• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphones sound the most like speakers?

BingaMoon

Probably a dumb question but I don't really know anything about headphones. I use Sennheiser 598's which I really love and sound great but they don't give even 10% of the experience of using my Revel's. Are there any headphones that give something close to the experience of speakers? Any price preferably under $2k.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Probably the AKG N90Q with its '2.1 Studio' 'Stage Control' DSP mode activated, which attempts to emulate the sound of studio speakers through a crossfeed algorithm implementing interaural time and amplitude (ITD and IAD) difference signals between channels, which are present with speaker but absent from headphone listening. See Tyll of Innerfidelity's excellent explanation and review here.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I think the following "ear speaker" headphones should at least be mentioned:

AKG K1000:
061127.jpg

Stax SR Sigma:
843031-stax-srsigma-pro-headphones-earspeakers.jpg

Raal SR1a:
RAAL SR1a Ribbon Headphone driver close up Audio Review.jpg

Mysphere 3:
320mysphere.promo_.jpg

These headphones achieve their soundstage through driver<->ear distance and no ear pads.
The trade-off is hardly any bass extension and extremely variable frequency response.

Valera

You can chose from the picture posted above , I think that AKG 1000 is ok.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Any headphones with the use of a Smyth Realiser.

Kal, I am NOT up on headphones at all. I'm very headphone ignorant. What is a Smyth Realiser and what will it do? Also, what do you think about the headphones that supposedly offer surround sound for movies?
I have a set of Audeze Mobius at Amir's house for testing. They seem complicated and I have numerous questions about the 3D simulated mode vs the stereo modes. Got any info?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Kal, I am NOT up on headphones at all. I'm very headphone ignorant. What is a Smyth Realiser and what will it do?
You can Google for the latest product but my old review of the original model (https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-45) will give you the ideal.
Also, what do you think about the headphones that supposedly offer surround sound for movies?
I don't think anything of them since I am committed to listening with loudspeakers.
I have a set of Audeze Mobius at Amir's house for testing. They seem complicated and I have numerous questions about the 3D simulated mode vs the stereo modes. Got any info?
Nope.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
i have hear many in ears and headphones, and speakers... sounds like speakers and headphones sounds like headphones... if you like speakers better have one...
I have a planar magnetic headphones and a tower from kef, couldn't be more happy

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
i have hear many in ears and headphones, and speakers... sounds like speakers and headphones sounds like headphones... if you like speakers better have one...
But the Smyth can make your headphones sound like your speakers (although not vice versa).

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
But the Smyth can make your headphones sound like your speakers (although not vice versa).
for me its not only about that, for me the biggest change is the Bass:), i never heard any headphone sounding near to a floorstander or a bookshelf + 2 subs in bass:cool:

i wonder what happen if the manufactures back to models like these, i think if they remove the ''pads'' the next step gonna be improve the bass...
1628356370797.png

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As others have said, saving the tech solutions (Smyth and those fancy AKG) I don't think you'll get what youre after.

But, I'd encourage you to look at a pair of sennheiser HD800 or 800S second hand if you can /would EQ. They have the ability because of both comfort /fit and sonic properties to be very unobtrusive and out of head. At the risk of cliche, they can disappear.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These headphones achieve their soundstage through driver<->ear distance and no ear pads.
The trade-off is hardly any bass extension and extremely variable frequency response.

So I get a "soundstage" homogenized across all recordings and poor bass extension/frequency response. Not sure this is a good tradeoff.

GaryH

Major Contributor

ADU

Major Contributor
I am not much for these virtualization approaches. If this is what the OP wants though, then more power to ya, sir. Because it looks like there are quite a few different options to try.

I'd be curious to hear some opinions from some owners of good in-room systems and speakers though re which type and models of standard wired headphones they think do the best job of capturing the same feel, sound, response and so forth as their in-room setups. By "type" I mean closed, open, dynamic, planar, e-stat, etc..

Intuitively, I'm inclined to think that open dynamic headphones that use some kind of surround/free-edge driver approach might be the closest, and potentially deliver the best slam, punch, or what Resolve now refers to as "macro-contrasts". Alot of enthusiasts seem to like the planar magnetics though, especially some models by HiFiMan and a few other companies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom