• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The folly of seeking the perfect speaker.

kelesh

Oh, yes, they can.
:)

I look for loudspeakers that are perfect for me -- even then, one of the qualifiers is "perfect for me at a realistically affordable price".
I could spend, say, $50k for a pair of loudspeakers, but I won't.
Heck, I won't spend $50k for an automobile.
Why not? It's a matter of priorities, and speakers are a lot more important than automobiles Not that I have that kind of speakers.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Why not? It's a matter of priorities, and speakers are a lot more important than automobiles Not that I have that kind of speakers.

It's an interesting assumption/statement of priorities when people complain about speakers costing as much as a car. As it happens my main speakers and my car cost me very close to the same price. Conventionally speaking I guess I have a cheap car and expensive speakers, but both do the job at a level I enjoy. And both were used when I bought them, I prefer others to pay the initial depreciation.

kelesh

Some good points. I guess it's priorities again, but when it comes to "mission critical" audio gear, I can't bring myself to buy used. No logical reason, preference, I imagine. No problem with used cars :) That said, I'm sometimes tempted, as there are many folks who replace gear often and you can certainly find great deals.

Going back to the perfect speaker, it would probably have to be something custom designed and fitted into a specific listening space, much like they do in recording studios. I've started reading books on loudspeaker design and it is fascinating, though it can get really complex once you get into the "architectural acoustics" realm.

Sokel

Master Contributor
For me the perfect way (and no speaker alone) would be a way for sound to follow you around,at least in the two dimensions (and I don't mean like the omni,I have heard some and it's strange,I mean the exact focus stereo has at the MLP) ,like the air conditioners do these days,they detect their RC and adjust.

How?I don't care,that's an engineering task :p

Now speakers,the only meaningful,big difference that I have seen all the time I listen is size,everything else is pretty much the same the next day and with RC (and I don't mean going from 6.5" to 8"or from 70 liters to 90) .

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Some good points. I guess it's priorities again, but when it comes to "mission critical" audio gear, I can't bring myself to buy used. No logical reason, preference, I imagine. No problem with used cars :) That said, I'm sometimes tempted, as there are many folks who replace gear often and you can certainly find great deals.

Mine were more expensive than I'd likely buy new, and a trade-in by someone who turns their speakers over a couple of times a year. I basically walked in intending to buy subwoofers for my speakers, and walked out (after a couple hours listening) after making an offer for the speakers I have now.

Going back to the perfect speaker, it would probably have to be something custom designed and fitted into a specific listening space, much like they do in recording studios. I've started reading books on loudspeaker design and it is fascinating, though it can get really complex once you get into the "architectural acoustics" realm.

It sure can. A custom-built room and a studio installation would be a great way to go, given an unconstrained budget.

For me the perfect way (and no speaker alone) would be a way for sound to follow you around,at least in the two dimensions (and I don't mean like the omni,I have heard some and it's strange,I mean the exact focus stereo has at the MLP) ,like the air conditioners do these days,they detect their RC and adjust.

How? I don't care,that's an engineering task :p

Great idea. I can easily imagine B&O 90 with automatic steering, targeted by LiDAR. Assuming Apple and B&O managed an unlikely but simpatico collaboration.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
my main speakers and my car cost me very close to the same price
My speakers cost a bit more for the raw drivers and materials. I guess that means I fit right in at ASR :D

Top Bottom