• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 44 10.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 224 54.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 130 31.6%

• Total voters

Neftun

This was pretty close to what I want, but not quite.

Where is the hdmi arc thingy with a digital output with volume control which is not a bluesound node that cost way too much?

Here’s hoping wiim makes something like that for maybe 200$ in the near future.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m of the firm belief that the only thing needed in a streamer is a simple Pi hat or Volumio-based microcomputer.

For those who don’t want to fuss with building one, iFi-Audio makes the Zen Stream at around $300, which is a tidy, sleek-looking little box that has a customized Volumio-based GUI, is capable of passing thriugh up to 384khz or native DSD 256, is MQA-compatible for the dwindling number of folks who care about that, and has a hardware switch on the back to dial between Roon-Ready, Tidal Connect, AirPlay 2, DLNA, HQConnect and Spotify Connect (it’ll host Qobuz through Roon).

Through its own software-based GUI you can select a range of buffer settings depending on your network capabilities, and it’s got a range of ports including USB out and in (the latter to attach external storage) and coaxial S/PDIF. I used it for years until for completely irrational reasons I “upgraded” to the Neo Stream, only because it was capable of passing through up to PCM 768 and DSD 512, and I was in a Roon upsampling phase (which was brief).

I’m aware that some folks grouse at spending even $300, but when you consider that Naim, Bluesound, Cocktail Audio and Cambridge charge various exponents of that with the promises of the “ultimate sound quality” (in their universe where digital audio has a sound), any many come with a lackluster integrated DAC many don’t need, I thought the iFi was the far more honest choice at the time.

DanTheMan

It has a latency of about 50ms for line-in, even for the lowest sample rate setting.

If you intent to do any sort of music-instrument monitoring with this, this amp isn't for you...

And there I hoped I'd finally be able to listen to my e-piano with room-correction, since this seems to be the only amplifier with a parametric eq. Dreams crushed.
That makes it a “no go” for me too. I’m just going to stick with a more modest setup then. I even started thinking about adding a turntable into the mix (no pun intended). Is it like that for all inputs?

Emiyanez

I’m of the firm belief that the only thing needed in a streamer is a simple Pi hat or Volumio-based microcomputer.

For those who don’t want to fuss with building one, iFi-Audio makes the Zen Stream at around $300, which is a tidy, sleek-looking little box that has a customized Volumio-based GUI, is capable of passing thriugh up to 384khz or native DSD 256, is MQA-compatible for the dwindling number of folks who care about that, and has a hardware switch on the back to dial between Roon-Ready, Tidal Connect, AirPlay 2, DLNA, HQConnect and Spotify Connect (it’ll host Qobuz through Roon).

Through its own software-based GUI you can select a range of buffer settings depending on your network capabilities, and it’s got a range of ports including USB out and in (the latter to attach external storage) and coaxial S/PDIF. I used it for years until for completely irrational reasons I “upgraded” to the Neo Stream, only because it was capable of passing through up to PCM 768 and DSD 512, and I was in a Roon upsampling phase (which was brief).

I’m aware that some folks grouse at spending even $300, but when you consider that Naim, Bluesound, Cocktail Audio and Cambridge charge various exponents of that with the promises of the “ultimate sound quality” (in their universe where digital audio has a sound), any many come with a lackluster integrated DAC many don’t need, I thought the iFi was the far more honest choice at the time.
This is not as streamer. It's a steamer plus amp for those who need such a combo.

Wiim also has streamers in different flavors that can do most of what the Zen Stream does for a fraction of the price. They are not Roon-ready (yet) but one doesn't need to use a hardware switch on the back to select the source (who thought this was a good idea?).

Personally, I have used Volumio and Roon on a Pi and, for my use, the Wiim app works much better and the whole streaming platform feels more stable.

I will not buy a Wiim Amp because I am using a Wiim Pro+ connected to an Audiophonics Hypex NC252MP based amp and I couldn't be happier. However, it's more than double the price of the Wiim Amp which I think it may be sufficient for many people (most probably including myself).

