• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

batfunk

Hypex Nc400 amp:great
Topping dx7 pro:not great(subjectively, my speakers sounds flat with it, no punchy bass, even in headphone mode). Sold.
Smsl sp200 headphoneamp:great
(subjectively, exactly provides what was lacking with Dx7pro)
Smsl m200 dac:great(subjectively:see Sp200 notes :)). Thanks Wolf!

3 of 4 kept, not bad!

dgswim

Forum Donor
Did not Purchase
Marantz AV8805

Did Purchase
Emotiva XMC-1
Emotiva AMPs

Im sure I went against advice here if there was for the Klipsch RF-7 III and RC-64 III center. My wife saw the pretty copper color 10"s and with the money I had spent already felt I needed to give her a win.

Not sure if they are mentioned here or not, went with two PSA TV3612 subs. These are very modest subs but hope they can be sufficient lol

Did not purchase
Klipsch RP-600M for side and rear

Did purchase instead
Focal Aria 906 x 4 for surround speakers

I did not mind spending the money for the four Focal 906 speakers, the stands that go with them I have an issue with. Spending almost $800 for the four stands offends me. Any good advice on solid yet reasonable price stands for these? Im out on the $800!

Last edited:

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Before I discovered ASR, system was:

Linn LP12 + Ortofon VMS30 Mkii cart
Avid Pellar phono stage
Mac
RME ADI 2 Pro FS
Croft 25R valve pre
Croft 7R power amp
Proac 1SC speakers
Audioquest Dragonfly Red
Audioquest USB
Atlas interconnects
Van Damme speaker cable

Now it’s:
Same LP12 and cart
Avid Pellar (which I’ll be sending to Amir soon)
Mac
RME ADI-2 Pro FS
ATC SCM20ASL Mki
Printer USB cable
Cheap, quality, Neutrik-terminated XLR cables
HIDIZS S8

Total saving: £1950.

Though having read the damning ATC SCM19 review, I’m thinking the SCM20s will be next to go (bought second hand for a song so hopefully won’t lose anything). To be replaced either by Genelecs or Hypex NC400s and KEF R3s/Revel M106s - or another good active measured by Amir.

Like others here, ASR has completely changed how I see the audio industry and the magazine/manufacturer racket that’s ripped everyone off for so long. All I can hope is that there are enough subjectivists left out there for me to sell the ATCs before they’re worthless.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few DIY speakers obviously ;), but the first keeper will be a Topping E30 DAC. Eventually I expect to upgrade to a minidsp SHD or something comparable. I was thinking my first DAC would have balanced outputs, but could not get one for weeks. The E30 is due to arrive on Monday.

memphiskat

Topping D10. Next will probably be a JDS Labs Atom and a Class D (speaker) amp. And a new A/V receiver if a budget one ever tests well.

bogart

Forum Donor
Although I don't change gear terribly often, ASR has been surprisingly influential on me.

Did Purchase:
Klipsch Heritage DAC/Headphone Amp
Revel F206 Speakers
Denon X1600H Receiver (not directly reviewed, but Denon seemed less offensive than others!)

Kept:
Outlaw Audio M200 Amps

Sold/selling:
Totem Sttaf and Mite Center speakers

BillG

Major Contributor
Just bought my first AKM DAC chip (AK4499EQ) in a form of a DAP since ASR has influenced me to get a good performing DAC but I wanted a DAP instead. It has decent THD+N for a DAP at around 0.0005% or 106 dB SINAD but still falls short of good performing desktop DACs. I now have a total of 5 different DAC brands in my collection with AK4499EQ DAC chip leading the pack in performance :)
index.php

View attachment 53756

The two Campfire Audio's on either side I recognize, but what's the IEM in the center? :cool:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s the CA Vega IEM. Fun V-shaped sound and an excellent IEM for movie watching :)

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I only discovered ASR less than a year ago... I believe I got the Topping D10 and and Asus Xonar U7 mII shortly after (Amir was quite unhappy reviewing the latter -- and I understand why -- bought it anyway as it was on sale 2nd-hand for less than $100 CDN). Was very much worth the small investment as I learned quite a lot about basic mch audio playing with this damned imperfect little device -- after lots and lots of hair-pulling frustration, of course.

NDC

Discovered ASR quite recently - probably a month or two ago. In that time I read voraciously and lurked - mainly with the intent of assembling a great performance per dollar system through the knowledge I was gaining.

Ended up purchasing a Topping E30 and Geshelli Archel2 Pro, which is paired with Moondrop Starfields (very impressed with these) and Sennheiser HD58x. Now waiting for the Topping L30 to drop to pair with the Hifiman HE4xx that I've got on pre-order with Drop. Also have a MOTU M4 pre-ordered for my audio production/recording side-hobby.

A few years ago I had the Audeze LCD-2r2 with JDS Labs O2 Dac/Amp. And on the audio production side I used to have an Apogee Duet (the original version with firewire). I've always been measurements focused in my buying decisions but until now it's been so hard to find a trusted source/consistent methodology. So thanks Amir and co - it has really helped me enjoy audio again.

scribley0

ASR would have got the blame for me buying a Topping DX7 Pro if it hadn't turned out to be the most fantastic bit of kit. :)

My second DAC actually, (first was a Rasberry Pi hat from Fleabay) and now partnered very happily with a pair of JBL 306P Active Studio Monitors

Very satisfied and left wondering if I could actually hear the difference if I spent two to five times the budget ?

Thanks for being there, to everyone at ASR

Last edited:

pluplog

New here (after lurking for a while). I am on the look out for a DAC so I can finally play music from my desktop and was really impressed by the Topping E30 review, so I just bit the bullet on that. Great reviews, thanks!

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Beware Hi-Fi Heaven, they had a "Dealer" amp, didn't ship, didn't tell me anything, then I ask what's up and they say it's back-ordered? If it's a demo you would think they have it in house already, it wasn't a regular retail item. (Makes no sense) They were just going to keep me waiting like an idiot, let's see if it's a problem getting a refund.

typericey

• Topping D50 - 1st ASR influenced purchase, now sold
  • Topping D70 - for sale
  • Topping D90
  • Elac DBR-62
  • Hidizs S8
  • Blue Jeans speaker and XLR cables
  • Shakti Hallograph

I hope to own an AHB2 and Revel F208 (or M126Be) one day, to hook up to my D90. Then I can sell all my other gear and that will be it for me.

UCrazyKid

Topping D90

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In a round-about way the RME ADI-2 PRO FS R. Not specifically measured by Amir but lots of talk in the forums. Both to use as a AD/DAC in my system and to measure my equipment.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few DIY speakers obviously ;), but the first keeper will be a Topping E30 DAC. Eventually I expect to upgrade to a minidsp SHD or something comparable. I was thinking my first DAC would have balanced outputs, but could not get one for weeks. The E30 is due to arrive on Monday.

Well guess the E30 was not meant to be. Was supposed to arrive today, but got Amazon cancellation email instead. :mad:
Should have been more skeptical when the promise date was better than anywhere else. Since my Hypex amp did not work out either, may be time to reconsider my plans!

Last edited:
Top Bottom