• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

BillG

Major Contributor
1. Sony MDR7506 - I've same pair since '96, and they're tough as nails.

2. KZ ZSX (IEM) - they sound great, have a more neutral tuning than KZ's usual offerings, look like I have cybernetic implants when I'm wearing, and I smile every time I think about 12 transducers - 2 dynamic drivers and 8 balanced armatures - firing into my ears simultaneously.
Download.jpeg

3. KZ AS10 (IEM) - they sound great, and have a more neutral tuning. When wearing them, I get to smile about having 10 transducers - all balanced armatures - firing into my ears simultaneously.
Download1.jpeg

sherm137

Both measured DT880's are the 250 Ohm version which is mentioned in the article and the specs mentioned in the articles.
The most recent measurements are not the Edition but the Black Special Edition headphones.
The black pads is what appears to be responsible for the shift in tonal balance compared to the 'normal' DT880 Edition.
Sorry, I missed the first part in the article. I should really read more closely instead of skimming. Thanks for the replies.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AKG K7xx - very good for music and games. Cons: they r open - so leak sound, bulky, weak headband and not seat tight enough on my head. No cons for audio itself.
Audiotechnica M40x with HM5 pads - very good for closed and fun to listen to, V-shaped, wide soundstage, fell from the stairs and broke. Might buy again.
Status Audio CB1 - very good/detailed for closed and fun to listen to, soundstage is very narrow, very comfy right out of the box, plastic band started cracking - fixed with superglue, but won't live long, once breaks - might go for M40x.
AKG K371 - bought it on hype very recently. They r good but boring. Cup construction where cable attaches is bad - all cables are microphonic due to it.
AKG K553 - good, don't like permanent cable, gave it to kids.
Sony 7506 - light, comfy, sturdy, sensitive, easy to drive, good soundstage, but boring otherwise, may be good for monitoring? Also cable permanently attached and I need mic on my closed headphones for teleconferencing.
Superlux 668B with HM5 pads - good, but bass is muddied, so for noncrtitical listening, like movies.
Monoprice 8323 - first pair was super good, plastic band broke after 2 year, 2nd pair - I don't like much, it seems harsh. muddy and hollow compared to CB1.
Tascam Th-02 - interesting pair, very detailed, could hear scratchiness in Phil Collins voice for the first time, gave it to kids, they promptly destroyed it. Wouldn't buy again due to permanently attached cable.
JVC Flats - good, loud, cheerful. But maybe to bright? Found them too ear piercing for longer sessions.
Koss 75 - open, would bite my ears, didn't like, sound is boring.
Koss Porta Pro - surprisingly hard to drive, sound muted from mobile sources, didn't like it.

bravomail

HD598 and HD660s.

I use the SMSL SP200 and M200. If anyone can recommend a couple of headphone options I can drool over for 6 months and save up for I'd appreciate it. Ta.

as far as open cans go - u r good. Look at some closed backs.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Not much of a headphone guy; I prefer loudspeakers. I currently own a pair of Grado SR125s and a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3s, primarily for air travel.
I own the XM3. I almost returned them to Amazon the first week because the bass was a muddy mess; however, once I equalized the bass bloat down the XM3 is a very enjoyable headphone. Without cleaning up that bass bloat mind you they really do not sound particularly good. After the bass is cleaned up the other frequencies have a chance to establish themselves and the XM3 becomes an enjoyable, and engaging, contemporary tuned headphone. Extremely comfortable for sure.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
The 600 Ohm version (as well as the 32 Ohm) have different drivers and most likely won't measure the same.
I owned an 880 600ohm premium version and wish that I had never sold them. Used the funds to help get a Denon D7000 which was quite lovely back in it's day. To this day I remember the bass extension of the DT880 as one of the most capable headphones for reaching down low in a tactile way with grip and some detail. I owned an SPL Auditor and Graham Slee Novo at the time and used with the 880 I had some of the best listening sessions I can recall. I am not sure if I would be as fond of the 880 now as my preferences have shifted to a slightly warm signature, but I would love to hear a well driven 880 again. I owned it at the same time as the HD650 and when deciding which one to keep then I opted for the DT880.

odyo

I owned an 880 600ohm premium version and wish that I had never sold them. Used the funds to help get a Denon D7000 which was quite lovely back in it's day. To this day I remember the bass extension of the DT880 as one of the most capable headphones for reaching down low in a tactile way with grip and some detail. I owned an SPL Auditor and Graham Slee Novo at the time and used with the 880 I had some of the best listening sessions I can recall. I am not sure if I would be as fond of the 880 now as my preferences have shifted to a slightly warm signature, but I would love to hear a well driven 880 again. I owned it at the same time as the HD650 and when deciding which one to keep then I opted for the DT880.
That's probably the best headphone Beyerdynamic produced along with closed back DT 770 250 ohm imo.

3125b

Major Contributor
The DT880 (Edition) really is a great headphone, especially since it now sells for ~140€, I loved mine.
The one downside is that Beyerdynamic to this day hasn't figured out how to make foam that lasts more than a few years. You have to replace the ear pads and especially disks every so often lest they crumble and get all up into everything. Plus the hair-problem. They should overhaul the whole earpad situation in the future, it could use an upadate after 30 years or so.

KikoKentaurus

Recently bought myself an AKG K371. My head hurts a lot. Massive headache, like if it's a cold. A clogged nose, a clogged ears. Even without turned on music, LOL.
They arrived 26th of May, and I was able to use them maybe 4-5 times. Every next time I use them, it becomes easier for me, I can endure longer periods of time... But still...

