• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
how far away is the m500 I am having an existential crisis wrt m500 or su-8 to save a few bucks
I have not had any updates so don't quite know. I was told it would be sent after the China national holiday which I think came to an end.

Rem

Ifi Zen Dac

Possibly one of the lower priced desktop dac/amp balanced solutions to be released some time this month.

For some reason they didn't include a wall wart but they recommended the iFi iPower which is like $50.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Ifi Zen Dac

Possibly one of the lower priced desktop dac/amp balanced solutions to be released some time this month.
was curious, asked iFi and there's an ESS9023 chip inside btw.

Veri

Master Contributor
No, it’s a Burr Brown.
No, it's an ESS Sabre, namely the 9023 variant in the Zen DAC, as in the product spec, and as confirmed by them via mail...
Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 09.28.31.jpg

Kane1972

I thought the Zen Blue has the ESS and the Zen had the Burr Brown. That’s what I read in a few places.

Kane1972

Just looked again and everyone is saying the Zen DAC is Burr Brown. The Zen DAC Blue is ESS.

bixbeed

Thank you Amir, I have learned a lot from reading your reviews and measurements and I appreciate all the work you are putting into this site.

I have been looking for a balanced DAC that doubles as a balanced preamp, and there aren't many options. The ELAC DDP-2 at 2.5k looks great on paper, and I think it might be a unique enough of a product to justify a review.

ELAC has been hiring some top engineers and making some seemingly great value products, Andrew Jones for speakers and Peter Madnick for DAC/amps/phono. I haven't had the chance to have a listen to any of their stuff yet, but I am very intrigued.

Not pretty, but the insides look great.

https://www.elac.com/product/ddp-2-preamplifier-dac-streamer/

antoramp

Sony TA-ZH1ES please :)

Top Bottom