• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

AJM1981

I own a pair of open Grado Sr80x for reference and Fresh 'n Rebel Clam 2, which are sealed

AJM1981

Alessandro MS-1's (Grado Labs). Inexpensive, easy to drive, leak sound like a sieve and I love them! Had them since 2011, still going strong. Hate the double-cord & swivel post design on that model though, urgh!
Not a fan of the double cord as well. Doesn't make that much sense either.

Rick63

Today I received a new pair of Shure SRH840A's. It's the first pair of over ear headphones I've owned in about 18 months since selling my AKG K371's.

I also own a pair of Fiio FD3 Pro IEMs that I like a lot.

Been a while since I first posted a list, and a lot of changes since then.
These are the ones that I use at least occasionally (very occasionally in a lot of cases):

• AKG K240 Sextett
  • AKG K280
  • AKG K371
  • Beyerdynamic Custome One Pro
  • Beyerdynamic T70p
  • Creative Aurvana Live
  • Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire
  • Dan Clark Audio E3
  • Extreme Isolation EX-29
  • Fostex TH-x00 Mahagony
  • Fostex T50RP Mk3
  • Koss ESP/95x
  • Koss KSC75
  • Koss Porta Pro
  • Oppo PM3
  • Philips Fidelio X2HR
  • Philips SHP9600
  • PSB M4U 1
  • Sennheiser Game One
  • Sennheiser HD25
  • Sennheiser HD250 II
  • Sennheiser HD380
  • Sennheiser HD540
  • Sennheiser HD540 II
  • Sennheiser HD580 precision
  • Sennheiser HD630VB
  • Sennheiser HD800
  • Sennheiser PX100
  • Sennheiser PX200 II
  • Superlux HD681
  • Stax Lambda Nova Basic
IEMs (again, the ones that see at least some usage):
  • Audeze iSine 10
  • 7Hz Salnotes Zero
  • 7Hz Salnotes Zero 2
  • Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk
  • Moondrop Chu
  • Moondrop Jiu
  • Moondrop Quarks
  • Moondrop Quarks DSP
  • Shure SE535
  • Truthear Hexa
  • Truthear Hola

rexbinary

I have a pair of DT 770 PROs 250Ω for monitoring electric guitar. I have a pair of DT 880 Edition 250Ω for mixing and HIFI listening. I have three pairs of DT 990s Editions. (I don't have any issues with the treble obviously!) Two are 250Ω Black Special Editions. One is for HIFI listening, and the other one is for PC gaming. The third pair Edition 32Ω for mobile. I bought the third pair 32Ω for mobile before I bought my first DAC/AMP. I don't own any Beyerdynamic stock, but if they were publicly owned I should.

Next, I'm looking at the FiiO FT3 as an impulse buy for something different, or something from HIFIMan like the Sundara.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Earlier this week I bought a pair of 2nd hand but still in unused packed condition Sennheiser Momentum 2 on ear headphones from a uk hifi form, I mistakenly thought they were over ear momentum's so hadn't tried them out so thought I may as well see what they're like. Holy shit :oops:...these actually sound pretty good through my my HibyR6 on low gain. Listening to some electronic music with sub 30hz bass and the momentums have a real solid punch down low, the rest of the frequency's sound good as well, they also pack small enough to into the pocket of my jogger so that's a win.

I'm really genuinely impressed with them, to think i've had them sitting there all week, I was considering selling them on for what I paid - £45 , I'm keeping these for sure.

It's nice to pleasantly surprised :D

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Additions and subtractions since my last post in this thread. (If not mentioned, no change.)

