• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

fotoalan

Too many, and mostly not for serious music listening.

"Real" headphones
  • Sennheiser HD580s. Bought used twenty years ago, the first and for a long time the only "serious" headphones I ever had. Still what I wear most at home
  • Sennheiser/Massdrop 6xx. Recent acquisition. Better sound than the 580s but less comfortable, so I only wear them when I'm really listening. Currently mostly driving them from the headphone output of my integrated amp, contemplating trying an E30/L30 instead.
  • AKG K551 bought a few years ago because of massively reduced price, seemed like a great deal. Don't like them, treble too shrill. Relegated to laptop video use
  • contemplating trying a pair of Sundara
Bluetooth
  • Sony MDR1000x noise cancelling for subway commuting & office use. Fine for those purposes, but since I haven't been in a subway or to the office since March, currently gathering dust.
  • Plantronics Backbeat Fit probably the 'phones that spend the most time on my head. Audiobooks & podcasts on the bike or grocery shopping, music at the gym. Fine to great for those purposes. Designed for running, so somewhat rain resistant & let in enough traffic noise to maintain situational awareness on the bike.
IEMs

Despite the inferior isolation I prefer the portability and comfort of IEMs to big, heavy noise cancellers for travelling.
  • Phonak Audeo the first and for years the only IEMs I ever had, so no real basis for comparison until they finally died on my last trip. Went shopping for a replacement, discovered what an amazing jungle the IEM market has become, ended up with two (so far) replacements
  • Tin HiFi T4 initially sounded brash and unsubtle compared to the oh-so-polite Phonaks, but I'm growing to like them
  • Meze Rai Solo haven't really listened enough to form an opinion yet

Last edited:
New member here, and one with also too many headphones ;)
- Abyss ab-1266tc
- Focal Stellia
- Focal Utopia
- Sennheiser HD800S
- Meze Empyrean
- Final A8000

4 actually need to go, but I am having a hard time deciding which. Cheerio!

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
New member here, and one with too many HP...
Welcome! With that stellar array of HP, I'm sure many members would appreciate your views on each individually and in comparison! Even though ASR is classed 'Objectiveist', subjective views, particularly when 'comparative' to better 'anchor' them, are always appreciated, too.

If you so decide, it's always nice to also provide info about upstream hardware used with them, EQ settings if any, and the type of music you enjoy.

Again, Welcome!

Welcome! With that stellar array of HP, I'm sure many members would appreciate your views on each individually and in comparison! Even though ASR is classed 'Objectiveist', subjective views, particularly when 'comparative' to better 'anchor' them, are always appreciated, too.

If you so decide, it's always nice to also provide info about upstream hardware used with them, EQ settings if any, and the type of music you enjoy.

Again, Welcome!

Lol, true - the array of HPs is indeed stellar. I would not mind if Hoegaardener70 writes something poetic too .

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am happy to share some summarizing impressions (definitely on the subjective side) here. Please let me know if you'd like to know more and to guide me to the respective thread, since this one here is probably meant to be for short intros. I believe that headphones need to be evaluated against the music they are used to listen to - in my case classical (2/3) and metal/hardcore (1/3).

Let's start with the HD800S. A lot has been said and written about this headphone, and I had a long love-hate relationship with it myself. After a lot of trying out, I concluded that it is for me the most comfortable headphone I know. It has 330grams and no clamp so that I can use it with my glasses. That alone matters to me a lot, and it is my headphone used everyday for work, gaming, typing. Combined with a tube amp adding some warmth, it gives most current TOTL a run for its money. It works best with media and classical music.

The Meze Empyrean is one of my design favorites and nearly as comfy as the HD800S despite its weight. It is just cleverly made. It has been widely criticized for being a bit boring and indeed it does not stand out with its neutral signature and a certain lack of dynamics in the upper region. But it is the best headphone for badly mastered music (such as 80s odd metal outings) and it doesn't require any additional fancy equipment for amplification. In a way, it is an audiophile headphone for non-audiophiles ... get it together with a modest dac and be done with it, great neutral sound suitable for all music directions and sources. It has no wow factor, but maybe it is this which makes it a timeless investment.

