• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is it about McIntosh?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
At least they are not blue LEDs.
Good point.
Of course: blue LEDs could mean - "I need warranty service, stat." (code blue)

I believe the current Mac ethos includes LEDs that monitor... well, you know, something very, very important when the amp is switched on and the tubes reach Nirvana umm I mean their carefully tuned operating points. Red means that very, very important thing is bad; then it turns green, indicating to the technically savvy purchaser of this essential lifestyle accessory that the very, very important thing is good.

oy, I must be in a mood today, eh? ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Cute indeed. I just wish - I JUST WISH - McIntosh would loose those silly green LEDs under the tubes in all their current amplifiers. I know they have a thing about green, but really..... :facepalm:
Nope, that's the Mac thing and it lends a cool look IMO.
Now $2500 and all that over-engineering is completely silly to drive a set of headphones, but if ya got it, flaunt it.
My only concern is that it doesn't technically perform as good or sound as good (accurate) as could be done with a handful of SS components and a battery stuck inside a throat lozenge box?
But that just wouldn't get it in the high end audio market. ;)

ricdelros

May I know what model of McIntosh that inspired to make an Mc901..Is it the Combination of Mc3500 for Vacuum tube amp and the Mc2300 for the SST??..Thanks

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's the CMoy amplifier, it may be recalled. :cool:
It was a thing, what? 10? 20? years ago.
Out of curiosity, any one have one laying around to send to Amir for measurements? :)
Truth be told, for the vast majority of headphones, the needed power etc is minimal and a SS amp should be
a very simple box to put together. Like a phono amp, there's no way in hell you need a box and circuitry the size of a AVR to drive a set of headphones to a SOTA level. That plus a couple hundred bucks should cover it..

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's marketed scam imo. Those vu meters are nice. Other than that, a ncore can destroy it in spades
Try selling your ncore in 20 years and let me know how much you get for it. My MA6900 is worth what I paid for it 20 years ago. I'd have to buy 2 Benchmarks (that's $6,000 so you don't need to look it up) to have the same power, but then I'd have no preamp.

Oh, and let me know if you can hear the difference between 0.005% and 0.001% distortion on 400 watt peaks. Oh wait, the Benchmark in bridged mono can't do that.

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Try selling your ncore in 20 years and let me know how much you get for it.

I'd speculate that it would be worth about as much as my 4 year old Android phone, if its still working at all. ;)

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try selling your ncore in 20 years and let me know how much you get for it. My MA6900 is worth what I paid for it 20 years ago. I'd have to buy 2 Benchmarks (that's $6,000 so you don't need to look it up) to have the same power, but then I'd have no preamp.

Oh, and let me know if you can hear the difference between 0.005% and 0.001% distortion on 400 watt peaks. Oh wait, the Benchmark in bridged mono can't do that.
If I had room for my McIntosh MC352 power amp, I would take it 10x over a pair of bridged AHB2’s. But I don’t. So I’m stuck with my Benchmarks.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I had room for my McIntosh MC352 power amp, I would take it 10x over a pair of bridged AHB2’s. But I don’t. So I’m stuck with my Benchmarks.
That's a beautiful amp. 2 x 350 at any impedance and under 0.005% THD at all frequencies and output levels. Plus this little nugget:
"Intermodulation Distortion 0.005% maximum if instantaneous peak power output does not exceed twice the output power rating." http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/Downloads/MC352_bro.pdf

One more nugget just for your consideration: "Peak Output Current > 100 amperes" :p

(Not hating on Benchmark, I think it's wonderful. Just noting that McIntosh is not just "marketing" piffle.)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a beautiful amp. 2 x 350 at any impedance and under 0.005% THD at all frequencies and output levels. Plus this little nugget:
"Intermodulation Distortion 0.005% maximum if instantaneous peak power output does not exceed twice the output power rating." http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/Downloads/MC352_bro.pdf

One more nugget just for your consideration: "Peak Output Current > 100 amperes" :p

(Not hating on Benchmark, I think it's wonderful. Just noting that McIntosh is not just "marketing" piffle.)
Thanks rub it in. :) Still saddened that i had to sell it.
After a certain level of measured performance, I stop worrying about audible differences. That’s when appearance/design starts to matters (at least to me).

Mashcky

Forum Donor
I'd speculate that it would be worth about as much as my 4 year old Android phone, if its still working at all. ;)

With genuine curiosity, what is behind these arguments? Is there a defensible reason a chip board Ncore won’t last as long as my MC2100? We don’t have 20 years of history with Ncore amps, do we? Are all chip amps made with the same durability? I see a lot of equivocating high end class D with cheap chip amps in these arguments. Is this correct?

Not trying to stir controversy here — I’m actually planning on selling my 50 year old McIntosh for 8 channels of Ncore with over double the power, three times the efficiency, and probably one-quarter the weight. Is this a bad idea? Same goes for my MX117 pre-amp; it can almost be exchanged dollar-for-dollar for an Okto DAC8.

If these newer units survive, and I don’t yet know why they wouldn’t, they can depreciate to $0.00 as long as tunes still come out the way they did when I bought them.

Top Bottom