• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I own all these

I own all of these headphones. I made a list to remember it.

Listening with headphones is one of my passions. so I buy a lot of them. Each pair has its own unique sound and finding a good pairing with audio gear is like blending grape varieties. Each combination gives a unique sound.
Anyone with a headphone list as long and indiscriminate as that one is bound to come out with something like this! Oh well.

Oldson

Forum Donor
my current headphone list comprises
JMaudio XTC open, Sony MDR-z7m2, BeyerDT1990, DT770(250),Amiron, Senn HD650 and Denon AH-d2000

the XTC is my clear favourite

Attachments

• 20231115_194154.jpg
    20231115_194154.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 46
Finally, yesterday the HE1000 and the V222 arrived.
I had the opportunity to listen to the HE1000 and the MEZE 109pro with 4 headphone amplifiers:
  1. HIFIMAN EF400
  2. Topping A30pro
  3. Topping A70pro
  4. Violectric V222
The EF400 sounds decent, but only with the HE1000; structurally, it seems the best made. It's too colorful because it has its own internal DAC; the sound seems harmonious but not at all neutral.
A70pro and A30pro are quite similar and exhibit a certain neutrality with plenty of power. The price difference is justified by the available features. The V222 is the one that aesthetically looks worse because it seems to be made for kit assembly components, but it's sturdy and weighs a solid 2kg. I liked it more than the others (I have difficulty expressing myself with audiophile terms devoid of scientific meaning) and I bought it because it was used with a very favorable price and still under warranty.

Thank you everyone for your support :)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-26 at 20.58.34.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-26 at 20.58.34.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 48
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-26 at 20.58.35.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-26 at 20.58.35.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 45

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally, yesterday the HE1000 and the V222 arrived.
I had the opportunity to listen to the HE1000 and the MEZE 109pro with 4 headphone amplifiers:
  1. HIFIMAN EF400
  2. Topping A30pro
  3. Topping A70pro
  4. Violectric V222
The EF400 sounds decent, but only with the HE1000; structurally, it seems the best made. It's too colorful because it has its own internal DAC; the sound seems harmonious but not at all neutral.
A70pro and A30pro are quite similar and exhibit a certain neutrality with plenty of power. The price difference is justified by the available features. The V222 is the one that aesthetically looks worse because it seems to be made for kit assembly components, but it's sturdy and weighs a solid 2kg. I liked it more than the others (I have difficulty expressing myself with audiophile terms devoid of scientific meaning) and I bought it because it was used with a very favorable price and still under warranty.

Thank you everyone for your support :)
Uh-oh, another member seeing what different good measuring amps sound like (2 of the headphone amps at least)!

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Maybe @widemediaphotography uses the EF400 in NOS mode which shows roll-off in the upper treble and a significant phase shift in the audible range ?

Measurements made by Goldensound (Cameron)

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The question then is did the amp section alone sound very different from the other amps ?

I'm not a Violectric fan and I hoped that in the listening test I liked it less than the others because it was definitely the most expensive. Compared to the A70pro I had the impression that the clarity was accompanied by a slightly more harmonious tone (I struggle to express myself in audiophile terms because I don't think they can have much meaning). The EF400 was tested both in Oversampling and without Oversampling modes. What didn't convince me was that the Meze 109pro with this amplifier seemed more confused in each oversampling mode. Obviously I didn't take any measurements, but my impressions seem quite common among those who tested with me. In any case, Hifiman does not produce cheap components and there must be a reason if the EF400, well built and with integrated DAC, has a cost like a cheap DAC brand...

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe @widemediaphotography uses the EF400 in NOS mode which shows roll-off in the upper treble and a significant phase shift in the audible range ?

Measurements made by Goldensound (Cameron)
I was referring to the two Toppings as I didn't know how the others measured. Seems pretty foolish to use amps & dacs that aren't transparent.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
He did state those 2 sounded the same.

There are millions of people not using 'transparent' gear and loving that to bits.
Its just a few thousand that seem to care and are vocal about it? :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He did state those 2 sounded the same.

There are millions of people not using 'transparent' gear and loving that to bits.
Its just a few thousand that seem to care and are vocal about it? :)
Yeah, that's my opinion, if people want to try to tune their headphones by using DACS/amps with wonky frequency responses then in my opinion "more fool them". It's just the classic audiofool approach of constantly & blindly changing their audio chain to try to get "synergy" with your headphone - laughable when you have spent some more enlightened times here on ASR.

