• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 230 48.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.2%

• Total voters

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
... a newbie (or small budget audiophile) might really enjoy it's simplicity.

Not being a newbie, nor particularly budget constrained ,can you explain why I would need to spend more than this $89 on a streamer as streamer (assuming one has a good DAC and DSP downstream)? Spending three times as much might get me an aluminum case and display, and what else exactly?

Last edited:

pingu63

Not being a newbie, nor particularly budget constrained ,can you explain why I would need to spend more than this $89 on a streamer as streamer (assuming one has a good DAC and DSP downstream)? Spending three times as much might get me an aluminum case and display, and what else exactly?
I think this sums the situation up. If you use the WIIM optical out (bit perfect) to a high quality DAC then surely the end result is as good as the DAC. £89.00 on the WiiM and whatever you can afford for the DAC.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not being a newbie, nor particularly budget constrained ,can you explain why I would need to spend more than this $89 on a streamer as streamer
Not saying you should, when you buy something more expensive like a Bluesound Node one gets lifetime curated software with sophisticated GUI, preloaded and BS/provider integrated and curated streaming services a lot connectivity options, higher tech cross-platform integrated devices like streaming amps with Dirac, etc. for example. So I'll agree for $90 and the willingness to integrate outside gear and software the WiiM is hard to beat.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Not saying you should, when you buy something more expensive like a Bluesound Node one gets lifetime curated software with sophisticated GUI, preloaded and BS/provider integrated and curated streaming services a lot connectivity options, higher tech cross-platform integrated devices like streaming amps with Dirac, etc. for example. So I'll agree for $90 and the willingness to integrate outside gear and software the WiiM is hard to beat.
Yeah I find the UI on the apps I use to connect to the WiiM sufficiently sophisticated, and between Qobuz, Spotify, and Tidal I have curation up the wazoo. And as suggested I don't mind using a separate DAC and room correction which require no ecosphere integration with the WiiM other than a Toslink cable connection.

5th element

Assuming the word “when” is a typo for “then” the sentence reads: the phone charger did not work so I used my computer USB port.

I think you've misread what Amir wrote.

This is what he wrote.

An included phone charger needs to be used to power the unit over USB-C. It did not work so when I used my computer USB port.

Which says two things.

1) An included phone charger needs to be used to power the unit over USB-C.

2) It did not work when I used my computer USB port.

Where did Amir say the phone charger didn't work?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I find the UI on the apps I use to connect to the WiiM sufficiently sophisticated, and between Qobuz, Spotify, and Tidal I have curation up the wazoo. And as suggested I don't mind using a separate DAC and room correction which require no integration other than a Toslink cable connection.
And I said I agreed with that. But others well healed enough and who don't want to mess with gear such as RPi just buy things like Roon with EQ or NAD with BluOS and Dirac built in. That is why, your question, for them, and newbies and budget mined I mentioned previously. Again, agreeing as a simple streamer its great.
There are 3 or 4 pages in this post debating over which features WiiM lacks, supports or will support in the future, so for others including Amir, obviously, its not so perfect.

Last edited:

My adventures in stereo

Ordered one
Cant figure out, how to get spotify plug in working on my minidsp SHD
this sounds like its worth a shot, will be using with toslink to the minidsp shd dac

analogmusic

with respect to Amir, I do like his reviews. But I am not a roon user and don't need it.

What the WIIM Mini brings to the table is

1) Tidal connect
2) Spotify connect
3) an app which has access to Deezer, Amazon music, Qobuz, and some others.
4) Airplay 2

the Google chromecast audio (when it was available) connects to Tidal and Spotify using Google Cast.

I like the WIIM Mini a lot, I ended up buying 3 of them and use these into 3 Chord DACS. The optical output into my systems sound very good to me.

jaykay77

google chromecast audio, is giving me subpar audio quality with toslink to minitoslink
Also having connectivity issues frequently, hence gave up on it
I have 3 CCA's running as roon endpoints. Ocassionaly one of them will need a reset, but these things work like a charm!

