• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the unreleased successor to AIYIMA A07?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 9685

The 3.5mm output to line-level RCA input on a sub should do the job and then you have to set the crossover on the sub. Traditionally that port is for daisy-chaining multiple amplifiers for more channels, but technically you could call a powered sub just a specialized speaker/amp setup.

I would need an RCA splitter or another DAC with another RCA cable. I know how to play the same sounds on multiple DACs.

Cjkeenan

I would need an RCA splitter or another DAC with another RCA cable. I know how to play the same sounds on multiple DACs.
Sorry I don't quite follow. 3.5mm is analog and RCA is also analog, so you can just get a TRS (stereo) 3.5mm to a RCA (LR) cable without any issue. Where is the additional DAC coming in?

Now if you were already using both the 3.5mm and the RCA on the A07 as inputs, then yes you can't add a subwoofer. At least not easily.

Another way to add a powered subwoofer is source into sub line level in, and then line level out to A07, but this obviously requires a sub that can do that and the in part of the 3.5mm on the A07 now won't use the subwoofer, which is less than ideal depending on the use case.

Long story short I am not sure how AIYIMA could improve on the A07 in any regard other than making a dedicated sub out purely for ease of use, evidenced by this conversation, and figuring out the power supply confusion, which seems to be why they released the A08, but correct me if I am wrong.

I feel like adding any sort of BT, DAC, or DSP would only increase the price for, IMO, no tangible benefit other than footprint. Now if there is a new amp chip better than the TPA3255 then that might be interesting, but I have no clue on that front so if anyone knows anything about that I would be interested in learning more.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 9685

Show me a picture of how you wired an active subwoofer and an amp. I'm a visual learner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cjkeenan

Show me a picture of how you wired an active subwoofer and an amp. I'm a visual learner.
I personally do not own the A07, I have just been researching it while I wait for my new speakers to arrive, but if you trust these pictures/diagrams from the Amazon page, the 3.5mm jack supports amp out as well as source in, meaning it effectively can be a pass-through for the RCA in, and in the other diagram it shows using this for other A07's to get more channels (or even subwoofer in the note), so you could use it with a subwoofer amplifier like previous posts mentioned or even an active subwoofer if it support RCA or 3.5mm input.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210830-125409.png
    Screenshot_20210830-125409.png
    864.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Screenshot_20210830-125738.png
    Screenshot_20210830-125738.png
    861.2 KB · Views: 196
OP
D

Deleted member 9685

I personally do not own the A07, I have just been researching it while I wait for my new speakers to arrive, but if you trust these pictures/diagrams from the Amazon page, the 3.5mm jack supports amp out as well as source in, meaning it effectively can be a pass-through for the RCA in, and in the other diagram it shows using this for other A07's to get more channels (or even subwoofer in the note), so you could use it with a subwoofer amplifier like previous posts mentioned or even an active subwoofer if it support RCA or 3.5mm input.

I think that's going to introduce some noise. If you have some money, you can also output the same sounds to two DACs. One DAC feeds speakers. Another DAC feeds a subwoofer.

Cjkeenan

Sure maybe, I don't have the data to back that up, but it solves one potential problem by introducing one very real problem. Now you have to get a single source into two DACs such that their latencies are the same, which seems like a much more difficult problem, not to mention you are substantially increasing the cost and footprint of this whole setup now.

IMO, it is generally a bad idea to run two things that need to be in sync parallel and then brought back together if you can avoid it. Obviously that is what is happening at a circuit level, but that is engineered to do so and has been tested. Bringing that out to a macro level just seems to be asking for problems to surface.

OP
D

Deleted member 9685

Now you have to get a single source into two DACs such that their latencies are the same

You wouldn't notice latency. Compared to bluetooth audio latency, hardware latency is negligible.

Cjkeenan

You wouldn't notice latency. Compared to bluetooth audio latency, hardware latency is negligible.
Bluetooth latency is only an issue because of what I said, two things that need to be in sync, i.e. sound and video, are run in parallel, because obviously they have to, and any difference in circuitry, the radio transmission itself, etc. can affect that. Now when they are brought back into the world via light and sound they can appear out of sync.

It is the same thing here, the main difference is BT as a protocol is aware of this issue and likely has been created to adapt and hopefully fix this delay, where a DAC is just a DAC, it doesn't really know anything about any of the other devices. But again if there actually is noise introduced on the 3.5mm line then yeah that needs to be fixed and could be a improvement for the next iteration but I haven't seen any reports of that.

At the end of the day, it seems like neither method is perfect, nothing costing something as cheap as this ever will be, but one costs significantly more and takes significantly more room just due to needing two DACs.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 9685

But, does AIYIMA A07 actually have AUX output?

Cjkeenan

But, does AIYIMA A07 actually have AUX output?
I mean I showed you the pictures from the Amazon listing and their website shows the same. Again, I don't have the device so of course I can't confirm first hand, but it does seem reasonable to come to the conclusion that it does.

GIJoe71103

I mean I showed you the pictures from the Amazon listing and their website shows the same. Again, I don't have the device so of course I can't confirm first hand, but it does seem reasonable to come to the conclusion that it does.
I just came across your guys' discussion. I just picked this amp the other day and hooked it up to my Klipsch RP150Ms & K-100SW. The Aux port on the rear of the amp does act like a line out to the powered sub. The only issue is that the volume knob does not seem to control the Aux connection. So the sub is always kicking when the amp is selected as the output from my DAC. Any suggestion on how to control the Sub in this set up?

Top Bottom