Closed-back headphones is such a pain!

Last edited:

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Recently bought myself an AKG K371. My head hurts a lot. Massive headache, like if it's a cold. A clogged nose, a clogged ears. Even without turned music, LOL.
They arrived 26th of May, and I was able to use them maybe 4-5 times. Every next time when I use them, it becomes easier for me, I can endure longer periods of time... But still...

Closed-back headphones is such a pain!
I’m betting your AKG’s had the COVID-19. Once you get the immunity everything will be fine.

JRM_PT

Just bumped into this thread today...
At the office and outdoors I use the Apple wired Earpods that came with the company's iPhone 6S.
At home I use my old friends Sony MDR-V3, from the early 1990's. Holding very strong with some interesting specs:
Type: Closed, supra-aural
Driver: 30mm dynamic
Voice coil: Copper clad Al
Impedance: 45 Ohm
Sensitivity: 100dB/W
Power: 0,5W
Frequency Response: 16-22kHz
Weight: 150g (without cord)
Cord: 3m litz ofc wire
Purchase Price: € 25,00 (1992)

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sensitivity: 100dB/W should be 100dB/mW ;)

The frequency response spec can be safely ignored.

ssips

I currently own the following:
- T50rp MK2 Argons Balanced
I originally bought the massdrop version of the MKII, they sounded really bad. Imagine having a trumpet muffler in front of your ears and thats basically what they originally sounded like. I sent them over to modhouse, and now they are REAAAALLLY good imo. very balanced headphones.

- HD6XX
Pretty self explanatory, really good price to sound ratio. Loved by mostly all.

- Verum One
Some Planar magnetic headphones from the Ukraine. I think these are really great value planars, these overall seem to have a nice balance of everything for me. I can listen to these for hours. They don't need too much power to drive either at least in my experience.

- Fostex TR-X00 Purplehearts
These aren't a favourite of mine, im not sure why but I find them a little fatiguing.

- Fischer Fa-011 TAE
Some dynamic driver headphones from Saint Petersburg,
These seem to have a nice focus on having high elements stand out from my listening.
In some occasions there does appear to be a bit of sibilance to these.

- Phiaton MS400
Kinda what got me into the hobby back in the day, nowhere near as good as any of the other pairs I have today, but they hold some sentimental value to me.

In the mail somewhere:
- Gold Planar GL600
Seems like the manufacturer of some of the monoprice headphones, decided to make their own planars.
Full metal build looks much better than the monoprice version, so i've taken the plunge.

- Sash Tres
I'm really intrigued by theses when I saw them, they are made by one guy, Sasha, in the Ukraine.
Had to order them by chatting to him on facebook.
Planar magnetics,
They come with wooden cups and a grill, letting you run them open or closed.
They kind of remind me of ZMF, some other owners appear to have got their wooden cups cut to look like ZMFs too.
Very affordable in comparison though, a trend I see a lot with Ukraine products.

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have decided to add a pair of Focal Clears to my Audeze LCD-3. Currently using a Topping DX7 Pro to drive them. I may replace it sometime in the future but I have no plans to do so in the short term.

Martin

RighteousNuts

LCD-4, Ether C Flow, Ether CX, HD650, Alpha Dogs, TH-X00 Purplehearts, DT 1990 Pro, HD650s, Sony MDR Z1Rs, HD600, Argon Mk3s, Sony WH1000XM3,

I think my favorite are Ether C Flows or Sony Z1Rs.
LCD-4s have wonderful slam, just super heavy for long listening periods.
For travelling I either use Alpha Dogs or SonyXM3s.

I try to switch headphones weekly otherwise.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I try to switch headphones weekly otherwise.

I tend to do this as well, not weekly though. I find it interesting how some headphones seem to sound 'better than remembered' (or less) again after not having used them for a while.

Last edited:
Current headphones are:

Sennheiser HD 6XX
Beyerdynamic DT 177X
Koss KPH30i (a couple pairs)
Thinksound ON2 (these are probably going soon)
Macaw GT 600S iems
VE Monk Plus
Sony WH-H900N

Dedicated HP setup: SGD1 -> SMSL SP200 -> (joy)

The Koss were the first pair of headphones I had that didn’t come with a phone, for at least a decade. I had (and still have) a pair of Dynaco A25s that I got from my father, so I didn’t do a lot of headphone listening until the iPod/phone came out. I didn’t think a lot about what I had been missing until I bought a pair of the Koss on a whim. They showed me that there was so much I had been missing in headphones. They are great and I still use them as my go to for watching shows, or when I’m doing tasks around the house, walking, etc.

The 177x are definitely the most comfortable, and also my favorite for music. My opinion of them is that they are like a fire hose of auditory information, though I image that is because of the combo of isolation and treble. With the current setup, they are just a real pleasure to listen to.

The 6XX are a close second. I love the sound of open back headphones, and they .are like the warm butter of headphones. Their main issue for me is that they clamp a bit too tight for my taste sometimes.

And yes, (mass)Drop got their hooks into my wallet starting a few years ago with the senns. Most of my headphones are from there. What can I say, I love a good deal.

Last edited:

wgb113

AKG K872 for home use. (Anyone aware of measurements for these?)
Sony MDR-1000X for travel.

Top Bottom