• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Topping DX7Pro
UMIK1 (& REW free download)
'Hope' by Hugh Masekela in SACD (thanks to whomever it was that made that suggestion)
Trying to decide between Genelec models to attach to the Topping for a desktop setup - hoping for sale pricing...

Thanks to Amir and all the many knowledgeable contributors!

jhm

Forum Donor
Topping D90 and Topping A90 so far.

ASR has also given me peace of mind.

What I have now - the two Topping devices - are it as far as technical performance is concerned (any further improvement will be minimal/inaudible) and if I do upgrade in the future, it will be based on additional features I might want.

Based on conclusions I have reached from what I have read, I also know that (for example) 192kHz PCM, DSD, MQA and upsampling are not for me etc.

Thank you again to everyone on this forum for your advice and discussion!

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While he hasn’t reviewed the exact model I got, I absolutely purchased an Audiophonics stereo Purifi amp because of the tests Amir has run on similar Purifi based units (and because of the tests he ran on op amps showing no differences between them).

calvin tea

Topping D90 mqa and A90 so far. The previous survey list was Dx7 Pro, 887, 788, 789, smsl sp200, m200, m400, m500......end up decision made mainly base on amirm, wolfx700 and johnyang1997 review and comment

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Not audio related but thanks to a post by @Tks I bought a Raspberry Pi 4 and then installed and configured Pi-hole. It's awesome. Great way to cut out ads and increase privacy. And not just for surfing the web, it works on any device that is connected to your network.

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Topping DX3 Pro
Topping DX7 Pro
Topping D90
GESHELLI Erish

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
I have bought Focal 906 and Yamaha R-N803D based on positive opinions on forums, including this. It was just before they were tested on ASR.

But I would not like to make next purchase with out test on ASR. That got me thinking. if we would like to see one 2000$ amplifier tested, let's say 20 of us chip in give 100$. After the test is done, Amir sels the amplifier for 1500$. 20 of us get back 75% of our money back, if we do not wish to leave some as donation for effort. If it were to be sold for 1800$, we got 90% of our money back, So, we would be like holding company for this amplifier. Does this sounds realistic?

Hephaestus

Two pairs of Genelecs.

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
I build myself a nice set of Canare 4s11 speaker cables of 8m length. Amir tested these cables a while back and calculated that 8m runs are fine.
I love these new cables. Very good build quality.

laidick

Forum Donor
Directly:
Topping D70
SMSL M500
Meizhu dongle
Benchmark LA4
Benchmark AHB2
JDS Atom

Indirectly:
Apollon NS800L
Apollon NCMP8350
HD650 headphone
Lots of Canare cables.....

I think more importantly is, ASR helped us avoid buying lots of BS product from the market. We spend every penny worth measured with true value.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping e30...so far.
Looking to buy an atmos Avr next...

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping D50s
Topping DX3 Pro
SMSL M300 MKII
and of course....the A90.

I love me some Chi-Fi!

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a bit ashamed to admit that I bought nothing.

Wanted a JDS Labs Element II but the EU distributor went out of stock months ago.
Wanted a SMSL M200 but then it turned out they have "sound color" options. On a DAC o_O
Wanted a Denon x3600 but amazon screwed up my order and then went out of stock. Actually *really* glad about that now.
A new AVR is quite high on my buy-list but (still) haven't found a single one worth paying for.

I am starting to suspect a curse from all the ASR people I annoyed with my posts:D

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
This is what ASR made me do... I blame you all! ;-)

I bought:
1- RME adi-2 DAC v2 (I decided not to keep it and returned it)
2- Topping A90 pre/HP amp
3- Topping D90 MQA DAC
4- Hidizs S8 DAC/HP amp dongle
5- Schiit Modius DAC
6- Okto Research dac8 Stereo (waiting to be built and shipped)

I sold:
1- Schiit Yggdrasil v2 DAC
2- Schiit Bifrost v1 DAC (I was about to sell it before ASR anyway - but I sold it quicker to help finance the new purchases)
3- Schiit Fulla 2 DAC/pre/HP amp (my first Schiit ever bought years ago when it was released)
4- Schiit Jotunheim DAC/pre/HP amp

No regrets, I liked my Schiit gear, but ASR triggered a desire to validate high SINAD components and see how it translated to the home audio experience. So far so good, the only one purchase that didn’t work for me was the adi-2 v2 (I hear the v1 sounds better).

Last edited:
Top Bottom