• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do passive speakers still exist?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Run out of screws?

1702065836475.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Pro stuff has historical looked utilitarian. I'm sure Genelec is amused by the ten consumers that might have bought their stuff if it looked high end, but not going to lose sleep.
The Checker Marathon was a pro component. I doubt that even ten non-pro consumers bought 'em for their aesthetic. ;)

1975-checker-marathon-non-taxi-the-official-car-of-v0-pm0c5h3oznua1.jpg

Random internet image of a 1975 Marathon. :) Note the gracefully designed 5 mph bumpers.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Checker Marathon was a pro component. I doubt that even ten non-pro consumers bought 'em for their aesthetic. ;)

1975-checker-marathon-non-taxi-the-official-car-of-v0-pm0c5h3oznua1.jpg

Random internet image of a 1975 Marathon. :) Note the gracefully designed 5 mph bumpers.
20 years previously, it might have looked swoopy.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate the optimism and affirmation of your use of the word aligned. :)
Lol well that's why I use screws. The boards float around on the polyurethane for quite some time unless you cinch them down in place.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With Genelec 6/7/8-series speakers you at least know that these were not made by your granduncle in his basement, according to the designs he remembers from his youth.

I'm personally not a fan of those Genelec series!

My stylistic preferences lean more towards the Adam T, A, & S series, or Folcal Alpha & Shape.

Theriverlethe

If only there was a way to get sound from a speaker with only one small cable.. Hmm..;)
A PoE speaker could use digital crossover for higher efficiency and EQ to compensate for housing/driver non-linearities.

I’ll let you know when I appear on Shark Tank.

D

Deleted member 48726

A PoE speaker could use digital crossover for higher efficiency and EQ to compensate for housing/driver non-linearities.

I’ll let you know when I appear on Shark Tank.

I still feel like it's two steps forward and one step back. You need a PoE supply as well. All this active this active that is pretty clever but you need at least as many cables and devices as with passive speakers. -Is it worth it? -The extra expense? -Audible, even?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Despite all the hype about DSP and digital crossovers, most high end active monitors don't really measure any better than the best passive speakers. This hasn't changed for decades.

I remember when the NHT xD system was all the hype, the measurements didn't show anything uniquely better than the best passive systems, and everybody said you had to get one and hear it to understand the benefits of infinite crossover slopes and space age DSP. I got one, it didn't sound that special at all despite thousands of dollars of fancy external DSP equipment.
So DSP and actives are a waste of time ?

Littletycoon

I still feel like it's two steps forward and one step back. You need a PoE supply as well. All this active this active that is pretty clever but you need at least as many cables and devices as with passive speakers. -Is it worth it? -The extra expense? -Audible, even?
Poe supply is a relatively standard network switch.

In the end innovation wins.

Next to ethernet based aoip It's just a matter of time for easy to use wireless protocols (e.g. Wisa) to gain even more traction and expand the number of channels at minimum latency such protocols support. This if you don't want to be locked into let's say a Sonos ecosystem.

D

Deleted member 48726

Poe supply is a relatively standard network switch.

In the end innovation wins.

Next to ethernet based aoip It's just a matter of time for easy to use wireless protocols (e.g. Wisa) to gain even more traction and expand the number of channels at minimum latency such protocols support. This if you don't want to be locked into let's say a Sonos ecosystem.

Innovation wins, yes. If it's easier or much better than how things are already done. Wisa is cool. But for 7+ speakers in a home cinema setup? That's a lot of 240 V wiring. And for what benefit compared to passives? -Mind you this comment is directed at home cinema. I'm well aware of the benefits of direct driver control and on-the-fly change of DSP profiles, dynamic loudness, and frequency extension benefits from the active approach.

Littletycoon

Innovation wins, yes. If it's easier or much better than how things are already done. Wisa is cool. But for 7+ speakers in a home cinema setup? That's a lot of 240 V wiring. And for what benefit compared to passives? -Mind you this comment is directed at home cinema. I'm well aware of the benefits of direct driver control and on-the-fly change of DSP profiles, dynamic loudness, and frequency extension benefits from the active approach.
I think going all active in combination with aoip will have lower tco (total cost of ownership) in the end, especially (read mainly) with Poe solutions like geneelec. This for larger setups, say 16 channel home theater, or multi zone solutions. For 5.1 or maybe even 7.1 electrical sockets are already available in many cases (sockets in each corner of living room), so wireless solution offer ease of use.

But we'll see how it develops, at this moment aoip and wireless solutions need to gain more traction to enable the advantages of active vs. passive in real life in let's say beyond stereo use cases.

chelgrian

I think going all active in combination with aoip will have lower tco (total cost of ownership) in the end, especially (read mainly) with Poe solutions like geneelec. This for larger setups, say 16 channel home theater, or multi zone solutions. For 5.1 or maybe even 7.1 electrical sockets are already available in many cases (sockets in each corner of living room), so wireless solution offer ease of use.

But we'll see how it develops, at this moment aoip and wireless solutions need to gain more traction to enable the advantages of active vs. passive in real life in let's say beyond stereo use cases.
I just don't believe in wireless for this application you have to get power to it somehow either via mains or via an amplified signal (which is really another form of power transfer) thus you might as well send both power and signal down the same wire. In that case wireless just adds cost.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, like there are lots of these rectangular boxes with wood veneer and sometimes shiny finish. Speaker drivers clearly visible. Can't stand those.

With Genelec 6/7/8-series speakers you at least know that these were not made by your granduncle in his basement, according to the designs he remembers from his youth.
Yep it’s like they forgot that diffraction is a real thing.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just don't believe in wireless for this application you have to get power to it somehow either via mains or via an amplified signal (which is really another form of power transfer) thus you might as well send both power and signal down the same wire. In that case wireless just adds cost.
I guess it’s okay for subs and surrounds but I personally wouldn’t.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A different “active” speaker concept.

Top Bottom