• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speakers are the Classical Music Pros using?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way the 8xx D4 series is about to be released, will be interesting to see in which direction its measurement will evolve as for example the D3 started a slight return trend to neutrality compared to the D2 and D.

I have just dipped into this thread after a long absence and I apologize in advance for not having read all entries in the thread. However, I have noted that B&W 800 series speakers are reported as showing up in control rooms, implying that they have some special quality missing in "non-classical" monitors. Sorry, but this is simply human nature at work. There are facts and there are opinions - the two frequently differ.

I cannot speak for the latest version of the 800 series, but in previous incarnations they have by measurement and by double-blind subjective testing been shown to be less-than-neutral sounding loudspeakers. They are not "bad" but they don't win double-blind listening tests. The most neutral, transparent, loudspeakers do, and this can be deduced from a comprehensive set of on- and off-axis anechoic measurements, especially if those data are presented in the spinorama format, which estimates the sounds arriving at a listener in an acoustically typical room.

B&W have done a superb job of marketing their product, and servicing customer needs, which are admirable traits. But if one is interested in hearing unadulterated, neutral, versions of the signals that were recorded, these speaker have not done it. Yet they have a following amongst some, not all, classical recording engineers. I have a theory which goes back to the analog-to-digital transition decades ago.

Long ago I had been using LPs as musical sources for listening tests in my research. I came to understand the medium extremely well, even to the point of creating test records to test the capabilities of the medium. It is sadly lacking - it is simply not possible to hear what was on the master tape when playing back an LP. It can be extremely pleasant if the music is to your liking but, objectively, the detailed sounds reaching your ears are not the sounds that were on the master tape.

At a point, through personal connections, I was able to acquire a PCM digital version of a master tape, and an analog duplicate at 15 ips. I also had the LP release of the music. I cannot recall what it was, but it was one of the "warhorse" symphonies, very popular and in a highly thought of rendering. The first thing that was clear in the simplest of listening comparisons was that the PCM version and the one-from-master tape versions were essentially identical. The LP version was very different. This is precisely as I had expected.

The monitor speakers used in the recording were B&Ws and I had anechoic chamber measurements of them. They exhibited much the same upper midrange dip in frequency response that is seen in recent 800 series monitors. In fact several of the less expensive B&W models at the time had similar characteristics, indicating that there was corporate performance target. People had thought about it and decided that flat was not ideal. Why?

In my double-blind listening tests of that period - and to this day - loudspeakers exhibiting flat, i.e. neutral, on-axis response and similarly smooth off axis behavior, were highly rated in most of the tests with most of the recorded music of the several genres that were auditioned. But, this particular recording, while being very enjoyable musically, was frequently judged to be somewhat too bright.

In the day, and now, recordings of classical orchestras were often made with microphones placed in elevated positions above the violins. These instruments radiate strong high frequencies upwards, not towards the audience in a concert hall. They are heard by the audience, but after reflection and reverberation in a physically large space - they add "air" to the illusion. The microphones were relatively close and in a position to collect more high frequency energy than is likely to be heard in the audience, certainly in the ground level seats. It turns out that loudspeakers with slightly attenuated upper-mid/lower highs sounded better. So, instead of listening to neutral monitors and adding a little EQ attenuation in the offending frequency range, they decided to listen to the flattering monitor speakers and leave the excessive highs in the recording.

In short, the non-flat loudspeakers were being used as a program equalizer, and the results would only be appreciated if customers had similarly non-flat loudspeakers. In my terms the "circle of confusion" would be eliminated, but only for recordings made using these monitors and for customers with similarly colored loudspeakers. In the real world this could not really work, because even at that time a flat axial frequency response was the normal target performance, albeit often violated in random ways. Now it is pretty much the norm, for those companies with the engineering competence to achieve it.

A feature of the 800 series not commonly appreciated is that its behavior is predictable from visual inspection. The midrange speaker is quite large, meaning that it is becoming significantly directional before it crosses over to the tweeter. When the tweeter comes on, it has wide dispersion which is enhanced by its unbaffled mounting, which aggravates the problem. Today, it is becoming common to see tweeters on baffles with waveguides to improve the directivity match with the midrange speaker at the crossover frequency - thereby achieving what is widely regarded as a desirably smooth directivity index as a function of frequency.

