• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the unreleased successor to AIYIMA A07?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Didn't aiyima asked about new features we want to see on new amp? It was quite a while ago, don't know what is happening now. Can't wait to see the performance.:cool:

Cjkeenan

Where did you read this? I have been looking to get the A07 for a 2.0 setup with my RP-500M's recently and almost did this morning until I found this post. I think I may wait a little to see if this is real.

OP
D

Deleted member 9685

Where did you read this? I have been looking to get the A07 for a 2.0 setup with my RP-500M's recently and almost did this morning until I found this post. I think I may wait a little to see if this is real.

I read it somewhere on this forum.

TheWalkman

I read it somewhere on this forum.

I have an 07, an 04 and just ordered an 05 to play with.

The 04 and 07 are great little amps and I’m curious to see how the 05 sounds. For fifty or sixty bucks plus a power brick you just can’t go wrong with either.

Cjkeenan

Any suggestions for an amp pair with the RP-500M's? I have been debating between the Loxjie A30, SMSL SA300, or Aiyima A07. I know the A07 is only an amp but given it is cheaper than the rest, I figured that all of the amp sections were more or less comparable.

Use case right now is just paired with an Echo Dot Gen 3 so the pre-amp, headphone, DAC, etc. are not mission critical, but they may transition to being desktop speakers which would then need that stuff.

Last edited:

TheWalkman

Any suggestions for an amp pair with the RP-500M's? I have been debating between the Loxjie A30, SMSL SA300, or Aiyima A07. I know the A07 is only an amp but given it is cheaper than the rest, I figured that all of the amp sections were more or less comparable.

Use case right now is just paired with an Echo Dot Gen 3 so the pre-amp, headphone, DAC, etc. are not mission critical, but they may transition to being desktop speakers which would then need that stuff.

I’m going back and forth between the A04 and 07 with a pair of Elac Uf5’s streaming from an R-Pi(3) and the sound is fantastic. i never go past 50 on the volume - plenty of kick.

Based on Amir’s seering comments about the stock power bricks, I bought some Meanwell power bricks as upgrades. I also bought some op-amps to swap, though I’m not really sure that was necessary but for the price of a pint of beer, what the heck.

My first real rig while in college was a Harmon Kardon Citation 11 and 12, a big 60 big watts(!) which was big $$$ in those days and I’m not sure it had anything on these little beasts.

Cjkeenan

Based on Amir’s seering comments about the stock power bricks, I bought some Meanwell power bricks as upgrades.

Is the included 32V/5A power supply dangerous or was the upgrade just for sound quality? Those Meanwell or Drok PSU's seem to be much more generic and would require wiring a barrel plug that would work with the A07. Did they improve the PSU with the A08 and if so do you think that would be worth it for a clean package? Or is there a recommended power supply that does not have the DIY aspect?

TheWalkman

Is the included 32V/5A power supply dangerous or was the upgrade just for sound quality? Those Meanwell or Drok PSU's seem to be much more generic and would require wiring a barrel plug that would work with the A07. Did they improve the PSU with the A08 and if so do you think that would be worth it for a clean package? Or is there a recommended power supply that does not have the DIY aspect?

I can’t say whether the stock power supplies had issues but gave the benefit of doubt to Amir and his conclusions from his original review.

Meanwells have a solid reputation as you’ll find from doing some googling, so I bit the bullet and bought a couple.

See attached photos.

I didn’t want to fool around with a switched supply (nor having to deal with the bulk or wires of a switched PS,) so I instead went the power brick route with the 24V for the A04 and 36V for the A07. I went with 160 Watts for some extra oomph. They both work great.

I ran them through my Kilowatt power meter and was surprised how little power the amps draw at normal listening levels (easily less than 10 Watts - counter intuitive) but I’m guessing the Meanwells have big capacitors that take care of smoothing the demand out. I can‘t recall ever seeing the draw exceeding 20 Watts when cranked up. I am also really pleased at how little power the bricks use in standby mode. They seem to run very cool as well.

Don’t over think it. These are great little amps. Buy either one. Upgrade to a Meanwell if you’d like. I’m betting you’ll be pleased. I sure am.

B9FEABC5-7B92-4600-B2DB-AD4B085A53BA.jpeg
F0D1FE80-8FF3-4448-93E4-C6FCFB7523B6.jpeg

TheWalkman

I think I like GST160A36-P1M. Where did you find a list of Mean Well SMPS power bricks?

I picked mine up from Mouser. You'll need the barrel plug and power cord.

Brick: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...0SMZod4Wp6pESg4Y0REYRJpx%2BDo8nUS3nf0hh5g7A==

Barrel Plug: 709-DCPLUG-R7BF-P1M https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...OO7qbT3Xs8TJwE/Vq3msuIb1vbsHRSZaaQBEBdqfPMNpc

Power Cord (North American version) https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI-Devices/AC-C13-NA?qs=WyjlAZoYn53BZzqbWMmk0A==

OP
D

Deleted member 9685

GST160A is a bit too expensive, and it utilizes Active PFC which leaks electrical noise from a power supply or an amplifier into house wires.
I changed my computer supply because it had Active PFC components which leaked a ton of electrical noise from my computer into my house wires.

I'm looking for power supplies with Passive PFC components or without Active PFC.
Passive PFC power supplies tend to be cheaper than Active PFC power supplies.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Yeah, enjoying both of mine, A04 and A07. I just unplug the stock power brick when not using. The A07 is a great little amp, it pairs well with my various bookshelf speakers. Currently hooked to some KEF Q 15.2 speakers and they sound good with it, these are a little less efficient than the other KEFs I had in there before, so I can get to about 12 o'clock on the volume knob. I'm sure Aiyima is working on new models all the time but the A07 is pretty darn good as it is.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Didn't aiyima asked about new features we want to see on new amp? It was quite a while ago, don't know what is happening now. Can't wait to see the performance.:cool:

let me start - remote control, subwoofer out (with crossover), headphone out, equalizer .....

Cjkeenan

let me start - remote control, subwoofer out (with crossover), headphone out, equalizer .....
Doesn't the A07 have subwoofer out via 3.5mm to RCA? I mean there is no LFE/dedicated sub out or an amp section for a passive sub, but there is a way if you have a powered sub. Also aren't all of those other features present when you buy their T8 pre-amp? And if you want an all in one, isn't that what the D or B line is for?

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 9685

Doesn't the A07 have subwoofer out via 3.5mm to RCA? I mean there is no LFE/dedicated sub out which is annoying, but there is a sub out if you want it. Also aren't all of those other features present when you buy their T8 pre-amp? And if you want an all in one, isn't that what the D line is for?

If you use A07, you need a dedicated subwoofer amplifier like AIYIMA A3001.

Cjkeenan

If you use A07, you need a dedicated subwoofer amplifier like AIYIMA A3001.
Not if you have a powered sub, which AFAIK is the majority of the market. Passive subs only really seem to be a thing in the diy space for obvious reasons.

OP
D

Deleted member 9685

Not if you have a powered sub, which AFAIK is the majority of the market. Passive subs only really seem to be a thing in the diy space for obvious reasons.

How do you connect AIYIMA A07 with a powered subwoofer?

Cjkeenan

How do you connect AIYIMA A07 with a powered subwoofer?
The 3.5mm output to line-level RCA input on a sub should do the job and then you have to set the crossover on the sub. Traditionally that port is for daisy-chaining multiple amplifiers for more channels, but technically you could call a powered sub just a specialized speaker/amp setup.

Top Bottom