• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

direwolf08

Ah, yes, now that I am checking my recent app updates, I got that one too. The word “new” made it sound like they were going for a significant redesign, which it is not.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wiim looking for beta testers for new PEQ

phx

Seems my Wiim mini said bye after a bit more than a year.

Last time i used it an update was made, but worked fine after that. However after powering up yesterday it started to flash red after startup. That didnt stop. But its also non responsive and while it remained blinking white after one reboot attempt it usually blinks white very shortly and then continues blinking red.
Attempting a factory reset isnt working either, no response.

Wiim only lists solid as faulty error.

No red flashing listed. Only found a reference to that here were somebody also thought it to be bricked ;(

Now wondering if there is any gain from getting a Pro in my use case.
Its just the streamer (Tidal), via optical to a Loxjie A30. I think in this use case i dont gain anything from the Pro, right?
The Pro has a remote, but for volume control i need the A30 remote anyway, and the rest is controlled via the app on phone.

Greenman

I think in your use case (which is pretty much the same as mine) then the Pro (or pro plus for that matter) has no benefit over the mini that I am aware of.

Reactions: phx

morillon

Major Contributor
the question remains a little open... ;-)
the jitter of the mini is very high and much more reasonable on the pro-pro plus

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the jitter of the mini is very high and much more reasonable on the pro-pro plus
Jitter on the Toslink out? Any evidence that jitter is remotely audible? And if it is, that the Loxjie is unable to reject it?

phx

I should add that the Wiim/Loxjie is just my bedroom setup. So i dont think technicalities would be an issue for that decision ;)

And all the other connections/features dont really have a use case for me there. Literally the only useful additional thing would be the ability to turn it on/off via the remote i guess.

morillon

Major Contributor
Jitter on the Toslink out? Any evidence that jitter is remotely audible? And if it is, that the Loxjie is unable to reject it?
you either have to listen to difficult music and resolving systems ( or measurements for curiosity( , wiim vs pro in toslink with this specific dac...
I don't have the answer ;-)

Gabe_64

Hello all.

So I just received Wiim Pro and it's pretty awesome.
Using it with Tidal Connect via optical to a Fiio DAC.

I know the DAC cannot play full MQA hi-rez streams but is the Wiim capable of it, IF I get a DAC that does support it -- such as something from the Schiit range ?

I've heard mentions that it may do but only via Coxial out ...

Thnx.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello all.

So I just received Wiim Pro and it's pretty awesome.
Using it with Tidal Connect via optical to a Fiio DAC.

I know the DAC cannot play full MQA hi-rez streams but is the Wiim capable of it, IF I get a DAC that does support it -- such as something from the Schiit range ?

I've heard mentions that it may do but only via Coxial out ...

Thnx.
Have you not heard? MQA is (most likely) dead. I'd certainly not be investing in kit just to play it right now.

Gabe_64

Have you not heard? MQA is (most likely) dead. I'd certainly not be investing in kit just to play it right now.
Really ?

So the best available stream is basically standard CD quality at 48/16 ?

So I should just concentrate on getting decent hardware etc. ?

Last edited:

JLGF1

So tgmhe best available stream is basically standard CD quality at 48/16 ?

Hi-Res doesn't require MQA.

Tidal Hi-Res.jpg

Seems my Wiim mini said bye after a bit more than a year.

Last time i used it an update was made, but worked fine after that. However after powering up yesterday it started to flash red after startup. That didnt stop. But its also non responsive and while it remained blinking white after one reboot attempt it usually blinks white very shortly and then continues blinking red.
Attempting a factory reset isnt working either, no response.

Wiim only lists solid as faulty error.

No red flashing listed. Only found a reference to that here were somebody also thought it to be bricked ;(

Now wondering if there is any gain from getting a Pro in my use case.
Its just the streamer (Tidal), via optical to a Loxjie A30. I think in this use case i dont gain anything from the Pro, right?
The Pro has a remote, but for volume control i need the A30 remote anyway, and the rest is controlled via the app on phone.
The Wiim should last far more than a year. I would contact Wiim customer service for advice and/or exchange?

OldManMatt

The last update was to kill it..so everyone would have to upgrade to the Pro. Just kidding obviously. I hooked my Mini up the other day, it had been a couple months since I used it. I tried Quboz thru the Wiim Home app and the Qoboz page is much improved from the last time I tried it. Much easier and enjoyable navigation.

Witterings

The last update was to kill it..so everyone would have to upgrade to the Pro. Just kidding obviously. I hooked my Mini up the other day, it had been a couple months since I used it. I tried Quboz thru the Wiim Home app and the Qoboz page is much improved from the last time I tried it. Much easier and enjoyable navigation.

Sounds like they learnt a trick from Apple.

Gabe_64

Am I correct in thinking although the Wiim Pro has an EQ there is not facility for adjusting the balance ?

morillon

Major Contributor
Is this the ‘very high‘ jitter of which you speak?

View attachment 314359

maybe you are confusing the mini’s analogue performance, which is poor, with its digital performance, which is excellent.
no no it's you who are on the wrong track and don't really realize what the measure of what you present represents..its limits etc.

you should think about what your measurement presents, what is implemented, and the limits of this observation in relation to the gigue present on the toslink output of a mini or pro
;-)
(a little clue:
Post in thread 'My Pro tests' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/my-pro-tests.186/post-2061
;-
)

Last edited:
Top Bottom