• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not streaming but buying digital online for keeps

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I'm again looking for some recommendations. If anyone knows a good site where you can purchase FLAC digital files TO OWN (no music renting, please), could you please recommend me some?

So the idea is to have it like any other web shop. You browse a catalogue and when you see something you like, you pay and you download the files and you have a legal copy of copyright material for your home use. I know some, but the catalogue is not big enough.

Of course, I know, you can buy a CD and rip it, but that's never instantaneous.

Thank you very much!

SSS

Nativedsd.com much classical but also other genres. Octaverecords at psaudio.com own productions.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
bandcamp has some problems with signing up. It keeps saying my username is already used after I literally make up an non-existing word.

Frank2

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
7digital.com used to be decent, not sure what territories it works in. Or even if it's still in business

Bandcamp and qobuz as others have said.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like 7 digital is still going. UK and US.

Reasonably priced.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I use qobuz online store (sublime subscription offers great discounts), highresaudio is also a good source. And I shop a lot at ototoy and mora in Japan (VPN server for purchases).

NativeDSD is also nice for classical and jazz

And obviously whenever possible Bandcamp.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Qobuz says it doesn't do business in Croatia, but I suspect this is only for streaming. It shouldn't matter for buying files. I'll have to try.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm again looking for some recommendations. If anyone knows a good site where you can purchase FLAC digital files TO OWN (no music renting, please), could you please recommend me some?
Read the sales conditions before you buy. Usually you don't own the files but a personal license to play those files. Other than physical media these licenses can neither be sold nor inherited.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Read the sales conditions before you buy. Usually you don't own the files but a personal license to play those files. Other than physical media these licenses can neither be sold nor inherited.
That's a great heads-up. Thank you. I noticed bandcamp says you get both by purchasing; you get your files to dl after you pay and you get the opportunity to play them on bandcamp web.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a great heads-up. Thank you. I noticed bandcamp says you get bought by purchasing; you get your files to dl after you pay and you get the opportunity to play them on bandcamp web.
I have bought and downloaded files from bandcamp. They can be played anywhere without restrictions.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Qobuz says it doesn't do business in Croatia, but I suspect this is only for streaming. It shouldn't matter for buying files. I'll have to try.
they're pretty tigha**ed, only doing bussines in a few countries which was the main reason i lost interest in them (not a fan of even trying VPN's tho, tbh)

Frank2

they're pretty tigha**ed, only doing bussines in a few countries which was the main reason i lost interest in them (not a fan of even trying VPN's tho, tbh)
Just be patient:
Wikipedia:
Qobuz launched in eight European countries in 2014: United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg and the Netherlands then, in 2017, in Spain and Italy.[16] In 2019, Qobuz became available in the United States after opening a US headquarters in 2018.[17]

In 2021, Qobuz was made available in six new countries: Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Australia and New Zealand.[18] In 2022, Qobuz offered its service in six new countries: Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, and Portugal[19] and in 2023 it was launched in Canada.[20]
I guess they have to make legal arrangements per country and make sure they have enough server capacity as well.

Top Bottom