Home (if not active, either driven by RME ADI 2 Pro FS R or Qudelix 5k portable DSP-amp):
  • Austrian Audio Hi-X60 and Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire. One area where AKG N700NC M2 fall down a bit is in sound leakage. RTINGS shows them 7+ dB worse than the best performers they've tested. So I'm testing these two closed cans to see if they're better performers in that regard. Still mulling exactly how to test leakage. Also buying for longevity, because AA and DCA seem to be decent companies that will continue to supply consumables such as ear pads for their products, whereas Samsung just wants you to throw your old stuff away and buy their new thing. (Levinson claims to stock spares for 5909 but I've not tested them; at any rate they were more than I wanted to spend on impulse.) I'll likely end up only keeping one, unless one takes up residence at the home office and the other at the office office. So far both sound very good (X60 with a simplified and tweaked by ear version or Oratory's EQ, A2N with @amirm's EQ - note the @oratory1990 RME settings may reflect an an early run or something, and does not sound right on my newer models), X60 may sound better with no EQ (an edge case use for me), and is more comfortable and less fussy. X60 is much more efficient. Q5K unbalanced might be too little for A2N, though RME-2 unbalanced is fine and I'm sure if you have a a 2.5 mm TRRS cable Q5K is fine for them too. A2N's fold is a neat trick, but having to keep a foam block between the cups of A2N to prevent the pads from compressing is just a little too precious. IMO DCA's case is also useless for business commuting or business travel. Just too fat at over 4" thick. NAD HP70 and Levinson 5909 really have the best shape to fit in a professional adult's briefcase (flat - width and depth aren't too constrained because there's generally also going to be a 13"-14" laptop in the bag, as well as maybe an iPad or iPad Pro). N700NC M2 is a little worse than NAD but still doable.
  • The single biggest headphone improvement ever on my desk - these $5/ea magnetic hooks. The problem is headphone stands (including the K&M ones I use) generally have zero cable management. These hooks fix that, and keep a desk from looking like you have a worm infestation. They're also reasonably quick to spool and unspool, compared to typical cable winding type stuff. Still, all headphone stands should come with two basic studs on the back to wind the stupid cable.
    Biggest desktop headphone improvement ever.jpeg
  • AKG N400NC. Bought these after a @Sean Olive twitter post. I really only use these TWS buds for calls on a non-Mac or to pair with the United in-flight entertainment, but they work great for those uses. They sound very good but are SPL limited for music. I still get annoyed when I open them and find the earpieces are on the wrong damn side of the case.
  • Sennheiser HD650. Sold here. Fantastic headphones, but just not different enough from HD580 to keep both. And HD580 have been to the ends of the earth with me, so they are the sentimental pick. Value pick as well, because obviously resale on minimally used HD650 is much higher than a decades old pair of HD580.
Packed travel kit:
  • Second AKG N700NC M2. I will be very sad when the pads or batteries on my two N700NC M2's die, as I have no expectation Samsung will offer spares.
  • AKG N5005. Comfortable (IME), very good looking, and great-sounding IEM. Also the only thing I've heard that really sounds elite when playing straight off an M1 MBP. Grab ‘em while Samsung’s blowing ‘em out.
Floaters/exercise/pocket carry:
  • JBL Endurance Run (OG) - also bought these after a @Sean Olive tweet. Much more comfortable than Truthear Zero in my ears and the magnetic connection makes them great to throw around exercise gear. Also picked up some 2nd gens for the kids during black Friday when they cost about as much as a bottle of water, but never personally listened to them.
  • Truthear Nova. Bought these on a lark based on hype. Not too far off from AKG N5005, but don't have the classy perceived build quality - they barely look different from Truthear Zero from the outside. Too garish to wear outdoors or when commuting on public transport, IMO. However, also much more comfortable Zero. Oddly, Novas quite volume limited before they sound terrible when driven directly from my M1 MBP. Sound fine on Q5K or ADI-2.
Don’t use, should sell (but I’m lazy):
  • Audeze iSine 10 (with all the cables including Ciphers 1, 2, and wireless) - I like 'em when I put 'em on (with Oratory EQ on Q5K) but don't seem to put 'em on much.
  • Truthear Zero. Bought these for a kid - she couldn't abide the massive snout. Same went for me. Not worth the effort to pack for sale though. Maybe as a pack-in with something else.
  • NAD HP70 - good sound and superior flat case, but AKG N700NC M2 are just so, so good
  • AKG K702 - bought a second pair for no good reason in a fit of pique when the clear plastic bit holding the tension strap together crumbles on my old Austrian pair, used for about 45 minute (listed here)
  • AKG K550 (used for ~3 days when they first came out; never sealed well for me but I missed the return window so I still have them - and still haven't taken pics...)
  • MrSpeakers (now Dan Clark Audio) Mad Dog (modded Fostex 50) (also listed here)
  • Hifiman HE400S
  • Denon AH-D2000
  • NAD HP50

Last edited:

hex168

JVC HA-S500 - very good EQed but lots of clamping pressure on the head. That's why the bass is good, I suppose.

