• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why can't we just ignore inane audio threads?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Nealy all the back pages in DACs.here's a couple,just read before couple of pages before my posts (opamp rolling in Fosi's and AIYIMA's too!)

Sokel, WTF? I'm really trying to understand, read a few pages before your posts. Que? Which posts then? Better that you point to post #X otherwise it feels more like ....:oops:

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Nealy all the back pages in DACs.here's a couple,just read before couple of pages before my posts (opamp rolling in Fosi's and AIYIMA's too!)

I read a little bit back. I don't even see SINAD mentioned at all...sorry.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Sokel, WTF? I'm really trying to understand, read a few pages before your posts. Que? Which posts then? Better that you point to post #X otherwise it feels more like ....:oops:

Did you read the op amp rolling thing I protested about?Isn't that enough?
Isn't it the same old stuff just throwing an op amp in this little things without measurements,documentation,etc?

The other thread?I'm I wrong?The thread I refereed to in that post in addition?

They all imply better SQ/"differences",etc.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Isn't it the same old stuff just throwing an op amp in this little things without measurements,documentation,etc?

I didn't ask for links to threads where people claim to be able to hear differences between stuff. Those are all over the place. I asked for links to people (and more specifically, "ASR people" as opposed to just new members or whatever) saying one dac should be purchased over another based solely on the fact that it has a couple dbs better sinad.

Sokel

Master Contributor

Read #929,930,931,932 in the Topping thing thread I posted,which is a drop in the ocean.
There are constantly stuff like this.

Just yesterday a member was shouting in a thread that we MUST have 120db SINAD or else havoc and mayhem.
It was so funny I didn't even commented.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor

To opamp rolling, or not, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of objective counterarguments
And by opposing end them...

egellings

Major Contributor

Op amp rolling can be dangerous. Buddy of mine, a non-engineer nor tech, did that, and he found an op amp that took the harshness and tipped-up HF response away. It really did, because the op amp he used broke into HF oscillation (well above audibility) and fried the tweeters in his speakers.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The thing I think people need to avoid doing is falling for the bait when a new account starts immediately posting subjective nonsense.

If it's a new account with a low post count there's like a 95% chance it's a troll.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing I think people need to avoid doing is falling for the bait when a new account starts immediately posting subjective nonsense.

If it's a new account with a low post count there's like a 95% chance it's a troll.
Well, the earlier you engage, the faster they are gone.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I guess I'm just an optimist. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume the posts are based on an honest lack of understanding of the objectivist position here at ASR.

Due to the hard work by Amir and others testing massive amounts of gear that is posted here, if you do a random Google search for a piece of equipment it is not uncommon to be directed to a link to ASR. Coming from almost any other audio site or having read any of the magazines, most new posters are unaware of the objectivist perspective.

steve59

Major Contributor
It makes me wonder. I am just curious about why audio discussions have this sticky ability to draw people in to rehash the exact same ritual debates.

I have quit every other audio forum. But even here, the exact same debates exist, albeit now often focused on the last 1dB of Sinad or such.

The audio community psyche is fascinating. Guess in real life we have either none or one or two people to talk to. But online, hey, let's excacerbate menial differences.

Repeatedly.

Why oh why? We are a ridiculous small group of the population that cares about the exact same thing... music quality. Yet we collectively rehash the same discussions to drive hard and seemingly irreconcilable ritual disagreements.
Personally, because i've currently got nothing better to do.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why oh why? We are a ridiculous small group of the population that cares about the exact same thing... music quality.
For some people, audio equipment can have meaning far beyond mere sound reproduction: A popular metaphor is to regard a series of equipment purchases as a "journey". Or, in the case of particularly costly purchases, even a lifetime achievement reward. With experience, I've gotten better at recognizing such posts, and not devoting much energy to them - let them have their fun! My own hifi past is filled with wrong turns, but some of them were entertaining.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess I'm just an optimist. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume the posts are based on an honest lack of understanding of the objectivist position here at ASR.

Due to the hard work by Amir and others testing massive amounts of gear that is posted here, if you do a random Google search for a piece of equipment it is not uncommon to be directed to a link to ASR. Coming from almost any other audio site or having read any of the magazines, most new posters are unaware of the objectivist perspective.
This. After a few posts it is normally pretty clear where the discussion is going.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not from what I've seen. People engage as if they think the people are legit. Then they continue engaging.
Then you've not seen the many times people have engaged with an open mind. The poster has made it clear they are not interested in posting in good faith - and are then either thread banned to have time to take stock - or outright ejected from the forum.

Top Bottom