Just my two cents but I totally see your point. Different people, different needs.

Last edited:

7jm

This is not as streamer. It's a steamer plus amp for those who need such a combo.

Wiim also has streamers in different flavors that can do most of what the Zen Stream does for a fraction of the price. They are not Roon-ready (yet) but one doesn't need to use a hardware switch on the back to select the source (who thought this was a good idea?).

Personally, I have used Volumio and Roon on a Pi and, for my use, the Wiim app works much better and the whole streaming platform feels more stable.

I will not buy a Wiim Amp because I am using a Wiim Pro+ connected to an Audiophonics Hypex NC252MP based amp and I couldn't be happier. However, it's more than double the price of the Wiim Amp which I think it may be sufficient for many people (most probably including myself).

Just my two cents but I totally see your point. Different people, different n

7jm

I also have a wiim pro +, just wondering if you have/had any anxiety about connecting the output directly to a Poweramp.
I find that the bt remote is sometimes a bit unresponsive and am concerned about blasting out signal through to the speakers.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I also have a wiim pro +, just wondering if you have/had any anxiety about connecting the output directly to a Poweramp.
I find that the bt remote is sometimes a bit unresponsive and am concerned about blasting out signal through to the speakers.
Set a volume limit and you'd never have to worry about it.

Emiyanez

Hi @7jm!

I have my poweramp connected to the Wiim Pro+ via the 12V trigger. I mostly listen to Tidal through Tidal Connect and both the streamer and the poweramp wake up as soon as I play music from my phone. I find this setting optional compared to switching on the streamer and the amp every time I want to listen to music.

I have set the volume limiter on the Wiim app to 80%, which is close to my maximum listening level. There's absolutely no popping noise when the system starts playing and I am quite sure I would not destroy my speakers even if the Wiim volume is selected to the max (I enjoy listening to this level when I am home alone).

Being honest, the only thing I really miss is a rotary volume knob in the system because sometimes, when I can not find my phone neither the Wiim remote, I can not change the volume immediately if needed :). I am looking forward to the announced Wiim Ultra with the hope it will have proper preamp functionality so a volume knob may be included in the package.

Reactions: 7jm

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Just my two cents but I totally see your point. Different people, different needs.
Fair enough, point well taken! My mistake in overlooking the amp point and the price advantage. I’ll stop pimping for iFi now!

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
Your speaker is not going to have ruler flat response. Except some corner cases, what you hear is going to be within the scope of inaccuracy of the speaker, production chain and target curve you are using. In my listening test with the last class D amp so situated, it sounded wonderful driving my Revel Salon 2 speakers.

Couldn't agree more. This ticks a lot of boxes for music lovers on a low budget.

Big plus here is the App, stability of the streamer, and the high pass on the mains and low pass on the sub out, which we asked Fosi to implement in the previous thread.

Perfect for a second system or for those starting out in hifi - just add a pair of Elac or Wharfdale bookshelves and a second hand sub .... $700-$800 total for great sound and convenience.

The Audio World is a wonderful place at the moment with more and more inexpensive high performance gear being produced.
Yes. We had a wonderful session with q series speakers and an old mirage sub. The Wiim sounded great and I think it's performed within my given expectation. I agreed with Ajax that this is really what audio should be about. The company made a nice product here and one which even my kids can appreciate. I don't about the rest of you, but I would love ton see a stereo in my son's room or my older ones house. This is e real easy sell. My wife can use the app. That's a huge win. I am impressed

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
Here is a crude in room measurement of my Elac DBR62 with a Marantz PM7001KI compared to the Fosi Audio V3 that is also based on the TPA3255 chipset and has a similar load dependency as the Wiim Amp:
View attachment 351061

I´d say it´s pretty negliable and could easily be corrected with the Wiim Amps PEQ capabilty.

