• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 231 48.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.2%

• Total voters

DesertHawk

One thing to consider is that I, personally, have had (and I have read online several others have had) great customer service experiences with Wiim. That is really nice for an audio electronics product in this price tier.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So - pat on the back to Amir not fudging the objective measurements. Seems silly. I think it's time he introduces some subjectivism, A/B listening tests to this site.

No, that's not what I wrote, and you either know that or else you have seriously misread what I wrote. Reasonable people can look at measured performance and come to a different conclusion about the "panther" rating. For example, Amir has in the past given a good rating to products that don't measure exceptionally well but perform decently for certain applications and don't cost much money. In those cases, some members have voted for a lower rating than Amir gave, because they felt the low price and decent-but-not-great performance did not justify a rating as high as Amir gave.

So it's not a pat on the back to Amir, and it seems that by claiming it is, you are just trying to justify the preconceived view you brought to this discussion.

Finally, as others have noted, Amir also conducts subjective listening tests too. But he references them to the objective measurements, which is the entire point of this site. No one here says you can't do subjective listening tests. If you want a site devoted to that, there are plenty on the web. That's not ASR though.

Last edited:

tsammyc

I tried playing Tidal three ways on the WIIM

1. From a iPhone iOS Tidal via Tidal Connect. No MQA
2. From WIIM app connected to Tidal directly. No MQA
3. From Audirvana 3.5 on a MacBook Air to WIIM via uPNP. MQA functions correctly

Option 3 definitely sounds the best, but there is the occasional dropout. Looking forward to they MQA unfold being implemented in the WIIM and for WIIM's Tidal Connect like it works for my Bluesound Node.

Elmar.F

When using the WIIM mini streaming Tidal, the cell phone itself is only the remote, right? Tidal streaming is done by the WIIM, not by the phone, isn't it?

Elmar.F

Thank you. Would it be possible to integrate the WIIM in my LMS-based Allo BOSS2 server/player to feed my RME ADI-2 via TOSLINK? I mean using the BOSS2's piCore OS w/ material skin and sending files via WiFi to the WIIM? The WIIM would only be the 'player' in this case.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Thank you. Would it be possible to integrate the WIIM in my LMS-based Allo BOSS2 server/player to feed my RME ADI-2 via TOSLINK? I mean using the BOSS2's piCore OS w/ material skin and sending files via WiFi to the WIIM? The WIIM would only be the 'player' in this case.
Yes, install the UPnP/DLNA Bridge plugin on your LMS instance. The WiiM Mini will show up as a renderer. Set "fixed volume" on the Player settings in LMS, and in the WiiM app, and the path will be bit-perfect up to 24/192 via the optical output to your RME.

Elmar.F

Yes, install the UPnP/DLNA Bridge plugin on your LMS instance. The WiiM Mini will show up as a renderer. Set "fixed volume" on the Player settings in LMS, and in the WiiM app, and the path will be bit-perfect up to 24/192 via the optical output to your RME.
That's what I'm going to do, thank you. I'll be ordering the WIIM to see how it competes with the BOSS2 feeding the RME's analog in. Another option would have been the Allo Digione Signature as it has digital out but it is currently not available and don't forget its relatively high price.

Scot_Douglas

Sorry for this uneducated/newbie request:
I currently use Amazon Unlimited HD service. I have no need for Roon.
My stereo system uses an Aragon (1990s vintage) preamp which are connected to monoblock power amps.
My current digital is:
Sonos Port > coaxial SPDIF > 1990's 16/44.1 DAC. The DAC is connected via RCA to the preamp.
If I change this to:
WiiM > Toslink SPDIF > Topping E30
will I be making a mistake? Do you think my 65 year old ears will notice any improvement?
Any suggestions form the ASR wonderful experts will be really appreciated!!!!!
That's essentially what I'm doing. Amazon / Spotify to WiiM toslinked to a SMSL DAC connected to a preamp via RCA. I've never enjoyed music this much before. :)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What type of security concerns would have for this type of device, seriously? If concerned about your network, limit it’s access.
That sounds doable. I didn't know information security could be that easy.:p

2eLjpr6.jpeg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If there was real information stored on the device then there would be more worries possibly, but there really isn’t.
  • Google account
  • Amazon account
  • Cloud storage accounts
Or the device could simply be controlled as a advanced persistent threat, until it's time to do something with it. Either sneak into other networks, use it as a traffic sniffer or DDoS other services.

Security is a complex business, there is no easy solution to it, i'm afraid.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  • Google account
  • Amazon account
  • Cloud storage accounts
Or the device could simply be controlled as a advanced persistent threat, until it's time to do something with it. Either sneak into other networks, use it as a traffic sniffer or DDoS other services.

Unplug the WiiM puck when it's not in use. That's one of the easiest security measures you can take.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
  • Google account
  • Amazon account
  • Cloud storage accounts

For 40 years I’ve always looked at security concerns dependent on the value of the target. It’s usually well within anyone’s means to be secure if they take proper steps.

DrZingo

Ah, that's probably it. I use UAPP so it's moot for me. I want every tiny bit I pay for:p
Yes, although I personally don't care about HiRes I appreciate being able to play 44.1kHz CD-quality files without conversion. I also constantly use the parametric eq plugin. The DSP in the player can also be applied when streaming over Chromecast, a neat feature. It takes a few seconds for changes to take effect when casting though, so it's best to test out your settings wired.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I moved the WiiM to a larger room with the Revel F328Be and another ADI-2 DAC connected to the March Audio P452 Purifi amp. I compared the following configurations:
1. MacBook Pro -> Audirvana -> Qobuz -> WiiM (UPnP) ->ADI2 (Toslink) -> Purifi -> F328Be
vs
2. MacBook Pro -> Audirvana -> Qobuz -> ADI2 (USB) -> Purifi -> F328Be

When I AB these two configurations the WiiM (UPnP) configuration sounds thinner like it's not a great wifi connection yet the iPad Home software reports the WiiM has a "Very Good" wifi connection. On the other hand, the direct connection of the MBP via USB sounds a bit fuller and smoother. I also tried using iTunes as the playback software on the MBP instead of Audirvana. iTunes sounded horrible in comparison. The music sounded smoother and more controlled with Audirvana even though the songs accessed were the same exact digital file. I never realized how much better Audirvana sounded than iTunes. It's almost laughable.

What I learned is if you want the best possible sound with Audirvana, connect the MacBook Pro directly to the ADI-2 USB port. Every other connection has to try to be just as good as a "live" wired connection. You might get lucky and it works totally fine but the wifi signal can easily be degraded or the connection troublesome.

If I had a burning need to use Amazon or Spotify I might keep the WiiM for those connections but I never use them as Qobuz is my streaming service of choice and when I find music I love - I buy the CD. Those with different usage may find the WiiM a helpful tool. For me, WiiM doesn't improve anything in my system or add options I desire.

Top Bottom