I am confident that the B&W engineers know all of this, but by now the 800 has achieved a certain status among consumers and professionals and the attractive physical form and appearance are iconic symbols. Sadly they make good acoustical design very challenging. Wise studios would have an alternative, neutral loudspeaker, to audition as well, and many do.

So, is the appearance of this speaker in recording studios a validation of its acoustical excellence and neutrality? No.

Spinorama data on this and many other loudspeakers can be found on the internet, in my two books, and AES papers by Dr. Sean Olive.

Very clear answer, thanks for this comprehensive explanation!

@Floyd Toole
I understand that these manufacturers are not non-profit organizations but I used to have a big dislike for B&W, not in the least because in Belgium they were forced upon you in almost every hifi shop there was.

Although I have to say that the latest generation 800, the D3, is the first B&W speaker I would ever want and love to own.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OK - ancient history:

In the mid 70's my friend, Randy Readon of Palm Beach Acoustic Fidelity and I recorded the Oberlin College Choir in the Palm Beach Episcopal Church. We used a pair of classic RCA ribbon mics in the Blumlein configuration, going in to a RxR Technics 1500 deck at 15 ips. The results were fantastic... so much so that when the Choir director listened to them on my home system (Levinson HQD with Cary 805s) he asked to use my tapes for their annual vinyl recording.

Sadly, the sending of the tapes back and forth destroyed the tapes :-(

In addition, the recording engineers, for some unknown reason, f*cked up the compression on the disc and lost much of the original magic.

I am going to try to find my original vinyl... I have relocated many times since making the recording, so finding it now is going to be a chore. If I succeed, I will get it digitalized and post it to the forum.

Tillman

gsp1971

Forum Donor
I have just dipped into this thread after a long absence and I apologize in advance for not having read all entries in the thread. However, I have noted that B&W 800 series speakers are reported as showing up in control rooms, implying that they have some special quality missing in "non-classical" monitors. Sorry, but this is simply human nature at work. There are facts and there are opinions - the two frequently differ.

I cannot speak for the latest version of the 800 series, but in previous incarnations they have by measurement and by double-blind subjective testing been shown to be less-than-neutral sounding loudspeakers. They are not "bad" but they don't win double-blind listening tests. The most neutral, transparent, loudspeakers do, and this can be deduced from a comprehensive set of on- and off-axis anechoic measurements, especially if those data are presented in the spinorama format, which estimates the sounds arriving at a listener in an acoustically typical room.

B&W have done a superb job of marketing their product, and servicing customer needs, which are admirable traits. But if one is interested in hearing unadulterated, neutral, versions of the signals that were recorded, these speaker have not done it. Yet they have a following amongst some, not all, classical recording engineers. I have a theory which goes back to the analog-to-digital transition decades ago.

Long ago I had been using LPs as musical sources for listening tests in my research. I came to understand the medium extremely well, even to the point of creating test records to test the capabilities of the medium. It is sadly lacking - it is simply not possible to hear what was on the master tape when playing back an LP. It can be extremely pleasant if the music is to your liking but, objectively, the detailed sounds reaching your ears are not the sounds that were on the master tape.

At a point, through personal connections, I was able to acquire a PCM digital version of a master tape, and an analog duplicate at 15 ips. I also had the LP release of the music. I cannot recall what it was, but it was one of the "warhorse" symphonies, very popular and in a highly thought of rendering. The first thing that was clear in the simplest of listening comparisons was that the PCM version and the one-from-master tape versions were essentially identical. The LP version was very different. This is precisely as I had expected.

The monitor speakers used in the recording were B&Ws and I had anechoic chamber measurements of them. They exhibited much the same upper midrange dip in frequency response that is seen in recent 800 series monitors. In fact several of the less expensive B&W models at the time had similar characteristics, indicating that there was corporate performance target. People had thought about it and decided that flat was not ideal. Why?

In my double-blind listening tests of that period - and to this day - loudspeakers exhibiting flat, i.e. neutral, on-axis response and similarly smooth off axis behavior, were highly rated in most of the tests with most of the recorded music of the several genres that were auditioned. But, this particular recording, while being very enjoyable musically, was frequently judged to be somewhat too bright.

In the day, and now, recordings of classical orchestras were often made with microphones placed in elevated positions above the violins. These instruments radiate strong high frequencies upwards, not towards the audience in a concert hall. They are heard by the audience, but after reflection and reverberation in a physically large space - they add "air" to the illusion. The microphones were relatively close and in a position to collect more high frequency energy than is likely to be heard in the audience, certainly in the ground level seats. It turns out that loudspeakers with slightly attenuated upper-mid/lower highs sounded better. So, instead of listening to neutral monitors and adding a little EQ attenuation in the offending frequency range, they decided to listen to the flattering monitor speakers and leave the excessive highs in the recording.

