• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I took the question as what musicians I would have liked to not have died young and continued to give us their talent for years to come. For me: Jimi Hendrix, Nick Drake, Sandy Denny, Janis Joplin, and Warren Zevon top the list.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Bernard Herrmann, Alex North, Jerry Goldsmith.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
The singer I miss the most? My Granny! Hands down and somebody already beat me to Jimi Hendrix, and Merle Haggard I'm sure.
27 years old for Jimi Hendrix. Man they were young. The 27s all of them and add Janis Joplin and Mama Cass. Cass Elliot had some
of the smoothest pipes on the planet. I listened to her on a 33 two days ago along with the 5th Dimension, Sly and the Family Stone,
Tower of Power, Graham Central Station, Al Green and of course James Brown.

I'd listen to Janis but the recording are so F*^$ed up, I have to be in the mood, to put up with them. She had some crazy blues thing
bread into her, but the recording I have are just horrible to say the least.

Actually I miss Loretta Lynn, June Carter/Johnny Cash and just Johnny Cash. Come to think of it, Donna Summers too. Everybody
misses Michel and Prince. Prince was one of the best large shows I ever saw. Oakland Coliseum on a T stage. The master entertainer for sure.

The Big Bopper. Chantilly Lace, why not?

Regards

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Pete Namlook... Electronic musician/composer/producer, founder of FAX record label and artist incubator. That last is a main reason I was drawn to his music; working with new musicians and helping to get their names and music out in the world.

Lots of great musicians that have passed and who I wish were still with us, but so many went hard the way they lived (suicide or OD)... and others that passed due to having simply lived a long full life.
It's always sad and sometimes even shattering. I was too young to understand when Miles Davis died, for example. But others, yeah...

MCH

Major Contributor
Of them all, I always wonder what Hendrix would have done.
I think he didn't really like his Experience albums, and his later work with Buddy Miles is amazing. The projects with Miles Davis that never happened, the 70s kicking in.... Most interesting stuff, but I have the impression that it would be music his average Experience fan would not like

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Klaus Schulze without a doubt. Unlike most of his generation musicians he was creative and innovative all the way until his passing away two years ago.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Arturo Toscanini
Anything he ever recorded - I was in Alpine, Texas with my mother, who was attending Sul Ross State Teachers College, when I heard the news of his passing. I recall telling her the news when she returned from class, tears in my eyes. I was a fan of the Hugh Lampman “Music ‘till Dawn” program out of Dallas, Texas; that program provided me with the foundation of my taste in music to this very day.

Glenn Miller
’String of Pearls’ still great music, even today!

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Jules de Corte.

This is just one of the thousands songs he wrote. I hope the clip conveys some of his art.

First there is a little chit chat with the host stating how big a fan he is, and asking Jules to play a track from his latest release. Skip to 0:50 where Jules says so this is a little Christmas song and starts playing.

I've asked GPT4 to translate the lyrics.

We gathered together in our overflowing churches,
to celebrate the feast of divine light.
Peace and tranquility radiated from every face,
and nothing of the daily grind was to be seen.

While we sang the age-old familiar songs,
of silent night and the shepherds in the field.
A policeman reported at his office,
someone has hanged himself in the city park.

Description: normal build, sound of limb,
just a person like you and me and everyone.
Perhaps only unspeakably alone,
without faith in God, angels and peace.

He may have heard the bells singing,
he may have stood still for a while.
When he saw people pass through the holy night,
they were all just strangers to him.

For in the world, there is little to be seen
of the presence of the kingdom of God.
That's why Jesus is always born in a cave,
while we sing behind tightly closed doors.

Not sure how 'unspeakably alone' works in English. But in Dutch I feel it's one of these beautifully poetic Jules de Corte touches.

radix

Major Contributor
Stephen Luck Mosko
Mia Zapata

fatoldgit

Hound Dog Taylor (aka Theodore Roosevelt "Hound Dog" Taylor)

1713942526411.png

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

and so with that, I would Amy Winehouse

she had a lot more than 2 albums in her

also 27 y.o?
She was my first thought.

I first saw her when she performed on a talk show (Russell Brand in 2006). She stood there alone, with minimal backing piano music, and just quietly blew me away.

Less than 5 years later she was dead. Another artist abused and taken advantage of by those who should have been protecting her.

Such a tragedy. Such a waste.

Also Freddy Mercury, John Lennon, Sinéad O'Connor, Prince, David Bowie.

(I'm not including any artists I didn't listen to when alive)

Last edited:
Top Bottom