• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speakers are the Classical Music Pros using?

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor
Posted in wrong thread.

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@tuga has already posted the BSO control room in post 58. I need to post something new :D
Here is another from WSDG — the Ellis Marsalis Center for Music in New Orleans. Speakers are JBL M2.
https://wsdg.com/projects-items/ellis-marsalis-center-for-music-emcm/

7-EMCM-CR-2.jpg

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can you support that claim?

One smaller independent label owner was approached about using B&W speakers and getting paid for a promotional piece about them. I don't think they were paying a "salary" on them per say but offering the speakers for use along with the payment for the promotion.

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor
One smaller independent label owner was approached about using B&W speakers and getting paid for a promotional piece about them. I don't think they were paying a "salary" on them per say but offering the speakers for use along with the payment for the promotion.

Small sample. I presume that at least you've learned of this information first hand.

(mind you I've heard the same but it was just people speculating)

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor
Toole on why classical music studios prefer B&W speakers. Answer: the BBC dip?

In sound reproduction the final performance occurs in a recording control room or mastering room, both of which are dimensionally similar to domestic listening spaces.
Control rooms, by tradition, can be quite dead, but mastering rooms should be closer to typical playback environments, otherwise the "circle of confusion" becomes a factor - and that assumes that all parties employ timbrally neutral loudspeakers, which is not at all certain.
Equalization is part of that process. I agree that close mic'ed recordings can be problems, and if they are, it is an indication of differing tastes (or hearing performance) between the recording staff and the listener, or, equally likely, monitoring through spectrally colored loudspeakers - compensating errors.
Excessive brightness may also be the result of non-optimum mic placement.
This happens in concert performances with elevated mics picking up more high frequencies from violins than is heard in the audience.
There is a loudspeaker that is preferred for "classical" recordings by some experienced recording engineers - it has a sagging frequency response in the upper midrange/lower treble and makes the strings sound more natural.
This is a case of the monitor loudspeaker being deliberately incorporated into the recording - dumb.
Listeners will not hear what they heard unless they have the same idiosyncratic loudspeakers.

Igor Kirkwood

Even with Manfred Eicher ?:)
Sorry blavlf I miss your question ! on Manfred Eicher director of ECM Records .
I recorded only 3 CD's for ECM records with Vox Clamentis the Estonian Choir .
The condition of recording in Europe are difficult, and I agree with Vox Clamantis to wait they find a label to be paid (in first I receive only the plane ticket for me and material and for hotel).
Manfred Eichter agree first Arvo Pärt composer and Vox Clamentis Choir and in second the Church of Transfiguration of Tallin and my sound work . But he din't choise the recording place but he was OK for.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
This has been such a fascinating thread. Many thanks to all of the contributors. Am now listening to @Igor Kirkwood's Paert recording. Wonderful. Looks like I might have to save up for some big B&Ws.

Last edited:

bavlf

Igor, j'ai un amour pour vos réalisations chez Calliope: tellement "évidentes", je ne puis pas mieux dire:)

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
You show here lots of Recording Studios

But what happens for record in Churchs ?

On this photo you can see one of my recording place in a church of Tallin in Estonia. (with only 2 microphones Neumann TLM 50)

I record here for ECM Record (in 2016) the CD "deer's cry" with the composer Arvo Pärt and Vox Clamentis singers.

The monitoring of this Arvo Pärt CD was on phones in the church and with my loudspeaker .... in France !

View attachment 55905View attachment 55908

Brilliant recoding! Thank you!

Tillman

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Nice bavlf :)

For Thanks my best recording of Medieval Music is forView attachment 77165 "Calliope_"

The sound of la Chapelle de la Sainte Famille in Amiens (France) is fantastic ; of course 2 TLM 50 Neumann microphones only, no DSP .

where do I purchase this music? I downloaded the Deers Cry but this piece is not there.

Tillman

Top Bottom