In short, the non-flat loudspeakers were being used as a program equalizer, and the results would only be appreciated if customers had similarly non-flat loudspeakers. In my terms the "circle of confusion" would be eliminated, but only for recordings made using these monitors and for customers with similarly colored loudspeakers. In the real world this could not really work, because even at that time a flat axial frequency response was the normal target performance, albeit often violated in random ways. Now it is pretty much the norm, for those companies with the engineering competence to achieve it.

A feature of the 800 series not commonly appreciated is that its behavior is predictable from visual inspection. The midrange speaker is quite large, meaning that it is becoming significantly directional before it crosses over to the tweeter. When the tweeter comes on, it has wide dispersion which is enhanced by its unbaffled mounting, which aggravates the problem. Today, it is becoming common to see tweeters on baffles with waveguides to improve the directivity match with the midrange speaker at the crossover frequency - thereby achieving what is widely regarded as a desirably smooth directivity index as a function of frequency.

I am confident that the B&W engineers know all of this, but by now the 800 has achieved a certain status among consumers and professionals and the attractive physical form and appearance are iconic symbols. Sadly they make good acoustical design very challenging. Wise studios would have an alternative, neutral loudspeaker, to audition as well, and many do.

So, is the appearance of this speaker in recording studios a validation of its acoustical excellence and neutrality? No.

Spinorama data on this and many other loudspeakers can be found on the internet, in my two books, and AES papers by Dr. Sean Olive.
God bless. Enough said.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Yes, it's become a religion. Two, actually: the Objectivists and the Subjectivists.
Yes, that dilemma pops up in almost every ASR thread, yet I still fail to fully understand it.

In every aspect of life, we (humans) observe, record, and measure everything around us - medicine, finance, business, economics, population, nature, weather, you name it, we measure it. Gosh I am sure someone out there has measured how many times a minute a bat blinks.

It is human nature. We want to measure, analyze, understand, control, and to an extent predict things in all aspects of life.

Why not audio? Why is audio different than any other science / hobby / aspect of human life?

We believe the weather forecast.
We believe the latest GDP / unemployment / jobless figures.
We believe the consumption / acceleration / top speed figures of our car.
Heck, we even believe our zodiac sign prediction for the day.

But we absolutely refuse to believe a spinorama chart.

Go figure ...

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor
Yes, that dilemma pops up in almost every ASR thread, yet I still fail to fully understand it.

In every aspect of life, we (humans) observe, record, and measure everything around us - medicine, finance, business, economics, population, nature, weather, you name it, we measure it. Gosh I am sure someone out there has measured how many times a minute a bat blinks.

It is human nature. We want to measure, analyze, understand, control, and to an extent predict things in all aspects of life.

Why not audio? Why is audio different than any other science / hobby / aspect of human life?

We believe the weather forecast.
We believe the latest GDP / unemployment / jobless figures.
We believe the consumption / acceleration / top speed figures of our car.
Heck, we even believe our zodiac sign prediction for the day.

But we absolutely refuse to believe a spinorama chart.

Go figure ...

I absolutely refuse to believe. I am an atheist both in audio and in "real life".

The Spinorama expresses both measured as well as predicted on- and off-axis frequency response (tonal balance).
By itself it is insuficient for the characterisation of a speaker's performance, which is why we need harmonic and intermodulation and decay plots and measurements of the individual drivers and the ports.

But measurements are not enough to determine whether or not we like how a speaker sounds so we need to listen*. Ideally a speaker should have no sound but that is not possible, just as stereo (2- or multi-channel) is unable to reproduce the original soundfield if it was ever captured (it hardly ever is with studio recordings). So one listens, and then, depending on one's preference, one decides which model provides the most enjoyment. That's what the hobby is about, enjoying how one's preferred music and, sometimes, also the experimenting and the box swapping.

* - one can claim that even a full set of measurements is insuficient to fully characterise performance and that it must be complemented by an objective or critical listening assessment

steve59

Major Contributor
Wasn't the fletcher munson curve established because the middle fq's are where our ears are most sensitive? maybe single speaker testing doesn't exaggerate those fq's like multiple speakers in the room do. I have a pair of VA's that measure like an earthquake yet make specific recordings sound magical. The discussion then becomes do you want speakers that make your entire collection sound decent or a pair of speakers that makes 20-30% of your collection sound ''MAGICAL'' ? I think just maybe this is where the subjectivist and objectivist butt heads. Just a thought.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Wasn't the fletcher munson curve established because the middle fq's are where our ears are most sensitive? maybe single speaker testing doesn't exaggerate those fq's like multiple speakers in the room do. I have a pair of VA's that measure like an earthquake yet make specific recordings sound magical. The discussion then becomes do you want speakers that make your entire collection sound decent or a pair of speakers that makes 20-30% of your collection sound ''MAGICAL'' ? I think just maybe this is where the subjectivist and objectivist butt heads. Just a thought.
I want a pair of speakers that make a CD sound exactly like what is on that CD.

Leporello

* - one can claim that even a full set of measurements is insuficient to fully characterise performance and that it must be complemented by an objective or critical listening assessment
Even if this were true (it might be), it does not follow that it is all about personal preferences then. Your definition of this hobby is far from being universally accepted.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most professional musicians aren't audiophiles. They're usually happy to listen to music on most devices. It's the melody, harmony and counterpoint they are listening for - not the fidelity. They hear live music most days and don't expect a speaker to sound the same. If they make a big purchase it's usually on high quality instruments.

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor

Back in the mid '70s one of the BBC Research Department engineers sugested, in a piece for Wireless World, that a dip in the presence region made the reproduction of orchestral music mic feeds sound subjectively more realistic. They should have known best since they had the orchestras to compare with the mic feeds.
Should such speakers be used for editing and mixing? My intuition tells me "no" but I am not an expert nor an engineer.

vIIC4gz.jpg

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Most professional musicians aren't audiophiles. They're usually happy to listen to music on most devices. It's the melody, harmony and counterpoint they are listening for - not the fidelity. They hear live music most days and don't expect a speaker to sound the same. If they make a big purchase it's usually on high quality instruments.
Pascal Dusapin use or used martin Logan sequel with mit cable.
In stereophile it was a time you could read review about musicians audiophiles.
99% of the planet are not audiophile. The musicians are like the rest of the population.
In studio, the audiophile have invaded the business.
https://gearspace.com/board/mastering-forum/1121817-interconnect-cables-what-do-you-use.html
Much music lovers are not audiophile....

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But measurements are not enough to determine whether or not we like how a speaker sounds so we need to listen*. Ideally a speaker should have no sound but that is not possible, just as stereo (2- or multi-channel) is unable to reproduce the original soundfield if it was ever captured (it hardly ever is with studio recordings). So one listens, and then, depending on one's preference, one decides which model provides the most enjoyment. That's what the hobby is about, enjoying how one's preferred music and, sometimes, also the experimenting and the box swapping.

That's something I've decided is not for me, it's not the way I buy loudspeakers. I don't buy for maximum enjoyment, I buy for maximum accuracy, then it's down to me to get used to the sound, not the other way round. I accept that it's a judgement as to what actually constitutes accuracy in the face of competing imperfections, but I start with a wide and flat on-axis anechoic response, then look at distortion and off-axis response.
Whatever looks best at that point is good enough. If I don't like it that's my problem, not that of the loudspeakers, so it's my job to get to like it.
After that, it's much more important how well they're made and how they look, as I'll be looking at them for a lot longer than I'll be listening to them.

S.

Floyd Toole

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Back in the mid '70s one of the BBC Research Department engineers sugested, in a piece for Wireless World, that a dip in the presence region made the reproduction of orchestral music mic feeds sound subjectively more realistic. They should have known best since they had the orchestras to compare with the mic feeds.
Should such speakers be used for editing and mixing? My intuition tells me "no" but I am not an expert nor an engineer.

vIIC4gz.jpg

Of course you are right about using such speakers for editing and mixing. It assumes that all your listeners have similar (flawed) loudspeakers. This is the basis of the "circle of confusion" noted early in my books. From the beginning of audio a flat on axis curve was the target of rational minds, including the BBC. It was not always achieved because of technical limitations. These days it is increasingly normal to see flattish on-axis (direct sound) performance, sometimes impressively so. All of my research, starting about 50 years ago shows that in double blind tests, listening to a variety of commercial recordings, listeners clearly preferred flat direct sound = flat on-axis response. If one has a master tape that benefits from a 2 dB dip in the 1 to 3 kHz range (or indeed any other modification to frequency response) do it with an electronic equalizer and make it a part of the master recording. DON'T use monitor loudspeakers as equalizers! It is illogical. The monitor loudspeakers must be timbrally neutral. Recordings being mixed may not be neutral because of microphone choice or location with respect to the source.

