncompressed CD audio is better than compressed Bluetooth audio. However, most people can't tell the difference in a blind A/B/X test. But if you can, or think you can, then you will want the uncompressed audio through Airplay2.

Second is the means of communication. Bluetooth uses low power radios with limited range. Wifi uses much more powerful radios so can communicate over greater range. However, depending on your equipment, the wifi may be weak or subject to interference. Ethernet carries the same network data as wifi but over a wired connection, and generally has the best data rate and data integrity of the three options. Airplay2 communicates over the LAN (either wifi or ethernet). So theoretically, the best and most reliable choice (of the options discussed here) would be uncompressed audio over Airplay2 over ethernet. However, if you have a good wifi, there is no practical difference between wifi and ethernet.

Both the Wiim Mini and Pro can do what you want, except the Mini has no ethernet. If you have decent Wifi then that doesn't matter.

I used to use ethernet to stream audio and video to some rooms upstairs where the wifi was weak, but then I got a better wifi system and now I don't bother with the ethernet.

I generally stream music from my apple computer to my old Denon AVR receiver (AVR-687) using a relatively cheap Taotronics bluetooth receiver. it works fine, but drops bluetooth constantly and have to re-pair devices every couple of days if I don't use things for a few days.
So you could use the WiiM and stream to it with Airplay instead of bluetooth, using either Wifi or ethernet.
So in general, if I got either of the WIIMs, would I get any better connectivity, would I get any better sound quality, or since the WIIMs would be hooked up to the old AVR-687, would that receiver limit any sound boost that the WIIMs might provide?
Yes, yes, no. Well made audio amplifiers have been "transparent" for a long time. Unless you have some specific issue with it, your AVR is fne.

You would have the choice of connecting from the WiiM to the AVR by analog or digital (optical or coax). If you use any of the DSP functions on the AVR, such as equalization, tone controls, sound field effects, then it makes sense to connect via the digital connection. The Mini has only optical, the Pro has optical and coax. Both work the same.

A lot of folks here will insist that you need a better DAC than the one in the WiiMs. I doubt most (any?) of them could tell the difference in a blind test. I can't, so I use the analog output from a WiiM Mini in my office system, right into a Aiyima A07 amp. Sounds great.

And finally, I have been looking to perhaps get rid of the Denon AVR and just move to an integrated amp with some type of network or streaming capabilities--would like to stay under $1,000 if I go this route--have been looking at the Denon PMA900HNE and possibly the Cambridge CXA61 or 81. I am not wed to Denon and was first interested in maybe Marantz, but need A/B speaker capabilities which the Marantz's seem to lack.
I think it's cheaper (and better) to use a dedicated streamer like the WiiM. That's the part that will get obsolete fastest - if it does you can just replace it. And WiiM seems much better at software support - something most conventional audio equipment companies are very weak at.

Another thing I prefer about streaming over the network instead of Bluetooth is that ringtones, system sounds, notifications, etc. don't get sent to the audio system when I'm listening to music. The default with Bluetooth is that all the sounds from the computer or phone get sent to Bluetooth, which is annoying.

Last edited:

tomasai911

Not sure if this is an accurate statement. I purchased a WiiM Pro and a Node X and ended up returning the Node X. Per streaming I found really nothing really better via UI of the Node X vs the UI of the WiiM Pro. In addtion, I loved the sonic reproduction of the WiiM Pro connected to my AVR 850 via SPDIF sounded better than the Node X using the RCA analog outs into the Arcam AVR 850 direct inputs. This was bypassing the internal DAC within the AVR 850. It sounded very good being the Node X but I found that the Wiim more appealing to my ears. In addition I didn't need all the other features of the Node X.
My feelings regarding the node/node X is that IF you are not going to use eArc with a TV then the value of node really is not as good especially considering the internal dac quality of node (node X is supposedly better though).

I also use the active subwoofer crossover and I think it does make a difference if you have a good quality sub.

I use my node with a 70" hdmi tv with eArc and I also have Apple TV connected to the other hdmi input so that I can use the apple remote to control the volume and any thing I play thru Apple TV include audio and video. The sound quality from the Apple TV thru to the node is quite good and quite surprisingly with Apple Lossles (24bit/48khz sampling), it sounds really good.

If I was only streaming to a 2 channel audio system, then I would definitely give Wiim Pro a try but for me, I enjoy all the software features of node and looking forward to upgrading to a better node (...nad c700??) in the future.

Hattrick

Thank you.
In my great room I have an Arcam AV850 as the main control for all media entertainment. When I used the Node X utilizing its DAC connected to the RCA inputs which I can set to Direct will by pass all the processing of the Arcams DACS. When A/B comparing the audio of streaming via the internal DAC of the Arcam to the Direct input using the Node X I found that the DAC of my Arcam was as good if not better being there was the multitude of audio options available. The Node is a great audio tool and if I needed all the features of the Node X I would have kept it. But I don't, thus I returned it. Thus presently I have opt to use just the WiiM Pro.