Voted „great“ on the Wiim Amp. Until recently amps made it virtually impossible to build a budget stereo system with well balanced costs between components. There are so many great deals when it comes to speakers, but it is hard to convince your non hifi friends to get a stereo system, when the costs for the other components significantly outweigh the cost of the speakers. The Wiim Amp might be a smaller „obstacle“ and will be my go to recommendation.
Yes. That's the point a lot of people are missing.. this is a great way to introduce a stereo to people. I never thought I would ever write a sentence like that. But I have three kids who couldn't tell you what a stereo is.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
Exactly. It stuns me that some folks dismiss this product as a "gimmick" or a "toy" or "disposable lifestyle garbage", all of which I've seen in reviews and comments. Yes, this amplifier doesn't perform at SOTA audiophile levels. I think that's a fair reason for some folks to pass on it for their particular system/use/taste. But its hardly a justification to dismiss it as "poor". The amplifier objectively outperforms a long list of products that have less functionality and/or cost much more. It can deliver SPL well above my typical listening levels through all the speakers I've tried, without so much as a hint of audible (to me) distortion. That's more than I can say about many amps I've owned.

But the amount of functionality and the relative ease of utilizing that functionality is what puts it over the top. Given the extreme versatility + performance approaching diminishing returns, the range of demographic that this amp can serve well is HUGE in my opinion.

Unless this thing proves unreliable in the longterm, its as good an audio product as I've ever seen.
I agree. This is one of thr best audio products I have seen come out in a long time. This is the gift you give to those people who have everything.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Does the USB input just take flash drive/ext hdd or can it read a CDR drive...?

375HP2482

I agree. This is one of thr best audio products I have seen come out in a long time. This is the gift you give to those people who have everything.
No. This would be superfluous for a person who has everything.

This is the gift you give to someone new to home stereo to short-circuit any erstwhile hobbyist "upgrade" urges so they can simplify and focus on their music.

Joffy1780

Does the USB input just take flash drive/ext hdd or can it read a CDR drive...?
It can't read a CDR drive I'm afraid.

Joffy1780

That was probably asking a bit much, but if it did that'd be really cool.
Wiim would probably add it as a feature if it were possible.
I suppose it would be a question of power output, as I don't even think it can properly power an external HDD.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

Yes. That's the point a lot of people are missing.. this is a great way to introduce a stereo to people. I never thought I would ever write a sentence like that. But I have three kids who couldn't tell you what a stereo is.
I don't think people are missing this point but rather expect an amplifier in this day and age to transparently amplify the signal. Which we can't be sure that this does as it depends on the speakers to have a flat impedance across the frequency spectrum.

I find it odd that a site that I see as data driven and objective looks away from the single most essential feature for an amplifier. -Because it does other cool tricks.

If components are to be judged for what they are and what they cost, more defined grouping is needed; AVR, integrated. chip amps with or without tone control, streaming capability etc.
Or the component should only be judged by the measurements without looking at price and features.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I don't think people are missing this point but rather expect an amplifier in this day and age to transparently amplify the signal. Which we can't be sure that this does as it depends on the speakers to have a flat impedance across the frequency spectrum.

I find it odd that a site that I see as data driven and objective looks away from the single most essential feature for an amplifier. -Because it does other cool tricks.

If components are to be judged for what they are and what they cost, more defined grouping is needed; AVR, integrated. chip amps with or without tone control, streaming capability etc.
Or the component should only be judged by the measurements without looking at price and features.

I think the data is driving the review. It's load issue for speakers seems minor to me. It measures and performs well in its category. I support data driven reviews by trying to contribute my limited knowledge and funds to the site because its important. The app to the Wiim is excellent. Maybe we can find a way to objectively measure that.. but part of supporting this site for me is wanting people to experience the joy of good engineered music reproduction. This does that and I belive the company is hyper responsive so will improve.

Last edited:
Top Bottom