The BBC goofed, but because of accumulated respect, it became "the word of god" to many. Pity.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It's fascinating to hear this from an expert regarding commonly used B&W mastering speakers.

As a Classical listener it has been very clear to me for decades that many recordings are simply too bright versus what one is every likely to hear in the concert hall. Coming from Dr. Toole this brilliantly elucidates the likely cause of my impression. Although the phenomenon is very clear in case so many Classical recordings I don't doubt it is true for other genres as well.

Maybe it is reason why I wonder for so long why recording engineers, (with exceptions of course), haven't figured out how to make better sounding recordings? I wonder too if this is the reason that some EQ roll-off of the highs is recommended by my many sources? To speculate further, I wonder if it isn't the reason that many audiophiles like tube amps that tend to caramel-coat sound with soothing 2nd order distortion?

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor
The BBC goofed, but because of accumulated respect, it became "the word of god" to many. Pity.

I don't think that is a fair criticism since none of their designs is but flat on axis:

ScggvGI.png

LS3/4

6Oz3tsP.png

LS3/5a

3FuoiI1.png

LS3/6

JOwpwtX.png

LS5/8

bNxI0JY.png

LS5/9

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

There's a lot of unexamined assumptions on this subject. The "BBC dip" was not a goof. It was never a design goal. It was a user-demanded post-design tweak only for location monitors used in cramped and narrow trucks. Their studio-based recordings used monitors designed to be flat.

Its persistence later might have been because it worked well in small UK rooms, or because the rest of the presentation was better than other contemporary offerings. To call a very effective case-specific adjustment in a tiny part of a huge and innovative organization a "goof" isn't fair or accurate.

Floyd Toole

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I don't think that is a fair criticism since none of their designs is but flat on axis:

ScggvGI.png

LS3/4

6Oz3tsP.png

LS3/5a

3FuoiI1.png

LS3/6

JOwpwtX.png

LS5/8

bNxI0JY.png

LS5/9

I have read the BBC research reports describing their philosophy and monitors and you are right about them aiming for flat on-axis responses. I have measured several BBC designs and all I can say is that their licensees did an inconsistent job of quality control. Every version of the three LS3/5a that I tested was really a different loudspeaker and one of them was truly not very good. Production variations in the drivers, especially the B110 was the dominant culprit. Figure 18.3(f) in the 3rd edition of my book shows one of them. It is worth noting that the off-axis data in the BBC report stops at 45 deg off axis. As we now know, early reflections are significant factors in how loudspeakers sound in typically reflective rooms and these occur at larger off-axis angles. They seemed to be most interested in what off-axis listeners heard as direct sound - logical in the small, very "dead" broadcast/recording rooms that Harwood showed to me when I visited. In domestic rooms the 60 deg (or more) off axis data is important to anticipate early reflections, and it is not exemplary. It is even worse in the LS5/8 shown in Figure 18.5(f).

The BBC guidance had effects in the British loudspeaker industry. My friend Laurie Fincham, ex chief engineer at KEF (who provided drivers for the LS3/5a), told me that focusing on the on-axis/direct sound was the rationale behind the KEF 105.2 design shown in Figure 5.4 in the 3rd edition. It was scrupulously flat on axis - no BBC dip - but off axis the energy dip was evident, and it was audible in normally reflective listening rooms, leading to reduced sound quality ratings in my double-blind tests - not bad, but not as good as it could have been.

I absolutely agree, and said in my comment, that the BBC was a "rational mind" in aiming for a flat axial response. But Harwood said what he said when he said it. I saw references in this thread to speakers designed to follow that lead - with the "BBC dip". So, why did he say what he said, if it was not a suggestion to implement it in speaker designs along with "other such tricks" to follow. Notions of the "BBC dip" would not exist if people did not pick up on his statement, and think that it was, at least in some situations, a virtue. I am simply stating my opinion that it is the wrong way to implement a timbral correction to obtain satisfactory sound in a monitoring situation. Let the chips fall where they may . . .

Top Bottom