Let's go to the one with a lot of 'wow-factor', the Abyss ab-1266 tc. If I am honest, I did not want to like this one ... the price is excessive and the design is ugly. But it just plays on a different level not in individual terms but as a package, it is a full assault on all senses in terms of wideness, dynamics and probably the best bass in a headphone but still in balance. Imagine a song playing with vivid guitars, pressing drums, a roaring bass guitar and electric guitars all around you but clearly identifiable. Add to this a very visceral bass effect moving air, and you have the sensation of the abyss. But it is really ugly, you take a year to get the right setting so that it becomes sufficiently comfortable (acceptable is the word here) and you have to mortgage your house.

PS: Since it is so hard to set up and adjust it to your headshape, you won't be able to demonstrate the wow factor to your significant other or friends, which makes it even harder to justify the cost;
PSII: There is just no better headphone for metal. Period. The tuning is aggressive and brings the guitar forward while still having the hammering drums and pounding bass, each song becomes your own headbanging event in your head;
PSIII: It is very good for piano concerts as well, bringing out the orchestra vs the pianist.

The Focal Utopia is a counterpoint to the Abyss, it oozes style and quality. Just taking it in your hand makes you feel that it is a special headphone. It delivers quite a punch (not in bass quantity, but in quality), is incredibly dynamic and tends to highlight specific instruments. Imagine a piano concerto where the piano is predominant with incredible focus. At the same time, each instrument has its own separate place in your headspace. Listening to the Utopia is intimate, but at the same time a spatial experience in a 3d room. The Utopia is very picky with its corresponding gear and with a bad pairing it can be either cold (hence people preferring the clear, which is less analytically tuned) or harsh. With a nice tube amp or the dedicated Focal Arche setting for the Utopia, it is audio heaven. Classical is the music of choice here.

The Stellia – I still have to listen to that one more extensively. Looks and build are outstanding, but it is definitely different from the Utopia, darker, more bass intensive and tuned for all types of music.

Finally, the Final (nice pun here!) A8000. It is a very controversial IEM, but for me it is an acquired taste which is unique. The IEM creates … similar to the Utopia, a spatial sound sphere where each instrument has its place. It is very intriguing to get this from an IEM, but the A8000 comes with a caveat. Its tuning is very bright which turns many people off, with good reason if one is not listening to classical. Consequently, the A8000 are a great IEM if one is open to the use of tasteful EQ. I love my quirky A8000.

Ok, sorry for rambling on....

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Ok, sorry for rambling on....
Please - keep doing so! Perhaps the most informative, concise, 'reviews' I've read..

Thanks! Looking forward to your future contributions on any other HP/IEM you experience..:)

You also bring a view not widely held here (I think that's fair to state..) - a positive one on tube amps. Your future views on specifics here I'm sure will be interesting..

Again - very welcome!

Last edited:
Please - keep doing so! Perhaps the most informative, concise, 'reviews' I've read..

You also bring a view not widely held here (I think that's fair to state..) - a positive one on tube amps. Your future views on specifics here I'm sure will be interesting..!

Oh! I was not aware that I'd enter dangerous territory there. I used to dislike tube amps, thinking they are a distortion. I meanwhile think that they add a certain element of warmth which is not needed for most headphones. But for some - and here the HD800S comes to mind - it creates terrific synergies.

I did not answer the gear question yet - my goto devices are the ifi pro idsd and ifi iCan Pro. The latter has upgraded vintage W396A tubes. Since it also has a separate solid state circuit, it is easy to switch between the two. I use the tube only for the HD800S, Abyss and sometimes Utopia.

