• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do passive speakers still exist?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think I will.

This is passive vs. active and you just put people in two boxes. That's not right. If you only meant the ones buying snake oil cables and McIntosh bling with cable risers, fine by me. But that was not how your comment went.
Not really. He said “often times” not “always”

JiiPee

I don't think I will.

This is passive vs. active and you just put people in two boxes. That's not right. If you only meant the ones buying snake oil cables and McIntosh bling with cable risers, fine by me. But that was not how your comment went.
It is of course up to You if You will, or won't.

However, I wonder what are the two boxes You mentioned ? Regardless of active vs passive design, most speakers are way too small to put anyone inside them... If You meant flaunters vs. compensators, that covers only a small group of people... If You meant buyers of huge speakers vs. others... well, if buying McIntosh stuff to impress others is open to ridicule, then why is buying huge tower speakers to impress others somehow above it ?

Liya

Primarily it is the way audio equipment is sold, typically the first question a salesman asks is, ‘what is your budget’ not ‘do you want the best sound quality possible’.
If the customer’s budget is more than say a pair of Kiis ( this is an actual example ) then the owner just does not mention them as an option and suggests something more expensive instead, which inevitably would be a passive system with the potential for ‘upgrading’.
This system benefits the whole industry, the customer not so much.
Keith
The dealer could also recommend something like active Grimm Audio's flagship at £30k, and with some added digital boxes and subs this can go well over £50k.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Grimm don’t have a representative now in the U.K. retailers don’t like active designs , sell a pair of speakers and never see the customer again.
Keith

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's passive aggressive ;)
So is the title of this whole thread.
The dealer could also recommend something like active Grimm Audio's flagship at £30k, and with some added digital boxes and subs this can go well over £50k.
It’s pro audio. Consumer audiophile dealers won’t bother.

Liya

So is the title of this whole thread.

It’s pro audio. Consumer audiophile dealers won’t bother.

Grimm don’t have a representative now in the U.K. retailers don’t like active designs , sell a pair of speakers and never see the customer again.
Keith

Grimm is sold in the UK only thru hifi dealers. I also heard them at UK hifi shows.

link

edit, in fact there are two UK pro dealers and 5 hifi dealers.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Grimm is sold in the UK only thru hifi dealers. I also heard them at UK hifi shows.

link

In USA my pro dealer has them. I don’t know if any hifi dealer has them.

Edit: yes some hifi dealers stock them here too.

Last edited:
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
$26K for an 8 inch 2-Way?
Yeah, no thanks .
Screenshot_20231216_195102_Chrome.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

link

Sound Design Distribution only distributes their MU1 streamer thing , he used to say that stocking Grimm speakers would clash with his stocking Kii, you can just contact Guido and he might bring a pair over he has in the past.
The LS1s are pretty decent but not £45k decent.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

link

And just looking at the two ‘pro’ dealers KMR and ‘ASAP’ they only stock Grimm’s clocks and cables.
Keith

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$26K for an 8 inch 2-Way?
Yeah, no thanks .View attachment 334757
You forgot the SB1 subwoofer modules $12,750

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
A dealer still wouldn’t be interested , buy the Grimms and there is nothing else to sell , show the customer a pair of Magicos that’s £45k for the speakers alone plus the pre amp, power amp, dac, cables it’s a pay day and then six months later you can suggest this brand new ‘x’ which offers ‘significant improvements’ even if it almost certainly won’t.
Actual sound quality is of little consequence.
Keith

dfuller

Major Contributor
The pro dealers tend to be much more active friendly because they've been a thing in that space for decades. In fact there are far fewer passive pro speakers than active because of all the inherent advantages.

Top Bottom