• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Hey all...I asked this awhile back but was wondering if anyone had any thoughs.

I have a projector for movies and am trying to figure out a way to get the audio from the projector to the WiiM. I use a chrome cast to send video to the projector and typically use Netflix or whatever on my iPhone to set up the stream. I’ve tried to figure out if I can send video to one destination and audio to any other, but so far no dice. Would a second WiiM on the projector solve this problem? I’ve looked a bit at other Bluetooth transmitters to hook up to the analog out of the projector, which might work, but Im concerned about latency. Will 2 Wiims do airplay to each other?

Thanks!
You cannot connect projector's aux out to WiiM's aux in? What's the case exactly?
For movies and BT you would need AptX LL codec which is not available on WiiM.

WiiM can communicate to each other in multiroom group. From the manual:

"WiiM Mini can be used as wireless WiFi transmitter that can stream the analog audio
input from CD player, recorder or computer to another (or multiple) WiiM Mini
connected device.
To set up the WiiM Mini with the Aux input:
1. Plug the 3.5mm cable into the Aux in port on the back of the WiiM Mini.
2. Plug the other end of the cable into the record player.
3. In the WiiM Home app, Go to Browse > Select source on device > Aux in, select the
Aux in for audio distribution.
4. Create a multiroom music group with your WiiM Mini. On WiiM Home app, Go to
Devices, select the WiiM Mini connected with your Aux-in device. Tap the group button
(with + sign in a box) in the top right corner of the device box. Select the WiiM Mini
you wish to connect with.
Once completed, the music playing from the device plugged into the WiiM Mini will
play to your multiroom music group."

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Audirvana playing to WiiM Mini via UPnP, firmware 4.6.430029

No issues at all

Can't recall who had Audirvana issues
Ouch... I hope the new fw will solve my issues with gapless playback using other UPnP controllers as well.

Music1969

Major Contributor
"Yay" is coming when I get the fw and confirm it solves my issue. "Ouch" because I hate to wait.

Audirvana is gapless in my testing. They fixed the earlier bug about playback stopping after 2 or 3 tracks.

Testing UPnP via mConnect player - it is not gapless.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Audirvana is gapless in my testing. They fixed the earlier bug about playback stopping after 2 or 3 tracks.

Testing UPnP via mConnect player - it is not gapless.
Did you enable gapless to renderer in mConnect options?
With the old FW I can see the same behavior when using mConnect as with eezUPnP - tracks are being played 2 times, first time is gapless.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Did you enable gapless to renderer in mConnect options?
Yes of course.

I played with those gapless settings - gapless by app and gapless to renderer.

Gapless not working with mConnect in any way i tried.

It is with Audivirana because this simply "pushes" the WAV data to WiiM Mini, so gapless is easy that way.

Whereas mConnect has WiiM Mini "pulls" FLAC data from URL

The bigger issue was music stopping with Audirvana. But they've fixed that.

I'm sure they'll sort the gapless.

Just gotta be nice to their support and have patience

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Yes of course.

I played with those gapless settings - gapless by app and gapless to renderer.

Gapless not working with mConnect in any way i tried.

It is with Audivirana because this simply "pushes" the WAV data to WiiM Mini, so gapless is easy that way.

The bigger issue was music stopping with Audirvana. But they've fixed that.

I'm sure they'll sort the gapless.

Just gotta be nice to their support and have patience
Could you please open http://<your_wiim_ip>:49152/upnp/rendertransportSCPD.xml
and verify if SetNextAVTransportURI action is still on the list, similar to below?
1663839791739.png

Music1969

Major Contributor
verify if SetNextAVTransportURI action is still on the list
Yes still on the list.

I have to see if this is mConnect issue though by playing to a different UPnP renderer.

I have vague memory that it is inconsistent - maybe why mConnect include the options to toggle on and off

I've purchased mCOnnect HD many years ago but rarely used it.

I only use it for troubleshooting when other protocols are failing

GiBo61

Has anyone tried the difference between a 2016 Iphone 4" SE's sound and the WIIM, because to my simple ears, the ancient Iphone SE's Dac sounds great, the Sangean WFR-28 sounds perfect, both analogue out (line out) to rca jacks to an old and cheap integrated amplifier/speakers, if the WIIM is able to match an old Iphone, then I can use it, I am slightly worried though that their Dac is inferior to an Iphone's, I think 99 percent of the Youtube audio reviewers are full of beans, every product they describe is great in most aspects (most of them come across as hack shills), I fear that the WIIM might sound like garbage without an external Dac, because even the Youtube reviewers acknowledge that the WIIM's internal Dac is just OK.
I also use a Sangean Internet Radio (WFR-29) as a streamer connected (using the line out output) to my receiver in my office. For playing background music while I work the quality is definetly good. Never tried it on my main HiFi setup.

GiBo61

Only WiFi Alliance cert so far. I hope FCC is in progress.

But... also something more :)

View attachment 232393
Having the Wiim Pro an optical input means that it will be possible to stream a bit perfect audio (let say from a CD player connected with a TOSLINK cable) to another Wiim device in the same network?

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Having the Wiim Pro an optical input means that it will be possible to stream a bit perfect audio (let say from a from a CD player connected with a TOSLINK cable) to another Wiim device in the same network?
It could be possible, yes. I guess in multiroom scenario.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor

I know nothing about Audirvana, I've never used it, but it's common for UPnP that you "push" URL to the renderer which "pulls" audio data using provided URL. And it can be gapless if whole queue is pushed or if SetNextAVTransportURI is used to allow renderer to prefetch data.

Top Bottom