• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you hear isn't always what you've got

5-pot-fan

Perhaps this is too trivial a post for this forum, of which I have read some topics and enjoyed the relatively well-mannered tone of discussion, but it is my first one, so here goes.

I know that my hearing is well past any golden age, but I like to tinker and see if I can obtain any enjoyable changes, as cheaply as possible, the latest such change being to install Moode in place of piCoreplayer on my Rpi4.

The first few hours listening did not seem to be worse than before, but listening again the following day I noticed that the sound balance gradually moved to the left. I adjusted the balance on the pre-amp rightwards a few times, more and more over about an hour. What was happening? Should I put piCoreplayer back?

Then I sneezed.

I had forgotten that I had a bad cold – and guess what? Yes, I had to move the balance back to neutral and all was 'normal' again.

Apart from gaining your sympathy I thought this might be of some interest after I had watched one of Amir's reviews, at the end of which he talked about how the mind can affect what we hear. Not just expectation bias but also 'inspection' bias – a point he explains well and which improved my own understanding of why I sometimes hear improvements (or think I do).

Anyway, I shall continue watching this forum and reading other people's more technical posts.

Moode 7.41 ->Rpi 4->Furutech ADLGT40a->Linn Kairn->Linn AV5125->Linn Katans

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I had forgotten that I had a bad cold – and guess what? Yes, I had to move the balance back to neutral and all was 'normal' again.

Welcome!

Top Bottom