The concept of transparency is excellent food for thought... To all those who, using audiophile terminology, tell me that this cable or rather that other one significantly alters the sound, I always reply that it is better and more convenient to have a good Digital Signal Processor (DSP) capable of coloring the sound as desired . It is preferable that I attribute the color rather than passively receive it, so I don't have to buy a new component every time I want to change it

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The concept of transparency is excellent food for thought... To all those who, using audiophile terminology, tell me that this cable or rather that other one significantly alters the sound, I always reply that it is better and more convenient to have a good Digital Signal Processor (DSP) capable of coloring the sound as desired . It is preferable that I attribute the color rather than passively receive it, so I don't have to buy a new component every time I want to change it
That seems reasonable to me, and is the approach most people here on ASR would take, but that's a bit at odds with you comparing the sound of your various amps/DACS. If I was you I'd just do as you're saying right now in this post of yours I'm quoting, so in other words you're better off keeping it simple with DAC & amp, so you'd just choose good measuring ones that have the features/power/aesthetics/price that you desire and then use EQ if you want to change sound of your headphones.

LeShog

Audeze LCD-2C: nice tuning for pop music, vocals sound velvety and the sound signature is full bodied and creamy, still you get the feeling that you are losing something from your musical experience (there's a hole in the frequency response, you don't get all the music). Very olographic. Sounds like shit with classical or any genre that demands realism. Responds very well to eq (very low THD). After eq (Harman curve by Oratory1990) punch, beautiful timbre and microdynamics. Complex and refined texture. Very detailed and satisfying sound. Quite fatigating though, I suspect it's all the detail, a lot of inputs for your brain to digest. Anyway a beautiful experience!

garethccc

Alessandro MS-1's (Grado Labs). Inexpensive, easy to drive, leak sound like a sieve and I love them! Had them since 2011, still going strong. Hate the double-cord & swivel post design on that model though, urgh!

Attachments

• dsc08371.jpg
    dsc08371.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Sennheiser HD600, Hifiman HE6SE, Hifiman Susvara
I use HE6SE and Susvara to listen to music, and HD600 for daily using

If I was you I'd just do as you're saying right now in this post of yours I'm quoting, so in other words you're better off keeping it simple with DAC & amp, so you'd just choose good measuring ones that have the features/power/aesthetics/price that you desire and then use EQ if you want to change sound of your headphones.
I have no intention of introducing DSP or equalizers into my listening chain. If I want to increase the quality of my listening I have to switch to components that have better measurements. However, at my age (57) and the average age of audiophiles, the resolution possibilities of biological auditory systems tend to become increasingly limited. I had published on this forum my measurements of the comparison between 2 AT-VM95E and AT-VM740ML cartridges, where it is shown that most of the differences are found where my hearing no longer reaches (beyond 13 KHz) ;)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no intention of introducing DSP or equalizers into my listening chain. If I want to increase the quality of my listening I have to switch to components that have better measurements. However, at my age (57) and the average age of audiophiles, the resolution possibilities of biological auditory systems tend to become increasingly limited. I had published on this forum my measurements of the comparison between 2 AT-VM95E and AT-VM740ML cartridges, where it is shown that most of the differences are found where my hearing no longer reaches (beyond 13 KHz) ;)
I don't really agree with that approach, it's non-optimal and self limiting to take a stance that EQ is not to be used, but it is your choice albeit a self-limiting one. It suggests that you've never tried EQ or never tried it properly implemented, or have some inherent bias against EQ that is ultimately irrational.

EDIT: if most of your listening is done by source of turntable, then to use EQ you'd probably have to use something like a miniDSP device to do the whole process of converting to digital / EQ / converting back to analogue. It also suggests that you don't ever use RoomEQ either when it comes to speakers. If you're stuck on vinyl then that probably explains some of your biases, but it's your choice. On a practical note, if you're definitely not gonna use EQ I recommend you go buy a relatively cheap pair of Sennheiser HD560s, that's probably gonna be your best stock (without EQ) listening experience, likely better than your expensive HE1000.

Last edited:

Glint

Used to own HD555, they met with a bad accident, so purchased HD 518 to replace them 11 years ago. 2 very similar pairs over 20 years :3

Been using the same AUNE headphone amp+USB DAC "special edition" combo for 14 years too :p

Top Bottom