KingFiercer

Back then I had Beyerdynamic DT250 and Sennheiser HD600, then Beyerdynamic T1, HiFiMAN HE-6, Audeze LCD-2. Used with Audio-GD Reference 8 DAC and Beta22 amp. After that, there was a downgrade to ATH-ESW11LTD, and now I'm using Sennheiser HD660S with inexpensive Fostex HP-A4BL DAC and AT-HA22TUBE amp. I think Sennheisers and ATH are great in terms of intimacy and naturalness of midrange, without being too analytical in presentation, and they also sound great with my Vivo Xplay 6 smartphone.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Got my Philips X2HR 'phones yesterday. Immediately noticed the sibilance. Tried eq-ing it out, which didn't quite work. So I went to a solution I got from a well-known audio engineer, placing a circle of Viva paper towel over the driver, held in place by the [beautifully designed] earpad. Did a better job of reducing the overcooked treble than using eq. It's still colored up there, compared to the Drop 6XX. There are compensations in the solidity of the lower registers, the clarity of the mids and the stereo imaging. I really like the headphone cable being easily replaced by anything with a 3.5mm connector on either end. The X2HR 'phones do have comfortable pads, but compared to the 6XX, it's a wash. Biggest advantage is in the bass. They can be eq-ed to have really deep bass, though one needs to cut at 60 hz if one doesn't want the sound to get too thick.

brachypelma44

Had a bit of a busy weekend, what with the sales going on. So much to research. Now I have these items coming:

Drop HD 6XX (allegedly shipping on Nov 27th)

A balanced 4-pin XLR cable for the 6XX from Periapt

Hifiman Sundara (if I like it in general with the stock SE cable, will get a balanced cable for it as well)

Monolith THX 788 amp/DAC

Last edited:

BusDriver

Hi everyone, long time lurker first time poster here. I'm a neuroscience researcher so even before going into the audiophile world I had some knowledge of the fallibility of human perception, cognition, and memory. From day 1 the wild prices and claims about random boutique gear raised multiple red flags for me. So it's pretty great that I found this forum where I can read actual science and measurements (audio falls outside of my expertise so I personally don't have much to share on that front).
I currently own:

Focal Utopia,
Focal Elex,
Senn HD800S
Senn HD650
Hifiman Arya
Drop/Hifiman HE4XX
ATH M50X
ATH WP900
Stax SR-007mk2 (arriving next week)

micard

Wow i am really impressed by how many (expensive) headphones many of you have. Where do you even store all of those...? ;)

I have only my AKG K812 and sold (shipped back) all others I had (tested). Came from listening to music only on my speakers (which I still somewhat prefer).

what i had intensely tested:
- AKG K702: I really enjoyed those, especially on the PC for gaming. Awesome wide and spacious, true 3D sound HPs. For music, I found them lacking just a little on the lower end, which I couldn’t EQ in.
- Sony WH1000-XM3: totally terrible to my ears. ANC makes my ears hurt after 20-30 minutes, feels like strong pressure is building up. Still without ANC it’s terrible, super bassy, muddy, no Details. Couldn’t understand how there were so many positive reviews. With EQ it gets much better, but it only works in SBC then (!). In passive mode on the topping DAC and the EQ profile from AutoEQ it sounded rather good, but obviously that is not what it's supposed to be used for.
- Focal Elegia: wanted to complement the K812 with a more balanced and closed HP without losing details and clarity. Thought they are good but to me they sounded to compressed, constrained, no soundstage. plus I get hot ears after 30mins. I figured that closed back is not for me.
- I really love the K812 but acknowledge that the Great details come from some treble peaks. For some music and for gaming it’s a non-issue, they are the most immersive sound i ever heard. For some music, however, the treble gets uncomfortable after some time. After googling it I quickly found that I am not the only one realizing that, and that on second look there are many critical voices about K812 for that. Luckily, it is quite easy to EQ the harshness away while still keeping detail and clarity! Makes the perfect HP for me and since I have not felt I need anything more. Using it as a headset on PC with an Antlion USB mic, which works perfectly.