Zero2 - no opinion yet, recent purchase

Stax something or other - lost in a closet somewhere
Audio Technica Electret headphones - lost in the same closet

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sennheiser Momentum 4 (Bluetooth)
Sennheiser HD650 previous favorite
Sennheiser HD800 S new favorite, just got them and wow

Sennheiser IE200 iem
Linsoul 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 iem

Koss KPH40
Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro
Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 Pro

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I own and use @ home the Sennheiser HD 598SR. I really like them and use them everyday a lot
For my Samsung Galaxy S23 cel tel operation I bought the Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro and wow are they ever cool.
They have no faults and simply work wonderfully in everyway and fit is excellent with the rubber/neoprene ear pieces never falling off and fitting my ears perfectly.
s-l1600.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-16 132234.png

- DCA E3 (just got these yesterday)
- Focal Clear
- Hifiman Arya Stealth
- Meze 109 Pro
- Focal Radiance

That's also in rough order of preference. Granted, the E3s are currently in the "honeymoon" phase, but I'm liking them a lot.
I'm in the third month of my honeymoon phase with the E3. They are amazingly tuned and realistic in how they present recordings.

Rhamnetin

I'm in the third month of my honeymoon phase with the E3. They are amazingly tuned and realistic in how they present recordings.

Yeah I've had the E3 since launch day, and all things considered it's still unrivaled to my ears. My EQ'd K371 isn't as perfect especially in the higher frequencies. Although my Zero:2 sounds great, I just don't favor in-ears for comfort reasons.

jazzvinyl2020

In order of preference / sound quality:

STAX SR-009s
7Hz Salnotes Crinacle Zero 2
AKG K712
Soundcore Q45
Beyerdynamic DT 240 PRO

spede

Currently own:
TH900 When i need noise isolation, dropping 6 KHz peak -5dB as EQ
HE500 No EQ, removed grills.
HE6SEV1 Oratory EQ with some values reduced, grills stay.
HD6XX No EQ

Past headphones:

Focal Clear : Good headphone expect soundstage mediocore
Focal Utopia: little bright, little bass light but most precise imaging and liquid
HE6SEV2: Headband of torment
HE400 OG: What is going on with vocals and treble
Arya V1: Bright and off timbre, bass light, headband creaks like banshee, massive sounding
Arya Stealth: Bright and bass light
Arya Organic: Super bright but not bass light, vocals have too much of a bite. If this was harman tuned out of the box it could be the best thing.
ZMF Aoelus: Wanted to like this but hazy
ZMF Atticus: Almost like reverse TH900, meaning boosted sub-bass changes to boosted mid bass, recessed vocals turn to shouty vocals and so on, wasn't my cup of tea.
HD700: Terror
HD8XX: Horror
HD600: Blergh
HD660: What happened to smoothness?
HD800 (sdr): Lord tinnitus with some impressive feats and clarity
DT-1990: Mount Everest of treble
Fidelio X2: Great for gaming but too meh for music
AKG 712 PRO: Somehow reminded me of poor mans HD800

Probably missed some but these ones i can recall.

DS_Construct

I have updated my collection since my last posting:

A&K/Empire Ears Odyssey
Empire Ears Legend X
Thieaudio V16 Divinity
Beyerdynamic Xelento
AKG n5005

Focal Utopia
DCA Stealth

Noble Focus Mystique
Bose Sport Earbuds
Focal Bathys

*Various cables EA, PW Audio and Audiophile Ninja

*Yes, I know they don't change the sound but I like the way they look.

Basic Channel

Truthear Zero Blue - great IEMs which made me discover this place. Suspect I'd need the timeless or other planar IEMs to hear anything audibly better.

Hifiman HE400SE - got these recently for 80eu on Amazon via returns. Changed the grills to the ones from custom cans which seems to make them less fatiguing in the highs but the difference in sound is more subtle than the looks. These are pretty incredible sounding headphones, hearing new bits in songs I'd heard 100 times. They have really nice spatial qualities, where I feel I can locate every element in it's place. On the downside they probably lack punch, or closeness. If that's a thing.

Monolith M565c - The ones I bought before discovering this site. Now modded with heavy rubber inside ear cup and different ear pads. The former makes them sound more closed which makes them sound better. They are kinda like the opposite of the HE400SE now with more bass, punch, and lacking in soundstage.

Mr Swing King

Sennheiser: HD580 Precision, HD58X, HD600, HD490 Pro
Hifiman: HE500, Edition XS
DCA: Aeon Flow Open X (for sale)
Moondrop: Para
Aune: AR5000

Previous: HD800, HD800S, HD700, HD650, HD6XX, HD660, Elear, Clear, Utopia, HE1000, HE6, Susvara, D7200, D2000, LCD-2, LCD-4, K701, K702, K612, K712, HFI2400, T1, DT880, DT770, DT900, DT700, DT1990, Amiron Home, T90, DT1350 and so forth. I used to keep a list of headphones I’d owned and later sold but after 250+ I simply stopped keeping score.

What I’ve learned from the above? Sound quality has nothing to do with price tag, absolutely nothing.

Top Bottom