On another note I am going through the rabbit hole of external DAC discovery and am testing DAC's from S.M.S.L and Gustard. I should have the S.M.S.L today and will post my findings of this DAC compared to the internal DAC of the AVR850 for both CD and streaming of Amazon Music HD. Stay tuned.

att007

Personally I would say it also depends on your amplifier as to how to match the dac and mini. For example I have the mini and rigged it up to my Denon PMA800NE directly via optical. The Denon has the Burr Brown PM5141 or at least I think so going on what is inside the PMA600NE but if anything it won’t be a lower chip than the BB PM5141. Now here’s the thing, the BB dac in the Denon, is imo, very good. A well rounded sound, full, detailed and balanced. The Mini has the BB PM5121 which could be one or two tiers lower than the Denon chip but they compliment each other during playback very well indeed and the Wiim Mini connected via QED optical directly into the Denon PMA800NE sounds excellent! No issues there at all.
Ok, now an exterior DAC, namely an Topping E50. I plugged the Mini into the Topping E50 and then analogue connection (RCA) to the PM800NE amp. The result was a mixed bag. I found the E50 less forgiving, slightly colder and or more hard in its delivery from the Mini through the Denon PM800NE, very revealing overall exposing shoddy recording which is great for critical listening but can be a little discomforting to the listener.
So I concluded at least for my setup that even the Topping E30 just might be a better budget choice (or the MK2 version) due to the AKM chipset which a more rounded sound than the ESS chipset used in the E50. Personally I would love the Topping E70v for this job but it’s way out of my budget but the AKM chipset will compliment the Mini very well. The iFi Zen v2 dac would also be a very good choice but lacks the optical input unless you buy the higher model which is over twice the price.
But yes, I believe any dac with AKM or Burr Brown chipsets would be better for the Wiim Mini, especially if you are using more detailed or brighter amplifier and want a more forgiving smoother sound. The ESS chipset might be a better choice for warmer amps like the Denon PMA600NE or something from Arcam etc but the balance for either should be an real point of consideration if you want to bring a degree of equilibrium to your over all sound
Hi,
I agree with you. I have the Wiim Mini, Topping E50 and SMSL SU-1. However I like the more clinical sounding of the E50 on lots of music, the SMSL with the AKM chip is way more musical with vocals and instruments, still with loads of details in the songs. Unfortunately I can't say anything about the Denon as I use a Cyrus amp.

Hattrick

Well I am in the Rabbit Hole. I just hooked up a SMSL SU-10 which is a great DAC. It was a bit of work to try to get some volume balance for my Oppo 203 using both a HDMI to the Arcam and a SPDIF Optical to the SU10 and trying to A/B between them. I was told in a previous thread my testing was null n void because I didn't use a voltmeter to match the output of both the Arcam the SU-10. Screw them, 99% of YouTube reviewers of audio gear don't use a voltmeter to setup voltage outputs. They use their ears and SPL match the best they can. Works for them works for me. So far I am using only CD's for testing. It is easier because the switching is done through the Arcam for both its internal DAC and the SU10 as well being analog connected to the Arcam. Both have Subs turned off running stereo. SU-10 is Direct which will bypass the Arcam DAC. I will post my findings when done. It is kind of a fun experiment.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,
I agree with you. I have the Wiim Mini, Topping E50 and SMSL SU-1. However I like the more clinical sounding of the E50 on lots of music, the SMSL with the AKM chip is way more musical with vocals and instruments, still with loads of details in the songs. Unfortunately I can't say anything about the Denon as I use a Cyrus amp.
Cool, considering an SU1 at some point, sounds like a good match for class d in general.

RDoc

FWIW, the Wiim Mini now has 4 PEQ filters in addition to the 10 band filters. I've just used them for testing and they seem to work on our system which is Tidal streaming in and optical out.

Last edited:

Hattrick

FWIW, the Wiim Mini now has 4 PEQ filters in addition to the 10 band filters. I've just used them for testing and they seem to work on our system which is Tidal streaming in and optical out.
I was just going to post the same. I use the WiiM Pro which I really like and the sound is excellent. The PEQ is very good but I find I am good with the graphic.

Smitty2k1

I was just going to post the same. I use the WiiM Pro which I really like and the sound is excellent. The PEQ is very good but I find I am good with the graphic.
Dang next you're going to tell me it also has native LMS integration and I just wasted $100 upgrading my Mini to a Pro.

RDoc

IMHO, for a lot of people, a pro plus, a pair of powered speakers like the JBL 308s, a calibrated mic, and REQ would make a better than decent stereo system for a very reasonable price. Music from streaming, TV sound via the optical input, room equalization with REW, all for about $700 new.

d3vil0

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a Wiim Mini. I want to use it as a Tidal source. I want to connect Mini to my DAC (Pro-Ject DS2 Ultra) via digital output TOSLINK.
I've checked this review
( in this minute he points that Mini vs Pro sounds different via TOSLINK
Is this true or just a marketing? How is this possible - Mini and Pro are Bitperfect, right? :)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
in this minute he points that Mini vs Pro sounds different via TOSLINK
That's obviously bullshit.
Is this true or just a marketing?
It's not true, but it is not "marketing" either, since WiiM never ever claimed that to begin with... That's just plain ignorance from a random YT influencer.

Top Bottom