My biggest issue that I am listening to music a lot in the office, where i can't use open-back obviously, and must be able to take calls quickly without switching headphones. So I am mostly listening on my work-supplied Jabra biz 2400 II duo headset, which is really comfortable (on-ear, super light) but sound is very "mediocre". I didn't succeed in EQ'ing them to my taste (also used the hearing-treshold EQ of Peace) and tried lots of EQ settings. No idea where I am heading with that, one of the main reasons I am also lurking around this place.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow i am really impressed by how many (expensive) headphones many of you have. Where do you even store all of those...? ;)

I have only my AKG K812 and sold (shipped back) all others I had (tested). Came from listening to music only on my speakers (which I still somewhat prefer).

what i had intensely tested:
AKG K702: I really enjoyed those, especially on the PC for gaming. Awesome wide and spacious, true 3D sound HPs. For music, I found them lacking just a little on the lower end, which I couldn’t EQ in.
Sony WH1000-XM3: totally terrible to my ears. ANC makes my ears hurt after 20-30 minutes, feels like strong pressure is building up. Still without ANC it’s terrible, super bassy, muddy, no Details. Couldn’t understand how there were so many positive reviews.
Focal Elegia: wanted to complement the K812 with a more balanced and closed HP without losing details and clarity. Thought they are good but to me they sounded to compressed, constrained, no soundstage. plus I get hot ears after 30mins. I figured that closed back is not for me.
I really love the K812 but acknowledge that the Great details come from some treble peaks. For some music and for gaming it’s a non-issue, they are the most immersive sound i ever heard. For some music, however, the treble gets uncomfortable after some time. After googling it I quickly found that I am not the only one realizing that, and that on second look there are many critical voices about K812 for that. Luckily, it is quite easy to EQ the harshness away while still keeping detail and clarity! Makes the perfect HP for me and since I have not felt I need anything more.
I agree with you on K702 front, it's my favourite headphone for those reasons, but it does need to be EQ'd....if you can get your hands on another K702 try my Harman Curve EQ that I did which is based on "calibrated" Innerfidelity measurements, with the "calibration" process creating a target curve that makes somewhat flawed Innerfidelity measurements as relevant/accurate as Oratory1990 measurements (subject to argument)......low end is great with this EQ and clean bass too:
K702 Innerfidelity Downloaded Harman Target.jpg
I find K702 so good now that this is my end journey for searching for a headphone, I'm gonna buy another pair in a sale in case they stop making them!

micard

I agree with you on K702 front, it's my favourite headphone for those reasons, but it does need to be EQ'd....if you can get your hands on another K702 try my Harman Curve EQ that I did which is based on "calibrated" Innerfidelity measurements, with the "calibration" process creating a target curve that makes somewhat flawed Innerfidelity measurements as relevant/accurate as Oratory1990 measurements (subject to argument)......low end is great with this EQ and clean bass too:
View attachment 96905
I find K702 so good now that this is my end journey for searching for a headphone, I'm gonna buy another pair in a sale in case they stop making them!
Excellent info, if I had known the AutoEQ ressources (oratory, crinacle, innerfidelity, etc.) back then, maybe I would have never upgraded to K812 :) I still think the 812 are better, especially better built, but SQ-wise only slightly and taking cost into account, the K702 are absolutely awesome (they are what, 120€ new today?!)

EDIT: just saw that you also have NAD HP 50, which I was seeing on ebay for ~100€ and was close to buying them. But was afraid of the closed-back issues for me found with Elegia. Could you comment on them, especially comparing them to your K702 and long-wearing comfort?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent info, if I had known the AutoEQ ressources (oratory, crinacle, innerfidelity, etc.) back then, maybe I would have never upgraded to K812 :) I still think the 812 are better, especially better built, but SQ-wise only slightly and taking cost into account, the K702 are absolutely awesome (they are what, 120€ new today?!)

