• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AHB2 and DAC3HGC. Peter Aczel first clued me in to Benchmark some years ago--I'd never heard of them. The test results here along with the ASR member's secondary commentary convinced me to pull the trigger on the combo. I also have to recognize Stereophile's John Atkinson and Kalman Rubinson (who posts here) for their reviews of Benchmark gear.
My $800 (at the time) DAC1 convinced my to sell of my $25k analog rig.

BostonJack

Editor
Topping D10
Atom headphone amp.
Drop THX AAA 789
Drop HD650 version
Drop Hifiman. HE-4XX.

Contemplating the Elac DBR-62. or Neuman KH 120A . first is awfully tempting at $600 vs $1500, add in
an amp, and its closer to a $$ wash.

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
My list:

- Shiit Magni Heresy - I can’t really distinguish it from my Asus SupremeFX motherboard. I keep it because of the volume knob (and as a plus, it stacks beautifully on top of my Microsoft Surface docking station - same width).
- MiniDSP UMIK-1 mic - Still waiting for it to arrive
- Drop H6xx - Not tested here, but many reassuring comments helped.
- F. Toole, Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics... - Still reading...
- Sonos Amp (!!) - Even if the test comments were not very favourable, the digital input measurements seemed to be quite ok. I use this (my second) unit for my desktop (unusual, I know).
- I tested Roon - But finally decided not to continue. I fully exploit a Spotify family plan, and internal opposition would be harsh.

I’m now selecting bookshelves to upgrade my main music listening area (KEF R3? Elac DBR6.2? Burchardt S400? Revel M106? Focal Aria?). I’m not in a hurry ‘cos my current Canton speakers + JBL sub still sound pretty good to me.

johnk

So far I have bought ...
Apple USB-C dongle
Khadas Tone Board
Allo Boss

I'm really looking forward to reviews of stuff I own and hope measures well ...
Allo Volt +D (with Alitove 24V 5A PSU)
Allo Volt+

This forum is tempting me to buy ...
A calibrated microphone for room correction
New speakers (~$1500AUD budget)
A cost effective preamp to give me a physical volume control for my Tone Board

Thanks -J

Vantavimeow

Topping D10
Topping D50S
JDS Labs Atom
Apple USB-C dongle

Topping A50S if it's even mildly better than the Atom across the board
Considered Wireworld Chroma 8 USB cable but seems silly even with semi proven additional EMI rejection
Tempted by HIDIZS S8 to upgrade from Apple dongle that lacks juice, 1V vs 2V uwu

WoodyLuvr

For me:
Khadas Tone Board
Meizu Hifi Pro
E1DA #9038d (awaiting)

For me daughter:
Apple USB-C Dongle
Topping NX4 DSD
E1DA #9038d (awaiting)

Reactions: PSO

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
I’ve bought some items, including a couple of Topping dacs and Revel M16 speakers, specifically due to ASR reviews. My Roon purchase was certainly influenced by ASR.
Also, the concepts of using DSP and subwoofers (if not the actual ones I’ve bought) have originated here.
Posts from @restorer-john and @Frank Dernie have confirmed my existing preference for old Japanese hifi/ direct drive turntables.

WoodyLuvr

That is not important.
It is only important if I listening to the Atom, can I hear great sounding music? Not. It is simple as that.
It is my subjective opinion.
Hey, no need to be so curt with me. You posted your findings and I genuinely was interested in what your current set-up is as a fellow audiophile. Simple as that. I believe you may have misunderstood me as there was absolutely no judgement nor criticism in either my initial response and reply to you... none what so ever. Why post on a forum if you are going to be impolite and defensive when someone simply communicates back with you?

Last edited:

WoodyLuvr

Loxjie P20
Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid
Ah, compared to tubes... totally concur. All about matching sometimes.

When I had my Sennheiser HD600s (circa 2006 until 2009/2010) I initially went through a lot of amps until I borrowed a friend's Lil' Dot Mk1 Tube Amp... wow! I ended up buying Little Dot's Micro Tube Hybrid Amp (the input stage was solid-state while the output stage was vacuum tube). It just seemed that "solid state" just didn't do it for me sound wise with those cans at all.

jeffbook

My system was pretty well set before I "discovered" ASR. It is Linkwitz speaker based. However, the items I have purchased based on Amir's work are a Topping D10 to use as an USB bridge to convert USB to TOSlink. This feeds my dual miniDSP 2x4HD units that act as crossover and EQ for the LXmini system. I also replaced my two ancient Adcom GFA-2535 amps that drove the LXmini/Orion combination with a Nord 8 channel nCore amp. Finally, I quickly sold a Dragonfly Black and it's buddy the Jitterbug and bought an Audioengine D3 from Drop for my "travel" system to use with Sennheisers cans and the laptop that feeds my main system. It is compact and "good enough" for the plane travel and casual listening when I travel (or used to travel anyway.....).

If I were to ever upgrade my 1080P home theater system to 4K, I would take a good look at the Denon AVR-X3600H receiver as it looks to be more than adequate for movies and streaming TV services. The Topping/miniDSP/Nord would still be used to drive the Linkwitz speakers in this application as the LF and LR speakers.

If I were to indulge in wretched excess, the Soncoz LA-QXD 1 along with a miniDSP nanoDIGI 2x8B would replace the miniDSP 2x4 units. However, the cost/benefit ratio for this upgrade casts some doubt on this one (my miniDSP units are dead quiet.....and I would need 3 Soncoz units)

Last edited:

Morla

Forum Donor
Just ordered "Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Amplifier Class D Stereo Purifi 2x400W 4 Ohm" because of what I read about purifi here.

Also considering SGD1 because of the review. Maybe next month.

Archsam

Matrix Audio Element X

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not a thing. I have enough HiFi equipment to fill several shops and several lifetimes.

This is our latest very expensive purchase. 8 weeks old Bernese Mountain Dog. Say hello to Bosley. (Boz/Boz Man/Mr B whatever)
View attachment 53000

Can we expect any measurements like sound pressure level and frequency response?

Top Bottom