• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

GeorgeBynum

I'm hard-of-hearing, worn hearing aids for about 20 years and needed them longer .... but was enamored by low-cost speaker tests ... just sprung for Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Pair) (Refurbished) for $95; direct from Pioneer via eBay.

What goes wrong with speakers that the factory would need to refurbish?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm hard-of-hearing, worn hearing aids for about 20 years and needed them longer .... but was enamored by low-cost speaker tests ... just sprung for Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Pair) (Refurbished) for $95; direct from Pioneer via eBay.

What goes wrong with speakers that the factory would need to refurbish?
Having previously been in the consumer electronics for ~24 years in various capacities I can honestly say that refurbished has become a term applied to anything requiring a repackage. The term is now overused and implies some sort of rebuild or repair was done when that is not the case in many situations if not most.

D

Deleted member 65

JDS Labs Atom for my son

Chromecast Audio (3)
Khadas Tone Board
Topping D50
RME ADI-2 DAC

May buy Purifi amp if I can find out dampingfactor.

Mocs123

Forum Donor
Emotiva XPS-1
Topping MX3
NAD T758 V3

I will eventually purchase a JDS Labs Atom and a Benchmark AHB2 unless something better comes around.

I thought the review of the NAD was pretty poor? So you bought it as a result of the review here? I will say it seems like it would be such a great unit with Dirac.

Mocs123

Forum Donor
I bought a JDS Labs Atom and Topping D10. I also have the JBL530's but I had them before the review.

doodlebro

I thought the review of the NAD was pretty poor? So you bought it as a result of the review here? I will say it seems like it would be such a great unit with Dirac.

The review shows the NAD is "poor" when you turn the volume knob past -6dB.

will.b

Forum Donor
I hold ASR fully responsible for my purchases of:

Topping DX7s and D50s;
SMSL M500 and SP200;
TCA HPA-1;
miniDSP DDRC-24

It is “highly likely” ASR will be liable for my future purchases of ELAC, March Audio, Topping and miniDSP equipment.

Scoundrels!

Reactions: PSO

Willem

Major Contributor
RME ADI-2 DAC fs, after also having read Archimago on his RME ADI-2 Pro fs ADC/DAC. I have no regrets whatsoever. I love the controls for tone, balance and dynamic loudness, and the filters. I am in fact using all of these.

Tim6622

That's me. Glad to do it.

I had replaced it with an ICEpower ICE125ASX2. And I forgot to mention in my post above. While the specific Chinese pre-built I bought was not measured by anyone, measurements at ASR of a couple of builds with that ICEpower module did persuade me to buy that amp. Guess I should have added it to my list in my previous post :)

Glad to see you have the same experience I did with my icepower amp purchase. It just made all other amplifiers (elac 101eq and a older Sony receiver) sound mediocre after the first test. Very noticeable and I purchased that based on Bang and Olufsens data sheet (not asr since the Icepower250a is not reviewed here). ASR reviews did push me to buy the smsl sk10 dac, LG v35 thinq, apple dongle, evga nu audio card, and fio D03K. ASR reviews also confirmed to me that one of my computers with a higher end mobo performed very good just using the on-board audio so a dac is not needed.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Because of ASR I bought a new mask.

dfuller

Major Contributor
RME ADI-2 Pro FS. Partially because of ASR, partially because I know of RME's fantastic windows driver situation.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Recently got a second hand RME ADI-2 DAC. Might well be too elaborate for me, it’ll certainly take me a while to figure it all out.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Bought nor sold anything electronic.
I guess I am happy with my gear as it is (on the electronics side)

Did buy/return/sell shitloads of headphones though. :eek:

Have to correct myself... recently bought an E30 based on measurements/reports on ASR.
Right price, right performance, right functionailty even has a remote I don't need.

Reactions: PSO

Newk Yuler

Geshelli DAC, Soekris DAC/Headamp, some other stuff. Not the best measuring hardware according to ASR but purchased with well considered compromises.

Because of ASR I've acquired a great deal more solitude because of having to tell my long time friendly acquaintances that they ignorantly bought hardware that buries their high resolution music in noise and distortion. The Coronavirus helped a lot. FWIW, one of them calls ASR "a cult" which doesn't help others' perspective of his character when he tells everyone that he's smarter than they are. If ASR is a cult, it's a cult of science, physics, and measurement which is pretty desirable and spot-on AFAIC. I'll also say one more time that I wish there was a place like ASR that applies ASR's kind of scrutiny to monotheistic religions.

My advice is to die before you get old because all your so-called important friends may become a lot more set in their ways and a lot less flexible and tolerant of everybody's differences. Because getting old is a time consuming pain in the ass that's not for p*ss**s that also seems to add up to less time for exhibiting mutual respect. Then they hunker down and stop talking to each other.

It appears that I found this thread at just the wrong time. But it does display an issue I'll bet other ASR members have discovered about watching others ignorantly buy into equipment when you know ASR shows they're investing in poorly measuring equipment. You apparently can't tell them they just ignorantly effed up without hurting their feelings. It's apparently worse when they're proud of the poor choice you know they made and brag about it to you while you stand there shaking your head and trying to decide if you're going to tell them what you know is real because Amir's APx555 has proved it.

ZeDestructor

THX 789, SDAC Balanced.

But the real one that for me is the confirmation that Genelec known how to make a really good, linear monitor that matches up to the datasheet and exposing how terrible AVRs/AVPs are. Put together, I've started looking into AVB/AES67/Dante for multichannel music and HT audio, since Genelec makes this - the 4420A PoE-powered, IP-enabled speaker. This is a much longer term projec that most though.

PS: If anyone is familar with AVB, AES67, Dante and/or other networked audio setups, do chime in.... I'd like some help ;)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hidizs S8.
I guess I have to add the RME ADI-2 DAC FS v2 to my list as the review definitely helped me consider it, along with the manufacturer reputation and other subjective reviews elsewhere.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SoundblasterX G6 DAC
JDS Labs Atom headphone amp
JBL 308p Mkii Speakers (on the strength of the 305p review)
Topping E30 DAC

and NAD Viso HP50 headphones, UMIK-1 mic for measuring for roomEQ, and miniDSP 2x4 as the result of some member discussions.

That's why this site is great....you can be sure about what you're buying!

Top Bottom