EDIT: just saw that you also have NAD HP 50, which I was seeing on ebay for ~100€ and was close to buying them. But was afraid of the closed-back issues for me found with Elegia. Could you comment on them, especially comparing them to your K702 and long-wearing comfort?
Sure, yeah, I'll give you a rundown of NAD HP50 (closed back) experience. I didn't like them when I first had them, I had the K702 to compare against them at the time, and they sounded a bit muddy the HP50, but I applied the Oratory1990 EQ for the HP50 and that improved it a lot, got rid of the muddiness. I did further improve the HP50 by developing my own EQ using Oratory's measurements, which is a closer EQ to the target curve, and I think I positioned the Target Curve more optimally on the measurement before EQ'ing which resulted in being able to use lower Q parametric filters as well as needing less of a negative preamp too.....this EQ sounds better to me than the Oratory EQ with more detail in the treble as he decided to EQ down a portion of it below the Harman Curve, here's my EQ if you're curious:
NAD HP50 Oratory my own EQ.jpg
I also did a mod to reduce headband resonance, which was simply wrapping a rubber band around each "metal spindle" and then using black electrical tape to secure it...kind of like the rubber vibration dampener they use on tennis racket strings (back in the day). I noticed improvement in clarity with this mod....but no real way to turn the mod on & off quickly for testing (of course), so that's my subjective impression, but I think it did improve matters. Headband resonance on HP50 has been measured out there on the internet if you google it. Here's a pic of my mod:
HP50 Headband Resonance Mod (b).jpg
So after these mods & EQ I like the HP50 more than my Senn HD600, it has better imaging & soundstage than the HD600 in terms of it's a less "in your head" experience....closer to listening to speakers feel than the HD600 which is suprising to me since they are closed back. The HP50 also has fantastic clean bass extension, whilst almost having the detail/character in vocal areas as the HD600. The mods & EQ help in all these areas though, I wouldn't want to use it stock....it's ok stock, just can be greatly improved. Awesome for bass the HP50, and proven very low distortion across the whole frequency range (https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/nad-viso-hp50/), and just generally a very smooth headphone.

You commented on hot ears with closed back. Yes, definitely hotter ears than my open back K702 & HD600! But, it wasn't something that bothered me, and I've worn HP50 for hours. One noticeable thing re HP50, the earcups are quite small and my ears fit perfectly inside of it, as in I couldn't really have bigger ears and still use it! Wearing my K702 & HD600 you can feel the extra physical space around your ear in comparison to the HP50.

Last edited:

micard

Sure, yeah, I'll give you a rundown of NAD HP50 (closed back) experience. I didn't like them when I first had them, I had the K702 to compare against them at the time, and they sounded a bit muddy the HP50, but I applied the Oratory1990 EQ for the HP50 and that improved it a lot, got rid of the muddiness. I did further improve the HP50 by developing my own EQ using Oratory's measurements, which is a closer EQ to the target curve, and I think I positioned the Target Curve more optimally on the measurement before EQ'ing which resulted in being able to use lower Q parametric filters as well as needing less of a negative preamp too.....this EQ sounds better to me than the Oratory EQ with more detail in the treble as he decided to EQ down a portion of it below the Harman Curve, here's my EQ if you're curious:
View attachment 96971
I also did a mod to reduce headband resonance, which was simply wrapping a rubber band around each "metal spindle" and then using black electrical tape to secure it...kind of like the rubber vibration dampener they use on tennis racket strings (back in the day). I noticed improvement in clarity with this mod....but no real way to turn the mod on & off quickly for testing (of course), so that's my subjective impression, but I think it did improve matters. Headband resonance on HP50 has been measured out there on the internet if you google it. Here's a pic of my mod:
View attachment 96974
So after these mods & EQ I like the HP50 more than my Senn HD600, it has better imaging & soundstage than the HD600 in terms of it's a less "in your head" experience....closer to listening to speakers feel than the HD600 which is suprising to me since they are closed back. The HP50 also has fantastic clean bass extension, whilst almost having the detail/character in vocal areas as the HD600. The mods & EQ help in all these areas though, I wouldn't want to use it stock....it's ok stock, just can be greatly improved. Awesome for bass the HP50, and proven very low distortion across the whole frequency range (https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/nad-viso-hp50/), and just generally a very smooth headphone.

