• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Merifon

Anyway I wont talk about it anymore as its exhausted as a subject.
IMHO, until is not stated that is pure Edifier fault, the issue could be pertinent... Some tests with other inputs (any DAC available?) or new Wiim would be useful.

telemike

IMHO, until is not stated that is pure Edifier fault, the issue could be pertinent... Some tests with other inputs (any DAC available?) or new Wiim would be useful.
You may be right, but it should be it’s own thread as it’s specific to one end product for one user

DTTOM37

I had tested the WIIM some weeks ago with an old MF V90 DAC, to my surprise still available at Musicdirect, which upsamples everything to 24/192 (afaik), without noticing any channel problems created by the WIIM.

Merifon

I had tested the WIIM some weeks ago with an old MF V90 DAC, to my surprise still available at Musicdirect, which upsamples everything to 24/192 (afaik), without noticing any channel problems created by the WIIM.
Thanks for the feedback.
I saw some reviews of that DAC, they say that it internally oversamples to 192KHz everythig it receives but usb and Toslink inputs are capped to 96KHz.
The point was another: could that issue with Edifier, appears with other devices connected to Wiim?
The sense of tests was to verify if is this specific Wiim that has the issue or is this esternal device brand quirk only?
Just to avoid in future, some bad coupling...
By my side i tested SMSL 100 MkII and SMSL DO100 and they work very well at any resolution.

Last edited:

DTTOM37

Thanks for the feedback.
I saw some reviews of that DAC, they say that it internally oversamples to 192KHz everythig it receives but usb and Toslink inputs are capped to 96KHz.
The point was another: could that issue with Edifier, appears with other devices connected to Wiim?
The sense of tests was to verify if is this specific Wiim that has the issue or is this esternal device brand quirk only?
Just to avoid in future, some bad coupling...
By my side i tested SMSL 100 MkII and SMSL DO100 and they work very well at any resolution.
I'll check over the weekend what the WIIM does with Airpulse A300pro, which uses the same Kleernet technology.
For a standard, I have the unit connected to a balanced DAC that feeds the balanced inputs of the speakers separately, which works remarkably well.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
@John Atkinson's WiiM Mini review is up: https://www.stereophile.com/content/wiim-mini-streaming-da-preamplifier

Conclusion
The WiiM Mini's analog input and output are serviceable, but it's the ability to output hi-rez audio data from its TosLink output that gets this bargain-priced product a recommendation from me. But to ensure bit-perfect playback, unless you are using a D/A processor that is restricted to sample rates of 96kHz or lower, be sure to set the Mini's S/PDIF output to 24/192. And to make sure the device is working at its best, be sure to download the latest firmware update.

Tarkus1984

I got my Wiim Mini today. Configured with no issues. Selected 24/192 as max output but got no sound when doing the test in the app via Android phone. I have a Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC that I'm using through Optical.

Selecting Qobuz with a max output of 24/192 also gives me no sound out. 24/96 works just fine. According to Schiit's webiste, the Bifrost is capable of 24/192 through all inputs, coax, optical and usb.

I have unplugged the Wiim to reset, changed optical cables, played around with the configuration but I'm just not able to make it work with 24/192.

Can anyone suggest anything? I would appreciate your help guys!

WiiM Support

I got my Wiim Mini today. Configured with no issues. Selected 24/192 as max output but got no sound when doing the test in the app via Android phone. I have a Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC that I'm using through Optical.

Selecting Qobuz with a max output of 24/192 also gives me no sound out. 24/96 works just fine. According to Schiit's webiste, the Bifrost is capable of 24/192 through all inputs, coax, optical and usb.

I have unplugged the Wiim to reset, changed optical cables, played around with the configuration but I'm just not able to make it work with 24/192.

Hi Tarkus, sorry for the inconvenience caused. Can you please send us a feedback with the WiiM app so our support team can take a look at your issue immediately? Thanks!

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I have modi multibit it doesn’t work on 24/192 but works on 24/96. The regular modi 3 which uses akm work 24/192khz.

Tarkus1984

Hi Tarkus, sorry for the inconvenience caused. Can you please send us a feedback with the WiiM app so our support team can take a look at your issue immediately? Thanks!
thanks for the quick reply! I just sent a feedback ticket through the app.

Tarkus1984

I have modi multibit it doesn’t work on 24/192 but works on 24/96. The regular modi 3 which uses akm work 24/192khz.
weird! could it be something specifically with the schiit multibit dacs? I'll test mi modi 3 tomorrow and see if I get the same as you. Thanks for the reply!

Smartplug

I have 3 dacs, modi multibit, modi 3 (akm) and lavaudio ds 600 (ess) both delta sigma works but multibit doesn’t work on 192khz. I’m using optical that came from wiim. 3 different dacs with different sound signature.

Smartplug

Are you guys using AV receiver to use your wiim or using integrated amp? Reason I’m asking because I’m not sure if the analog input get digitalize and that would defeat the external dac.

imral3

I have 3 dacs, modi multibit, modi 3 (akm) and lavaudio ds 600 (ess) both delta sigma works but multibit doesn’t work on 192khz. I’m using optical that came from wiim. 3 different dacs with different sound signature.
I just gave my modi 3 to my 15 yo daughter, along with a SYS and two mono class D amps. A nice little upgrade for a budding audiophile. :)

imral3

Are you guys using AV receiver to use your wiim or using integrated amp? Reason I’m asking because I’m not sure if the analog input get digitalize and that would defeat the external dac.
Wiim/modi multibit/saga+/class d amps.

WiiM Support

thanks for the quick reply! I just sent a feedback ticket through the app.

Wiim Support, when can we expect updates?
Hi smartplug, if you haven't send us a feedback, can you please send us a feedback with WiiM App so our support team can have your device log and look at your issues immediately? Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience caused!

Top Bottom