Can someone explain to me why i would need to spend more on a streamer?

I run my CCA's optical out to dacs...and as roon endpoints.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't say why you should spend any more. For me, the Node is a better choice for the following reasons:

1. Software/app. Bluesound is great IMO.

2. I'm able to output digital without having to deal with fussy Toslink.

3. Pretty blue LEDs.

DesertHawk

Qobuz automatically streams lower resolution music when a phone is used with their application compared to a computer.
I believe whether you are on wifi or mobile data is what dictates the quality of the stream and regardless of the defaults you can change these settings. I stream 192/24 via Qobuz on the phone app.

sacguy231

Got one based on the review, it arrived today and I just set it up. It's perfect for my use case. I am not interested in Roon. This WiiM is a nice addition to my home gym where I wanted to add Airplay 2. Now, using Siri, I can access my music hands-free while exercising. I have it connected optical out to the small stereo in the gym. For its price I am very pleased.

mSpot

Cant figure out, how to get spotify plug in working on my minidsp SHD
I don't have MiniDSP but it runs Volumio which I'm familiar with. There are two plugins available on Volumio — "Volumio Spotify Connect2" for Spotify Connect, and "Spotify" to play Spotify using Volumio's player UI (very basic and kinda primitive). You need a Spotify Premium account. After installing and enabling either or both plugins, go to the Installed Plugins tab and open their settings.

Connect2 plugin: I've only made it work reliably if I set Multi-User Device to Off (then enter your Spotify user/password). Depending on your system, you'll probably want to set Initial Volume to 100. When you open Spotify on a computer or mobile connected on the same wifi network, you should see the Volumio instance as an endpoint.

Spotify plugin: Just enter your login account, and Spotify should appear as one of Volumio's music sources. You should be able to navigate through the Spotify catalog and playlists.

mateolo2

WiiM has support for Spotify see screenshot.
I know. But you saw what happend after clicking that? It show message to open Spotify app and Connect to wiim via Spotify Connect and not wiim mini app. Thats Why i asking what now? Is it transparent or not?

Prana Ferox

I'd point out that I can (and did) buy this on Amazon, which is somewhat of a prerequisite for quite a big chunk of buyers.

Things I cannot buy (new or remotely near MSRP) on Amazon:
- Raspberry Pi's
- A Topping BC3 (why not, I have no clue)
- A ChromeCast Audio

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I know. But you saw what happend after clicking that? It show message to open Spotify app and Connect to wiim via Spotify Connect and not wiim mini app. Thats Why i asking what now? Is it transparent or not?
Yes, the transport via WiFi from the Spotify app to the WiiM Mini out the optical port is transparent. However, Spotify currently uses a lossy protocol, so it doesn't matter. Send a lossless stream to it via UPnP, for instance from an LMS server or mConnect, with the volume control disabled, and it's completely transparent out the optical port, at up to 24/192. See my photo of the RME test above that proves this.

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
You asked this before and I recall someone answering that the use of the actual Spotify app as an interface to a streamer isn’t unusual, indeed it’s probably preferable to use their app than anything a third party might try to emulate thru an API.
What do you mean/ expect by transparent?

Rebelhifi

Forum Donor
I use 2 WiiM with Apple Music (WIFI). WiiM Toslink out - Paradigm Link (digital in - Toslink out with Arc Room correction) - Topping DAC - Schiit Freya +. Works great and replaced Apple Airport Express. I use another to replace Airport Express in an outdoor system. Apple Music - WiiM Toslink out to Topping Dac to Paradigm Pre (outdoor system). I find the WiiM are a better replacement for the Airport Express compared with the Belkin Soundform Connect (I have two of these). The WiiM have a better app for control and options. If you are looking to move your Apple home system (I have 6 zones) from the Aiport Express, the WiiM look to be a good option.

Last edited:
Top Bottom