You commented on hot ears with closed back. Yes, definitely hotter ears than my open back K702 & HD600! But, it wasn't something that bothered me, and I've worn HP50 for hours. One noticeable thing re HP50, the earcups are quite small and my ears fit perfectly inside of it, as in I couldn't really have bigger ears and still use it! Wearing my K702 & HD600 you can feel the extra physical space around your ear in comparison to the HP50.

Really awesome, thanks! I am keeping an eye out for another used HP50 offer.
Btw, what's that fancy EQ app you are using? Looks much better than Peace and you can visualize how the different curves sum up

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just added HIFIMAN Aryas to my setup. They join my Audeze LCD-3 and Focal Clears. I can’t believe I’ve spent over $3k on headphones. :facepalm:

Over the next two weeks I’m going to doing some serious comparative listening using my Topping DX7 Pro. I have chosen 9 songs I know very well and will be listening both unEQed and EQed using oratory1990’s parametric EQ settings. The plan is to choose a single pair and sell or return the others.

Should be fun :)

Martin

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Really awesome, thanks! I am keeping an eye out for another used HP50 offer.
Btw, what's that fancy EQ app you are using? Looks much better than Peace and you can visualize how the different curves sum up
That EQ App is REW, it can be used for RoomEQ purposes, but I also use it as a tool to see the effect of parametric filters on a headphone measurment - so I use it as a tool to create a set of EQ filters.....I then apply those EQ filters in EqualiserAPO directly (rather than using PEACE, which sits on top of EqualiserAPO). So the screenshot of my EQ filters you've seen, that's REW, and is just used to create the filters, not to actually apply them....I apply them in EqualiserAPO.

I think if HP50 is gonna fit the physical size of your ears ok, and if you're open to using EQ on that headphone, then I think it's a solid choice for a closed back headphone......I do like the EQ'd NAD HP50, it's got great potential!

Robin L

Master Contributor
It's a very good alrounder, and although I, soundstagewise, find the K702 a bit more 'immersive', the X2Hr's open and spacious soundstage is still capturing; and contrary to the K702 - being brutally honest and absolutely picky, and non-forgiving with regard to the quality of the recording - the X2HR are very forgiving. I guess, you will like it.

I recommend Oratory1990's eq, IMO, a must.

In order to prepare you for the awaited arrival of the phones, let's listen to one of the great subjectivists:

"It simply is an excellent headphone that will be hard not to like sound wise. I can see people enjoying this headphone more than the good old Sennheiser HD600. Everyone always compares these 2 models and it’s only normal once you’ve heard both. The X2 however to me is more balanced, has softer treble and delivers a great sound stage while keeping the open sound. And you don’t need any amplification at all to make it sound its best, unlike the HD600. I have to admit I prefer the X2 over the HD600 as well."
https://www.headfonia.com/philips-fidelio-x2-evolution-sound/3/

I found the X2HRs to be remarkably good with my cheap, low power DAP, the Fiio M3K. My eq solution for the sibilance is cutting out two 50mm circles of Viva towel per earcup, with radial slits cut in the center:

IMG_20201203_115820761.jpg

Both layers are cut the same way. The treble balance is smoothed out, the sibilance goes away. I'm okay with the bass balance as is.

Bob-23

I found the X2HRs to be remarkably good with my cheap, low power DAP, the Fiio M3K. My eq solution for the sibilance is cutting out two 50mm circles of Viva towel per earcup, with radial slits cut in the center:

View attachment 97119

Both layers are cut the same way. The treble balance is smoothed out, the sibilance goes away. I'm okay with the bass balance as is.

Interesting!

Glad to hear, that you like it!

I, BTW, zip-tied the flexible headband to the upper 'leathered' metal strings (did the same with the K702) - don't like any pressure on my head.

Enjoy the music!

Top Bottom