• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is professional audio in the WFH age so difficult?

Guerilla

Why would you want professional audio quality for a video call? Genuinely curios. Patern of mic and choice of room(treatment?), beats any pro system. Im sure Pabolie's webcams built in mic, will give you "professional" sound. I dont recall what paterns are Called in English. Onmi, Kidney Super Kidney, cardioid?
Cheers? Bluetooth 5,3 headset and reciever should be fast.
Cheers!

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you want professional audio quality for a video call? Genuinely curios. Patern of mic and choice of room(treatment?), beats any pro system. Im sure Pabolie's webcams built in mic, will give you "professional" sound. I dont recall what paterns are Called in English. Onmi, Kidney Super Kidney, cardioid?
Cheers? Bluetooth 5,3 headset and reciever should be fast.
Cheers!
Some of us have semi-pro standards. I don't have my good microphone for video calls - I have it for voice-overs, tech videos and broadcasts etc. Sure the built-in mike in the $100 webcam sounds pretty good, but since I have a better one for other stuff, why not also leverage for video calls when I work from home? In my office I indeed use the webcam microphone.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you want professional audio quality for a video call?
Better picture and sound quality in video calls is associated with higher competency.
Can't find the source for it again, but it was trustworthy to me at the time.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Better picture and sound quality in video calls is associated with higher competency.
Can't find the source for it again, but it was trustworthy to me at the time.
Exactly. Which can be the difference between success and failures in very important communication.

As an example, a company I worked for hired my Senior VP boss during COVID times, and his home-office setup was cringe-worthy. Especially since we worked in the network connectivity industry and our differentiator was superior and predictable user experience. When I offered help, he stated it didn't matter and that he was a great, confident speaker and that counts more than flash. He didn't last long, the expensively promoted webinars we did with him bordered on being completely embarrassing - how can you convince interested attendees you have superior technology when your boss' video is ghostly crap and his audio sounds like he's in the Apollo 11 on the moon?

I agree for regular meetings even built-in cameras and microphones work fine if you're in a good, quiet environment with decent lighting conditions. The built-in audio and video stuff in PCs also improved a lot during COVID times - previously many laptops had abhorrent communication hardware - we have come a long way.

I remember earlier in COVID times, many people had huge issues setting up their home environments. But that sparked an innovation curve, both in awareness on best practices, but also in the tech that was integrated into end devices.

just1n

Forum Donor
I use the DJI lavalier mic. It is conveniently wireless, unobtrusive and provides excellent quality. Since my electronics lab is adjacent to my workstation, I can roam during a call without compromising quality.
Interesting so you use wired headphones connected to it to listen while walking around?

Top Bottom