• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where to go from here?

Hi all.
My current setup for TV and music is an NVIDIA shield connected via HDMI to the TV then via optical to the Fosi Q4 DAC and Fosi BT20A pro that connects to a pair of old and trusty B&W DM302 speakers.

I'd like to take the next step in improving my setup, but I'm mindful of the law of diminishing returns (to get the last 10% gains, you need to spend exponentially more, where it no longer makes sense, to me)

So, what can I do to jump to the next step of accuracy in a way I can hear, without spending unnecessarily for top of the line gear?

I managed to get frequency charts for the DM302s if that matters

Thanks in advance

PS: I have a Jamo sub with a blown power supply that I could repair and reuse somehow if needed, I also have a B&W CC3 centre channel, but I don't think I can do much with it without an AVR and that might not be worth the expense, since I'm not much into full surround sound.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So, what can I do to jump to the next step of accuracy in a way I can hear, without spending unnecessarily for top of the line gear?

Welcome!

First suggestion is to learn to use some free software with a calibrated microphone to take some measurements, so you can learn more about arguably the most important part of the reproduction chain, the speaker/room system.

Being able to see the frequency response in your room will open up a whole new world of awareness.

OP
D
Welcome!

First suggestion is to learn to use some free software with a calibrated microphone to take some measurements, so you can learn more about arguably the most important part of the reproduction chain, the speaker/room system.

Being able to see the frequency response in your room will open up a whole new world of awareness.

Thanks woody, great idea, I might have some questions later about how to approach it all.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks woody, great idea, I might have some questions later about how to approach it all.
In my last place, I had a setup very similar to yours, down to the Shield, questionable sub, and old B&W speakers...

In my setup, I ran the TV's optical out, to a Creative G3 (which has optical in) to a cheap mini-PC (refurbished Lenovo Thinkcentre for about $100) which was running Windows and EQAPO. From there, just out to the DAC via USB as before.

This gave me the ability to run as many bands of PEQ as I needed to correct the bass for not too much money.

If you have a budget of more than $150 (+ UMIK) though, I'd upgrade the speakers also. They've got some pretty objectionable resonances and really funky dispersion pattern. Something like the Elac DBR62 or even JBL 308p will give you a nice upgrade at a moderate cost. IMO you are not at the point of grinding out the last 10% yet, maybe more like the last 30-40%. ;)

The good news about 90s-2000s B&Ws is they tend to hold their value reasonably well due to name recognition. So you can probably get a few bucks for them if you decide to upgrade.

Top Bottom