• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

Anyone have a foolproof way to find out the hardware revision of a device without opening it up?
With any luck my Wiim Amp is going to arrive tomorrow.

I am trying to connect my Macbook Air m2 to Wiim AMP through HDMI and I couldn't make it work. I tried two different dongles and different HDMI cables and nothing.
Then I tried connecting the dongle with the HDMI cable to my DELL U2720Q monitor and getting audio through the 3.5mm plug to Wiim AMP RCA and it worked fine so the dongle+hdmi seems to be working fine.

I checked the mac sound configuration and I cannot see a device when I plug the dongle+hdmi directly to the Wiim AMP. any ideas?

Thanks

PS: I opened a case with Wiim due to the noisy amp and they acked the issue and mentioned that they would be sending a new unit. Will keep you posted.

I am trying to connect my Macbook Air m2 to Wiim AMP through HDMI and I couldn't make it work. I tried two different dongles and different HDMI cables and nothing.
Then I tried connecting the dongle with the HDMI cable to my DELL U2720Q monitor and getting audio through the 3.5mm plug to Wiim AMP RCA and it worked fine so the dongle+hdmi seems to be working fine.

I checked the mac sound configuration and I cannot see a device when I plug the dongle+hdmi directly to the Wiim AMP. any ideas?

Thanks

PS: I opened a case with Wiim due to the noisy amp and they acked the issue and mentioned that they would be sending a new unit. Will keep you posted.
I don't think HDMI ARC works with computer HDMI ports. AFAIK the device (eg TV) has to explicitly support the HDMI ARC standard which is different than just passing audio/video. You probably want to use either optical or analog line in with your computer or buy a different amp/DAC more suited for computer use.

I don't think HDMI ARC works with computer HDMI ports. AFAIK the device (eg TV) has to explicitly support the HDMI ARC standard which is different than just passing audio/video. You probably want to use either optical or analog line in with your computer or buy a different amp/DAC more suited for computer use.

This is from the wiim amp manual

Scenario 2: Digital Audio Source Input (TV or PC)
Connect your source device to the WiiM Amp's SPDIF IN (optical) port using an optical
cable or HDMI ARC with an HDMI cable

I think it might be ambiguous wording in the manual and they meant to imply HDMI ARC works for a device that explicitly supports HDMI ARC, not that all TVs and PCs support HDMI ARC.

Last edited:
Use following address in your browser: https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/httpapi.asp?command=getStatusEx (ignore any SSL/TLS warnings)
Just change xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to IP address of your device, you can find it in WiiM Home app.
Looks like my buzzing WiiM Amp I received from Amazon US yesterday is: "PCB_version": "2". Either the fixed power supply is a future version, they didn't rev the version for this minor fix, or the power supply is versioned separately from the main PCB.

Scenario 2: Digital Audio Source Input (TV or PC)
Connect your source device to the WiiM Amp's SPDIF IN (optical) port using an optical
cable or HDMI ARC with an HDMI cable
I think it might be ambiguous wording in the manual and they meant to imply HDMI ARC works for a device that explicitly supports HDMI ARC, not that all TVs and PCs support HDMI ARC.
Ok, makes sense.

I don't understand why they didn't add a USB DAC input to this AMP if it has a capable DAC. Wouldn't a USB DAC connection be better audio quality than bluetooth or airplay?

I understand we can always have a separated dac but in this case I think it would've been a great opportunity to have an all in one box.

Ok, makes sense.

I don't understand why they don't add a USB DAC input to this AMP if it has a capable DAC. Wouldn't a USB DAC connection be better audio quality than bluetooth or airplay?

I understand we can always have a separated dac but in this case I think it would've been a great opportunity to have an all in one box.
I agree that USB DAC mode would have been an excellent feature. My NAD D 3045 and cheapo Arylic B50 both have USB DAC mode. The rumor is that WiiM is planning a high-end "WiiM Amp Ultra" which will feature both a USB DAC mode and a screen (similar to high-end NAD/Bluesound kit). My guess is the audience for a WiFi streamer that also supports USB DAC mode is small (they're technically "opposing features", i.e., why would most need to fix their computer to an audio only wireless streaming device meant to power speakers on its own?) and they want to push that small subset of consumers to the more expensive ultra model.

I agree that USB DAC mode would have been an excellent feature. My NAD D 3045 and cheapo Arylic B50 both have USB DAC mode. The rumor is that WiiM is planning a high-end "WiiM Amp Ultra" which will feature both a USB DAC mode and a screen (similar to high-end NAD/Bluesound kit). My guess is the audience for a WiFi streamer that also supports USB DAC mode is small (they're technically "opposing features", i.e., why would most need to fix their computer to an audio only wireless streaming device meant to power speakers on its own?) and they want to push that small subset of consumers to the more expensive ultra model.
It'd be nice if they did pre out main in jacks!

You took pedantic to the maximum level! WiiM Amp Ultra ~ WiiM Ultra LOL
Fair enough ;)

The Ultra seems to be a development from their streamers, not their amp so if anyone was waiting for an amp update, they’d be disappointed…

Last edited:
hello

a question important for my old ears

in the app can we change the balance ? more right or lefts ?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom