• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why review small speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterW

Writing and reading reviews of 2 way speaker 6 inch woofer dome tweter is a waste of time. There are hundreds of so called good ones, none are better then the other, they are just diferent. The only thing they have in common is: They are not hi fi.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Writing and reading reviews of 2 way speaker 6 inch woofer dome tweter is a waste of time. There are hundreds of so called good ones, none are better then the other, they are just diferent. The only thing they have in common is: They are not hi fi.

Amir will gladly review whatever you send him, so get on it! ;)

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Define "HiFi". "2 way speaker 6 inch woofer dome tweter" can be HiFi, they are just SPL limited. There are plenty of "bigger" speakers suffering from the same issue. So in order to separate the sheep from the goats they all deserve proper testing.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are not hi fi.
I would disagree. Kef R3 is HiFi, all of the Genelec’s are HiFi some hit the top of HiFi, there is Neumann and countless others.
What makes a big speaker hifi?

Last edited:
OP
P

PeterW

Sure, a Genelec 8331 is not hi fi. Riiiiight.
Looks like a coaxial amplified and dsp equalized, not a classic 2 way. Not my cup of tea, but probably can qualify as hi fi.

AVKS

Looks like a coaxial amplified and dsp equalized, not a classic 2 way. Not my cup of tea, but probably can qualify as hi fi.
How exactly are you defining 'hi-fi'? With respect to the definition of fidelity, plenty if those speakers do a fine job truthfully reproducing the source material within the range they play.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Writing and reading reviews of 2 way speaker 6 inch woofer dome tweter is a waste of time.

So you can feel free to skip them. Telling our host his efforts are a waste of time may be a bit of an overstep, but you have been here for a couple of weeks after all. :rolleyes:

So, JBL 705s aren't hifi, kef ls50s aren't hifi...got it.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer big speakers too. But that's a bizarre premise.

OP
P

PeterW

So you can feel free to skip them. Telling our host his efforts are a waste of time may be a bit of an overstep, but you have been here for a couple of weeks after all. :rolleyes:

So, JBL 705s aren't hifi, kef ls50s aren't hifi...got it.
It is a constructive criticism. In fact, I think Amir's reviews are spot on.

OP
P

PeterW

How exactly are you defining 'hi-fi'? With respect to the definition of fidelity, plenty if those speakers do a fine job truthfully reproducing the source material within the range they play.
Two octaves missing and no spl capabilities. Better off with a head set.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find myself in the odd position of defending small speakers. I believe most are intended to be used with a sub or subs.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may be forgetting a few pragmatic limitations of our host's testing paradigms. For example, he's a retiree who (AFAIK) has yet to mention his extensive weightlifting hobby. So, if we take a "small" floor stander like the 226Be, I can see how he may not want the stress (and even risk) of carrying a 60lb. 40" speaker to the test suite on a regular basis.

Yes it has happened, but quite a bit can be discerned from the little brothers within same lineups. If you're not thankful for the objective data we do now possess, as opposed to maybe 8 years ago, you haven't really been paying attention.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't Amir have Salon2s? Obviously he appreciates the virtues of large speakers.

diddley

Forum Donor
I was very hapy with the review of the R3's and the rating list, and made my buying decision there upon.
To me it sounds very good better then mid fi and i am thankfull for the reviews.

markus

Two octaves missing and no spl capabilities. Better off with a head set.
...or additional subwoofer(s) which are a good idea even for "bigger" speakers. Of course only if "HiFi" is what you're after.

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
About any speaker requires sub(s) to produce the lows cleanly in a room to compensate for the room modes.
Add a sub (or two) and a two way with 6 inch woofer or smaller can qualify as hifi.
Some even close to the very best.

Try some Genelecs. For example the 8030C. Then add a subwoofer by Genelec.
Then try and replace the 8030 with a lowest spec model with GLM.
Listening to that is real hifi imo.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about Dutch & Dutch 8c? Not hifi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom