• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 232 48.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 187 39.2%

• Total voters

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Blueone, AirPlay uses either AAC (lossy) or ALAC (lossless) for encoding. Besides the possible lossy compression, the entire audio path looks like the follows if you're playing Apple Music on iPhone and stream it to another AirPlay 2 receiver - Apple Music receives the audio data from Apple cloud > demux and decode it into PCM format > iOS re-encode it into one of the formats (AAC or ALAC) > re-packet into streaming format > stream to AirPlay receiver. Thus, it also involves transcoding. That's the reason why we don't recommend using AirPlay 2 for DAC performance evaluation. Hope it helps.
Got it. You're saying that should the iPhone app happen to choose AAC there will be perceptual lossy behavior. As far as I can tell, both Amazon Music and Apple Music use ALAC for WiFi connections when there is sufficient bandwidth. Nonetheless, Airplay & Airplay2's frustrating 16/44.1 limitation exists. If a recording with higher sampling rate or depth is transmitted, there will effectively be lossy behavior involved (word truncation and reduced samples), so I do agree that for measuring DAC performance either AirPlay version is a poor choice.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm very confused about the forum rating system...I'm assuming most people have not listened to or used the equipment prompting the rating box...Are we supposed to rate things based on what Amir some other people say about them?

I think the idea is, "Based on the measured performance, how would you rate this item?" - it's meant as a comparison to, or sort of community check on, Amir's rating.

Triliza

Forum Donor
you don't recommend a 100$ transparent digital streamer (cheapest on the market and 100% flawless in its task) cause it doesn't support fanciest audiophile software? xD Well thats wackiest thing i've seen on ASR. Please stop.
He has explained already why he personally doesn't recommend this particular product, what is of great value to you is useless to someone else. If you don't agree with it, state your opinion and vote accordingly. What needs to stop is all this negativity. For Christ sake, the man is putting a great deal of his time and effort to give us all these reviews, why don't we relax a little bit and give him a break.

jaykay77

I think the idea is, "Based on the measured performance, how would you rate this item?" - it's meant as a comparison to, or sort of community check on, Amir's rating.
So - pat on the back to Amir not fudging the objective measurements. Seems silly. I think it's time he introduces some subjectivism, A/B listening tests to this site.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So - pat on the back to Amir not fudging the objective measurements. Seems silly. I think it's time he introduces some subjectivism, A/B listening tests to this site.
He already does subjective listening with speakers, in mono. Subjectivism for electronics is silly. If I could give Amir any advice for electronics is to include more commentary on ergonomics.

Negatywny

yeah amrim is mine hero and he does gratest job ever, but one cannot hide his rating system gets a little bit wonky. Judging 100$ streemer by it doesn't have one function typical for 10 times pricier hardware is wonky. Its like "i cannot recommend this unit cause its black and personally i need something neon pink."

Otherwise grate work. Peace!

Eggs Ackley

Please stop.
Did you not see this:
Personally I can't recommend the WiiM Mini due to lack of support for Roon player. That aside, it is great to see bit exact digital output in a budget streamer allowing you to improve its performance to any level you want using your own DAC.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's crazy ASR readers in this thread care what rating the WiiM has in this review. It makes me wonder if some posters asking people to vote "great" have a financial interest in the product?

The product measurements are displayed. No need for a cheerleader section to try to slant the recommendation. There are some reviewed items on ASR with a poor rating that I enjoy using. AND others that have the highest rating that after trying them I return them to the manufacturer. Basically, the rating is not all that important to me or anyone who follows their own path. It's only necessary for sheep. :D

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its like "i cannot recommend this unit cause its black and personally i need something neon pink."
Are we having a problem with panther pink here? Do you even have a pink panther?

Before you ask:
PXL_20220418_185055526.jpg

DonR

Major Contributor
5 years old that repository.
Possibly several SSL, services and even network exploitable vulns in this.

View attachment 200729
These devices are all a security nightmare.
Let's better not poke deeper.
Yikes! Add to that the usual caveats about needing an app that may become abandonware at some point.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Yikes! Add to that the usual caveats about needing an app that may become abandonware at some point.
Well all people have to do is hide in the closet and put on their foil hat and everything will be OK not to worry.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
you don't recommend a 100$ transparent digital streamer (cheapest on the market and 100% flawless in its task) cause it doesn't support fanciest audiophile software? xD Well thats wackiest thing i've seen on ASR. Please stop.
Not the wackiest… but just to be clear did you adjust the levels before you measure the wack? Was it blind and level matched. Measurements only no subjective wackiest posts please.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's crazy ASR readers in this thread care what rating the WiiM has in this review. It makes me wonder if some posters asking people to vote "great" have a financial interest in the product?

The product measurements are displayed. No need for a cheerleader section to try to slant the recommendation. There are some reviewed items on ASR with a poor rating that I enjoy using. AND others that have the highest rating that after trying them I return them to the manufacturer. Basically, the rating is not all that important to me or anyone who follows their own path. It's only necessary for sheep. :D
I've noticed this in other threads (for instance, about Roon) and..<gasp>..even in myself. We tend to get offended when people don't like the stuff we like/bought. I don't know why, but surely it is one of the delusional biases that keeps the woo woo part of this industry in business.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked people to vote great. Seems to bug you.

No need for a cheerleader section to try to slant the recommendation.
You are free to not vote "Great" or ignore the vote entirely. ;)

There are some reviewed items on ASR with a poor rating that I enjoy using.
Why would you even say something controversial like this?:oops:

Basically, the rating is not all that important to me or anyone who follows their own path. It's only necessary for sheep. :D
You just made this many enemies:
Total voters: 227

Sadly, that is how it is with these kind of devices.
EU is working on regulation for it, basically a manufacturer would be fined if it keeps a device unpatched during a certain time after purchase. This would also mean that phone manufacturers would have to take security seriously. Can't wait.

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Recommendations sell products and enable manufacturers to stay alive to improve those products and provide support. So Yes I'm self interested. I'm currently listening to Technics speakers which were killed in the marketplace in substantial part buy one (1) poor review.

jaykay77

Recommendations sell products and enable manufacturers to stay alive to improve those products and provide support. So Yes I'm self interested. I'm currently listening to Technics speakers which were killed in the marketplace in substantial part buy one (1) poor review.
Was it the what hifi review? Worst! They only usually recommend British brands, and trashed technics because they have (had) a product that’s probably better sounding than the ls50, which it seems to directly compete with!

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Was it the what hifi review? Worst! They only usually recommend British brands, and trashed technics because they have (had) a product that’s probably better sounding than the ls50, which it seems to directly compete with!
Yes that's what I'm referring to.

PeteL

Major Contributor
He has explained already why he personally doesn't recommend this particular product, what is of great value to you is useless to someone else. If you don't agree with it, state your opinion and vote accordingly. What needs to stop is all this negativity. For Christ sake, the man is putting a great deal of his time and effort to give us all these reviews, why don't we relax a little bit and give him a break.
Well, all the reviews finished with if he "Personally" recommend a product. No need to clarify this, the conclusion is always is personal recommendation, we are not talking FDA approving a Drug we are talking about Amir thinking if it's a good or bad product. The idea is this is questionable. It's not like he said, If you are a Roon user, I reccomend you look elsewhere, which is also just common sense, but no he said I can't recommend the product, whoever you are, because it's not a Roon end point. This is heavily biased toward a specific App company and his personal needs to a point it's almost absurd. To refuse to give recommendation for this reason considering maybe 1% at most of music listener would need this "feature" toward a company who's business model is if you ask me questionable, hooking you for a lifetime of giving them 120$ a year just to use a player that don't comes with any content, just a piece of software that is already developped and paid for, that just have to sit there and collect your money, and to ask audio manufacturers to adapt to them, instead of them adapting to audio devices. instead he would chose to bring down a manufacturer that propose a set of feature never achieved for so little money before performing close to perfection in certain aspect and obvectively more than decent on others. Yes. Personal opinion, that's all reviewers can only do, based on his knowledge and measurement, tell people his "personal" opinion if it's a product worth purchasing, and influence the buyers because they trust his opinion on stuff. The idea behind this is. A reviewer gain the people to trust his opinion because we think that his opinion would be objective enough, not because his elitist piece of software was not meant to be used on a 89$ product.

Last edited:
Top Bottom